Re: [Hammock Camping] Fabric length

  • shokulan
    Message 1 of 51 , Jan 21, 2009
      MacGyver,

      I got a cheap US$25.00 Travel Hammock. This is basically nylon,
      hemmed, and with a 2-inch hem on each end. The cloth on end hems is
      sewn shut back and forth about 3 times. These hammocks come with a
      doubled over length of nylon rope (total length about 2 feet) from
      which to hang the hammock. I have used mine nightly for over a year
      (I sleep in one at home as well as on the trail). It's got a few
      stretch marks in it, but is still going strong--even with the cat
      hopping in and out. I used it as a pattern for a second hammock
      (wider and longer) that I now trade it with. This way I can wash the
      'sheets.'

      The second hammock is out of jean-grade polyester. It is heavy as all
      get out and doesn't slide. I do not like it as well, but had to find
      something to do with the cloth or throw it out. This hammock will
      probably last forever!

      I like the nylon precisely because it does slide. It makes it really
      easy for me to swivel around into the sweet spot or to use the hammock
      as a lazy-boy recliner, etc. Another bonus of nylon is that it does
      not hold odors the same way polyester does.

      It is incredibly easy to make your own. Just find a reasonable weight
      nylon cloth in a color and pattern you like. I don't think it needs
      to be much wider than 4 feet--too wide and it becomes too deep and too
      hard to get out of. Longer is nice. I'm about 5"3' and the Travel
      Hammock is a good 9 feet. This is a nice length. When you sew the
      loops on the end, make them wide enough for a biner. It is a whole
      lot easier to thread the rope through with the biner than without.

      You can check the Mosquito Hammock website
      <http://www.mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html> for details on
      how to sew the ends. The mosquito hammock is just so much more
      heavy-duty than the Travel Hammock.

      I like the hem with the ropes fed through because this makes for
      floppy sides and floppy sides make it easier to find 'wrinkles' to
      support knees and heels and neck.

      Make 2 of these while you're at it. Take one and save the other for a
      quick replacement, if the first one does let you down (literally). If
      you never sit in the hammock with pointy things in your pockets, then
      the hammock ought to easily last 6 months of nightly use. You ought
      to be able to make one that weighs <300 g (0.68 lbs)--this is the
      weight of my Travel Hammock including the loops of rope on the end, a
      cord lock, and a pocket that doubles as stuff-sac.

      CL
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 22, 2009
        another Option

        Check out

        <http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=244&level=2&parent=34>

        <http://www.paragear.com>

        Looking at page 2 under the Hardware section or search for the Item No's (Item: H336 or H336SS or 101 or 101SS) you have the following 1" cinch buckles ... page 1 has 'D' rings and there are tons of other goood stuff on the site inc. fabric, webbing, hardware, etc. I haven't seen a mention of a Min Order But I'm a walk in customer.

        Paragear has ALL you will need webbing cloth and hardware AND may also be able to do your sewing (remember they are making/ repairing Parachutes and Harnesses so they will do it right)

        Item: H336 1" QUICK FIT ADAPTER - 101

        H336 1" QUICK FIT ADAPTER - 101Same as No. H337 except this fits 1" wide webbing.
        Shipping Weight: 3 oz. (85g).
        Quantity Price Discounts:
        Price: 1 to 5 $2.50 6 to 19 $2.15 20 or more $1.75

        Item Price: $2.50

        Item: H336SS 1" STAINLESS STEEL QUICK FIT ADAPTER - 101SS

        H336SS 1" STAINLESS STEEL QUICK FIT ADAPTER - 101SS Similar to No. H336. Accepts 1" webbing. Tensile Strength: 500 lbs. (225kg). Shipping Weight: 3 oz. (85g).
        Quantity Price Discounts:
        Price: 1 to 5 $4.50 6 to 19 $3.85 20 or more $3.15

        Sapere Aude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein