Another question from the Newby

  • hsteelejr
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
      I have another question regarding hammock camping.

      A tent is fully enclosed when being set up. From what I can tell from
      pictures of various camping hammock manufacturers websites a hammock
      isn't covered till you get the tarp over the ridge line.

      What keeps the rain from getting into the hammock while you set up?
      This question comes from living in South Louisiana where the weather
      can go from sunny to raining in a matter of minutes.

      Thanks again for your help. I continue to read through the old posts
      for answers to my questions as well.

      Harold
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
        On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:15 AM, hsteelejr <hsteelejr@...> wrote:

        > I have another question regarding hammock camping.
        >
        > A tent is fully enclosed when being set up. From what I can tell from
        > pictures of various camping hammock manufacturers websites a hammock
        > isn't covered till you get the tarp over the ridge line.
        >
        > What keeps the rain from getting into the hammock while you set up?
        > This question comes from living in South Louisiana where the weather
        > can go from sunny to raining in a matter of minutes.
        >
        > Thanks again for your help. I continue to read through the old posts
        > for answers to my questions as well.
        >
        > Harold

        Try putting the tarp up first. :]

        Ralph

      • Harold Steele Jr
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
          I appreciate the help.  I feel like a fish out of water.  I've done some tent, popup camping, and used a travel trailer a couple times.  At 60 years old I was rather excited to hear about the possibility of not having to sleep on the ground while traveling on the scooter.

          Looking at set up instructions the ridge line for the most part connects to the lines that hang the hammock.  How do you put the tarp up first in this situation?  I have noticed that all hammocks don't set up the same but not having decided on the hammock manufacturer so this decision will depend on the information that I acquire here.

          Also I've checked the manufacturers that have been named in messages in this group since I joined. I'm sure that there are others but being new I would prefer to have information from those who have used the various hammocks.

          Harold

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
            On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

            > I appreciate the help. I feel like a fish out of water. I've done some
            > tent, popup camping, and used a travel trailer a couple times. At 60 years
            > old I was rather excited to hear about the possibility of not having to
            > sleep on the ground while traveling on the scooter.
            >
            > Looking at set up instructions the ridge line for the most part connects to
            > the lines that hang the hammock. How do you put the tarp up first in this
            > situation? I have noticed that all hammocks don't set up the same but not
            > having decided on the hammock manufacturer so this decision will depend on
            > the information that I acquire here.
            >
            > Also I've checked the manufacturers that have been named in messages in
            > this group since I joined. I'm sure that there are others but being new I
            > would prefer to have information from those who have used the various
            > hammocks.
            >

            > Harold

            depending on the hammock and the weather.....

            One of the neat things about most hammocks is that you have lots of
            options!!!

            If the weather is really crummy, run a separate line and put the tarp up
            first to give you dry space to operate in.

            If it is only moderately crummy, drape the tarp over the hammock as you
            hang,

            If it really isn't all that bad, just hang em.

            With my HH, the tarp and the hammock can be hung simultaneously.

            Others will chime in on their specific hanging systems

            As with all new camping technologies, try it at home first.

            Ralph

            PS
            you mentioned you are a scooter rider:

            over the years we've seen a lot of cyclists, motorcyclist and scooter people
            ask about hanging from a single tree and their ride. The amount of tension
            that is generated on the support lines will easily pull your vehicle over
            unless it has good support guys.

            But you (or others) just may come up with a good single tree hanging
            system. :]

          • Barb
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
              With the Clark hammocks (which I own and I don't know much about the others) the tarp is attached so you could just leave it wrapped around the outside of the hammock itself  as you hang one end, and then as you stretch it out to hang the other side you can just make sure that the tarp is over the hammock itself.  The tarps actually velcro around the ends of the hammocks sort of like a pod.  There is a video on youtube on how to set up the hammock and you might find the useful.  You could probably even stuff the whole hammock down the front of your rain jacket as you tie up one end and then fee the rest of the hammock out as you stretch it over to the other tree with the tarp over the top.  Not sure if this makes sense and I have not actually set up in the rain but have been through some really bad rain/thunder storms while in the Clark Hammock and stayed dry as a bone.....and all my gear was dry too!  I think these Hammocks are awesome for
              hot/cold/buggy/rainy weather.  I have often joked with my husband that we could now be homeless since we have the best shelters in the world with our hammocks!

