My HH net is history!

  • bob_jaissle
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2009
      I recently destroyed the netting on my Exped - torn straight across
      from tie out to tie out.
      Apparenlty only Hennessy will do the repair (I've checked around), but
      I think I would like to try "top loading" for a while - at least while
      I'm trying to use the SS - with which I always found it very difficult
      using the "birth canal".
      If, when the weather warms, I get bugged too much, I might try some
      other netting option since I think the permanently attached netting has
      proven to be a little "extreme" for me.
      Does this plan sound crazy to anyone? Is there some reason the Exped
      won't "work" w/o the attached netting?
      Also, any suggestions on how to (or how not to) remove the netting?
      Thanks.
    • Blake Robert
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2009
        In much of the west one can go years w/o a bite from a mosquito, fly, etc. and most US places don't have an insect problem in winter. I bought a netless HH Assym. for that reason and am considering a Nonet Claytor as I have heard they are very comfy and light.

        You might consider selling off your current HH if you don't have that much use for it-and get a new HH.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2009
          Have you checked out the Clark hammocks? They are top loading with a
          zip off bug net.
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
          wrote:

          > In much of the west one can go years w/o a bite from a mosquito,
          fly, etc. and most US places don't have an insect problem in winter.
          I bought a netless HH Assym. for that reason and am considering
          a Nonet Claytor as I have heard they are very comfy and light.

          > You might consider selling off your current HH if you don't have
          that much use for it-and get a new HH.

        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2009
            Hi, Bob-

            If you just have a tear from end-to end, I wonder if you can sew, or have someone sew, a strip patch to repair it.

            Meanwhile, I have read that some people cut their ridge lines in the center, then tie in a load-safe carabiner to hold the halves together. Closing the rope carabiner returns the hammock to its original shape, while opening the carabiner allows the hammock to be flipped over for use as a top-loader.

            I've read about this, not tried it.

            Good Luck,

            Rosleen

            My HH net is history!
            Posted by: "bob_jaissle" jaissle@...<mailto:jaissle@...> bob_jaissle

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2009
              Hi,

              I have been lurking here for a while. I have been using a ULB HH since
              I started hammocking. I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a
              Blackbird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_9th7vQrZY) double layer. I
              like the design, the shelf, the zippered netting, and that the
              underquilts I already have will work with it. I also like that it's
              somewhat cheaper than the HH and not made in China, but by Brandon
              here in the states. It will work great with my 10x11 cat cut tarp,
              which I got from Preacha's Wife over at hammockforums. :)
              http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5879

              Lori

              wrote:

              > In much of the west one can go years w/o a bite from a mosquito,
              fly, etc. and most US places don't have an insect problem in winter. I
              bought a netless HH Assym. for that reason and am considering a Nonet
              Claytor as I have heard they are very comfy and light.

              > You might consider selling off your current HH if you don't have
              that much use for it-and get a new HH.

            • bob_jaissle
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
                wrote:

                > In much of the west one can go years w/o a bite from a mosquito, fly,
                etc. and most US places don't have an insect problem in winter. I
                bought a netless HH Assym. for that reason and am considering a Nonet
                Claytor as I have heard they are very comfy and light.

                > You might consider selling off your current HH if you don't have that
                much use for it-and get a new HH.

                Yeah, I haven't experienced "black fly season" here in the east, and
                I'm going to try not to, but in general, I don't seem to be too bugged
                by mosquitos, etc. and the bottom entry of the HH and the attached net
                seem better suited for someone who needs to be bug proof.

                From your experience, it sounds like the net isn't needed to make the
                hammock hang correctly, so for now I think I'm going to continue
                removing the net the same way it has ripped to this point. I'll
                continue using the hammock that way for a while anyway.
              • bob_jaissle
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lpon2000" <lorister@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I have been lurking here for a while. I have been using a ULB HH since
                  > I started hammocking. I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a
                  > Blackbird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_9th7vQrZY) double layer. I
                  > like the design, the shelf, the zippered netting, and that the
                  > underquilts I already have will work with it. I also like that it's
                  > somewhat cheaper than the HH and not made in China, but by Brandon
                  > here in the states. It will work great with my 10x11 cat cut tarp,
                  > which I got from Preacha's Wife over at hammockforums. :)
                  > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5879
                  >
                  > Lori

                  Thanks, I think. Part of the problem is there are too many choices out
                  there, a lot of different features and its hard to tell which ones
                  really "matter". The reason I went to a hammock originally was, I spent
                  a couple of nights in a borrowed ENO single and thought it was so
                  comfortable I had to get one. But, once I started looking around and
                  read about asyms, ridge lines, etc, etc, and wound up with the
                  Hennessy. I'm thinking now, if I change, maybe I should be going back
                  to a more basic hammock; but I will spring for a better tarp.

                  Bob
                • bob_jaissle
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
                    <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Bob-
                    >
                    > If you just have a tear from end-to end, I wonder if you can sew,
                    or have someone sew, a strip patch to repair it.

                    > Meanwhile, I have read that some people cut their ridge lines in
                    the center, then tie in a load-safe carabiner to hold the halves
                    together. Closing the rope carabiner returns the hammock to its
                    original shape, while opening the carabiner allows the hammock to be
                    flipped over for use as a top-loader.

                    > I've read about this, not tried it.
                    >
                    > Good Luck,
                    >
                    > Rosleen

                    Thanks for the idea, but the net is pretty well destroyed I think.
                    Its torn across the width and partially down one side. So, I think
                    I'll take it off completely, leave the ridge line in tact and "jump
                    in" from the top!

                    Bob