              Best of luck,

              Barb
              > I appreciate the help. I feel like a fish out of water. I've done some
              > tent, popup camping, and used a travel trailer a couple times. At 60 years
              > old I was rather excited to hear about the possibility of not having to
              > sleep on the ground while traveling on the scooter.
              >
              > Looking at set up instructions the ridge line for the most part connects to
              > the lines that hang the hammock. How do you put the tarp up first in this
              > situation? I have noticed that all hammocks don't set up the same but not
              > having decided on the hammock manufacturer so this decision will depend on
              > the information that I acquire here.
              >
              > Also I've checked the manufacturers that have been named in messages in
              > this group since I joined. I'm sure that there are others but being new I
              > would prefer to have information from those who have used the various
              > hammocks.
              >

              > Harold

              depending on the hammock and the weather.....

              One of the neat things about most hammocks is that you have lots of
              options!!!

              If the weather is really crummy, run a separate line and put the tarp up
              first to give you dry space to operate in.

              If it is only moderately crummy, drape the tarp over the hammock as you
              hang,

              If it really isn't all that bad, just hang em.

              With my HH, the tarp and the hammock can be hung simultaneously.

              Others will chime in on their specific hanging systems

              As with all new camping technologies, try it at home first.

              Ralph

              PS
              you mentioned you are a scooter rider:

              over the years we've seen a lot of cyclists, motorcyclist and scooter people
              ask about hanging from a single tree and their ride. The amount of tension
              that is generated on the support lines will easily pull your vehicle over
              unless it has good support guys.

              But you (or others) just may come up with a good single tree hanging
              system. :]

            • Arye P. R.
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                snakeskin's can be / are waterproof depending upon what you make them of and if left in place while setting up the hammock and ridge line for the tarp all will be dry

                <http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html#snakeskins> scroll to bottom of page

                as to 'hanging from a single tree and your ride' I just thought of this...

                if the motorcycle is over 500lbs a strap over the seat connecting the footpegs, under the engine or the lower tripletree (part of the bike) as an anchor for a second upright at least 6-7ft hi may work to anchor a second upright and therefor providing the 2nd hammock anchor point. The 2nd vertical should be in line with the rear wheel and close to the rear of the cycle. Keep the motorcycle in gear and on the side stand because if at the front the pull may pull the it forward and off the stand (ouch). You will want your upright as tall as possible so the pull is as vertical as possible on the anchor.

                NOTE : I just thought of this and as it is 10 below 0 (35 below 0 F windchill) here in Chicago I'm not about to run out and try it even if in my garage!

                Sapere Aude,

                Arye P. Rubenstein

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
[...]

                  Cool,

                  I like thinking ouside the box, use the cycle for dead weight.

                  Now we gotta come up with an easily transportable pole?

                  Ralph

                  PS I guess bicyclist could just use a large friend for dead weight (dead or
                  not) :]

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                    Arye, actually the way the forces work you want the mass as far away from
                    the pole as practical. Depending on the size of the bike (or large friend)
                    :]

                    Ralph

                    On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Arye P. R. <aprarye@...> wrote:

                    > snakeskin's can be / are waterproof depending upon what you make them of
                    > and if left in place while setting up the hammock and ridge line for the
                    > tarp all will be dry
                    >
                    > <http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html#snakeskins> scroll to
                    > bottom of page
                    >

                    > as to 'hanging from a single tree and your ride' I just thought of this...
                    >
                    > if the motorcycle is over 500lbs a strap over the seat connecting the
                    > footpegs, under the engine or the lower tripletree (part of the bike) as an
                    > anchor for a second upright at least 6-7ft hi may work to anchor a second
                    > upright and therefor providing the 2nd hammock anchor point. The 2nd
                    > vertical should be in line with the rear wheel and close to the rear of the
                    > cycle. Keep the motorcycle in gear and on the side stand because if at the
                    > front the pull may pull the it forward and off the stand (ouch). You will
                    > want your upright as tall as possible so the pull is as vertical as possible
                    > on the anchor.
                    >
                    > NOTE : I just thought of this and as it is 10 below 0 (35 below 0 F
                    > windchill) here in Chicago I'm not about to run out and try it even if in my
                    > garage!
                    >

                    > Sapere Aude,
                    >
                    > Arye P. Rubenstein
                    >

                    > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
                    > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education... Albert Einstein
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Arye P. R.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                      but with the mass further away it becomes easier to drag the weight horizontially... consider you have at most a 3x3in patch of rubber for friction against at best concrete/blacktop and at worst loose dirt/sand. You will need a large and firmly placed wheel chok to increase the friction factor. I'm guessing there is a point where all will need to be considered for lifting vs draging the dead weight.

                      as to the upright -
                      how about 2- 3.5 foot sections of 2x2 inch O.D. thick walled aluminum box tubing joined with 1 foot sections inside and out (6in overlap on each 3.5ft section). any sugestions?
                      I prefer to lay diagionally with more sag so higher hammock tie points are needed.

                      Sapere Aude,

                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                      ________________________________

                      On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Arye P. R. <aprarye@ameritech. net> wrote:

                      > snakeskin's can be / are waterproof depending upon what you make them of
                      > and if left in place while setting up the hammock and ridge line for the
                      > tarp all will be dry
                      >
                      > <http://hennessyhamm ock.com/new- products. html#snakeskins> scroll to
                      > bottom of page
                      >

                      > as to 'hanging from a single tree and your ride' I just thought of this...
                      >
                      > if the motorcycle is over 500lbs a strap over the seat connecting the
                      > footpegs, under the engine or the lower tripletree (part of the bike) as an
                      > anchor for a second upright at least 6-7ft hi may work to anchor a second
                      > upright and therefor providing the 2nd hammock anchor point. The 2nd
                      > vertical should be in line with the rear wheel and close to the rear of the
                      > cycle. Keep the motorcycle in gear and on the side stand because if at the
                      > front the pull may pull the it forward and off the stand (ouch). You will
                      > want your upright as tall as possible so the pull is as vertical as possible
                      > on the anchor.
                      >
                      > NOTE : I just thought of this and as it is 10 below 0 (35 below 0 F
                      > windchill) here in Chicago I'm not about to run out and try it even if in my
                      > garage!
                      >

                      > Sapere Aude,
                      >
                      > Arye P. Rubenstein
                      >

                      > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
                      > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education... Albert Einstein
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                        I'm gonna have to do a free body diagram........ Vectors........

                        lets see 500 lbs of tension at 30° from horizontal......

                        vertical support post.......

                        Optimal angle for the guy line....?

                        estimate static friction values of dirt.......

                        Later :]

                        Probably gonna need a foot plate so you don't punch the tube into the soil.
                        2 inch tubing seems like over kill :]

                        This can be fun.

                        Ralph

                      • Arye P. R.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                          Ralph,
                          are you a mechanical engineer or just like figuring this stuff out?
                          My bike is actually about 620lbs (a BMW 1993 K11RS) and I am 5'8" 300+lbs

                          I can also put it on the center-stand if needed

                          > "2 inch tubing seems like over kill"
                          I'd rather be safe than sorry and remember there is a joint in the middle. any other ideas / recommendations for the vertical post.

                          Thanks

                          Sapere Aude,

                          Arye P. Rubenstein

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                            On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Arye P. R. <aprarye@...> wrote:

                            > Ralph,
                            > are you a mechanical engineer or just like figuring this stuff out?

                            Worse......physicist

                            Ralph

                            PS my business card says this:

                            Poet, adventurer, natural philosopher, balloon bender, pragmatic anarchist,
                            paddy ducker, sneetch watcher, snow camping enthusiast, scout games
                            authority, armchair explorer, hammock hanger, aerial imagery specialist,
                            rock and roll history student, short distance backpacker, certified crop
                            advisor, hard science fiction aficionado, misguided gardener, precisionist,
                            award winning jello chef, antique tool collector, burger flipper, onion ring
                            connoisseur, alternative fuel stove builder, frisbee floater, environmental
                            sampler, sprinkler designer, backpacking and cooking and snow camping
                            equipment inventor, power point artist, potato field trial designer,
                            hydro-dynamic rocket launcher, *know it all*, Kamper.

                            I used to be an Antelopee�.

                          • Richard Perlman
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                              Ralph Oborn wrote:
                              > I used to be an Antelopee....

                              I used to be a Bear... (still working my ticket, if I can..)

                              Rich

                            • Arye P. R.
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                                nothing wrong in my book with being a physicist!! wish I knew a few more and some chemists too. Since my dad and uncle passed I miss the resources. If not to point me to the right book. I still keep a old copy of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics around .
                                I like the floor plate idea. Ya think a tin can will work?

                                As a photographer Ive had to design and assemble lots of stuff from lots of things including magazine racks and computer monitor hoods from Fed-x boxes and contact paper.

                                OK Ill bite ...whats an Antelopee?

                                Sapere Aude,

                                Arye P. Rubenstein

                                ________________________________
                                > are you a mechanical engineer or just like figuring this stuff out?

                                Worse......physicist

                                Ralph

                                PS my business card says this:

                                Poet, adventurer, natural philosopher, balloon bender, pragmatic anarchist,
                                paddy ducker, sneetch watcher, snow camping enthusiast, scout games
                                authority, armchair explorer, hammock hanger, aerial imagery specialist,
                                rock and roll history student, short distance backpacker, certified crop
                                advisor, hard science fiction aficionado, misguided gardener, precisionist,
                                award winning jello chef, antique tool collector, burger flipper, onion ring
                                connoisseur, alternative fuel stove builder, frisbee floater, environmental
                                sampler, sprinkler designer, backpacking and cooking and snow camping
                                equipment inventor, power point artist, potato field trial designer,
                                hydro-dynamic rocket launcher, *know it all*, Kamper.

                                I used to be an Antelopee�.

                              • Wade Steene
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                                  Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                    I used to be an Antelopee... .

                                  Richard Perlman wrote:
                                    I used to be a Bear... (still working my ticket, if I can..)

                                    Soon to be a ? at C-04-09.  I can't wait!

                                  :

                                • Ralph Oborn
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                                    On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Wade Steene <cuicui97@...> wrote:

                                    > Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                    > I used to be an Antelopee... .
                                    >
                                    > Richard Perlman wrote:
                                    > I used to be a Bear... (still working my ticket, if I can..)
                                    >

                                    > Soon to be a ? at C-04-09. I can't wait!

                                    Behave yourself, say your prayers, call your mom once a week, help little
                                    old ladies across the street, and maybe you can be an Antelopee too.

                                    PS if anyone is interested I happen to know that the course being taught
                                    just outside of Rexburg Idaho in September will be special. :]

                                  • Ralph Oborn
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 15, 2009
                                      OK Ill bite ...whats an Antelopee?

                                      Sapere Aude,

                                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                                      When you reach a certain level as a boy scout leader you can attend an
                                      advanced management training course called Woodbadge. It isn't to teach you
                                      better ways to tie knots, but better ways to manage groups of people all
                                      taught in the scouting environment. It will literally change the way you
                                      look at organizations and group dynamics. Some businesses encourage their
                                      manager to participate in a course.

                                      My final tag line was code to all other woodbadge participants that I am a
                                      member of the antelope patrol. But to be cute I often deliberately
                                      misspelled it. So that no matter where I go (like here) I will have instant
                                      friends who think like me.
                                      I suspect that there are a lot scouters on this list, and probably quite a
                                      few woodbadge people.

                                      Ralph Oborn Pocatello
                                      I used to be an antelopee......

                                    • Barb
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 16, 2009
                                        WOW......a physicist with a GREAT sense of humor!� I'm impressed.

                                        > are you a mechanical engineer or just like figuring this stuff out?

                                        Worse......physicist

                                        Ralph

                                        PS my business card says this:

                                        Poet, adventurer, natural philosopher, balloon bender, pragmatic anarchist,
                                        paddy ducker, sneetch watcher, snow camping enthusiast, scout games
                                        authority, armchair explorer, hammock hanger, aerial imagery specialist,
                                        rock and roll history student, short distance backpacker, certified crop
                                        advisor, hard science fiction aficionado, misguided gardener, precisionist,
                                        award winning jello chef, antique tool collector, burger flipper, onion ring
                                        connoisseur, alternative fuel stove builder, frisbee floater, environmental
                                        sampler, sprinkler designer, backpacking and cooking and snow camping
                                        equipment inventor, power point artist, potato field trial designer,
                                        hydro-dynamic rocket launcher, *know it all*, Kamper.

                                        I used to be an Antelopee�.

                                      • be5755
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 16, 2009
                                          Hi,
                                          Im Tom- English newbie.

                                          Ive seen a couple of people using "freestanding hammocks". Essntially
                                          its a normal hammock but comes with its own supports. They are a bit
                                          like walking poles, but come with a cross shaped spacer halfway along
                                          their length. There are four support cords on each pole, which run from
                                          end to end, and each cord runs over an outstretched arm of the cross,
                                          so it looks almost like two pyramids base to base. You have the two
                                          poles with the hammock strung inbetween, then a couple of guy ropes
                                          coming from the poles. Obviously not ideal unless you have good firm
                                          ground, but I though id throw it into the mixer- maybe you could
                                          engineer something similar as your second support for scooter camping?
                                        • Matthew Takeda
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 17, 2009
                                            Hey Ralph -

                                            At 03:51 AM 16/01/2009, Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                            >I'm gonna have to do a free body diagram........ Vectors........
                                            >
                                            >lets see 500 lbs of tension at 30° from horizontal......
                                            >
                                            >vertical support post.......

                                            Random thoughts ...

                                            I did some thinking about this in 2007, but
                                            haven't looked into it any more since. IIRC, I
                                            came to the conclusion that I wanted the support
                                            post at an angle from the vertical, leaning away
                                            from the hammock and over the motorcycle. I'd
                                            have to guess on the angle, might have been
                                            around 40 - 45 degrees? More upright than the
                                            angle of the hammock support line.

                                            Anyway, the angle puts the mass of the motorcycle
                                            more directly under the top of the support so
                                            there's little force trying to drag it
                                            horizontally. More importantly, it lets us vector
                                            the forces from the hammock into the ground,
                                            instead of into the motorcycle. The support
                                            member is almost totally in compression and the
                                            weight of the motorcycle is not supporting much
                                            of the weight of the hammock, but was mostly
                                            stabilizing the support so it stays at the right
                                            angle. As long as the bottom of the support digs
                                            in and doesn't start sliding, it seems to work.

                                            As long as the rig was fairly straight laterally,
                                            it seemed stable. Once or twice it leaned over
                                            too far to one side, and would fall down.
                                            Actually, I wasn't observing directly, but I
                                            think when it got to a certain angle the bottom
                                            of the support would lose its grip on the ground
                                            and slide or flip out. Needs further
                                            experimentation to be sure. I was going to try
                                            tying a couple of guys from the top of the
                                            support to the wheels to add lateral stability, but never got around to it.

                                            I was using an old 2X4 I had lying around as a
                                            support, but I remember thinking that a 2X2 would
                                            probably work, too. Never got around to playing
                                            with the idea of collapsing/folding supports.
                                            Problem is that the angled support has to be a
                                            lot longer than a purely vertical one. I was
                                            probably using a good 7 feet of that 8 foot 2X4.

                                            Of course, I was trying in a place where the dirt
                                            is packed pretty firmly. If it were soft, the
                                            support would dig in deeper. If not too deep,
                                            that may be okay. Foot plate would stop it from
                                            digging in too much, but make it easier for the
                                            support to slide sideways, which is bad.

                                            Guess I should play with the idea some more.

                                            >This can be fun.

                                            I'm just here for the craic.

                                            Matthew Takeda
                                            the JOAT
                                          • Arye P. R.
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 17, 2009
                                              in my idea the collapsing/folding support is the problem point. The 500+lbs of dead weight should work.

                                              Sapere Aude,

                                              Arye P. Rubenstein

                                              ________________________________
                                              At 03:51 AM 16/01/2009, Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                              >I'm gonna have to do a free body diagram..... ... Vectors..... ...
                                              >
                                              >lets see 500 lbs of tension at 30° from horizontal.. ....
                                              >
                                              >vertical support post.......

                                              Random thoughts ...

                                              I did some thinking about this in 2007, but
                                              haven't looked into it any more since. IIRC, I
                                              came to the conclusion that I wanted the support
                                              post at an angle from the vertical, leaning away
                                              from the hammock and over the motorcycle. I'd
                                              have to guess on the angle, might have been
                                              around 40 - 45 degrees? More upright than the
                                              angle of the hammock support line.

                                              Anyway, the angle puts the mass of the motorcycle
                                              more directly under the top of the support so
                                              there's little force trying to drag it
                                              horizontally. More importantly, it lets us vector
                                              the forces from the hammock into the ground,
                                              instead of into the motorcycle. The support
                                              member is almost totally in compression and the
                                              weight of the motorcycle is not supporting much
                                              of the weight of the hammock, but was mostly
                                              stabilizing the support so it stays at the right
                                              angle. As long as the bottom of the support digs
                                              in and doesn't start sliding, it seems to work.

                                              As long as the rig was fairly straight laterally,
                                              it seemed stable. Once or twice it leaned over
                                              too far to one side, and would fall down.
                                              Actually, I wasn't observing directly, but I
                                              think when it got to a certain angle the bottom
                                              of the support would lose its grip on the ground
                                              and slide or flip out. Needs further
                                              experimentation to be sure. I was going to try
                                              tying a couple of guys from the top of the
                                              support to the wheels to add lateral stability, but never got around to it.

                                              I was using an old 2X4 I had lying around as a
                                              support, but I remember thinking that a 2X2 would
                                              probably work, too. Never got around to playing
                                              with the idea of collapsing/folding supports.
                                              Problem is that the angled support has to be a
                                              lot longer than a purely vertical one. I was
                                              probably using a good 7 feet of that 8 foot 2X4.

                                              Of course, I was trying in a place where the dirt
                                              is packed pretty firmly. If it were soft, the
                                              support would dig in deeper. If not too deep,
                                              that may be okay. Foot plate would stop it from
                                              digging in too much, but make it easier for the
                                              support to slide sideways, which is bad.

                                              Guess I should play with the idea some more.

                                              >This can be fun.

                                              I'm just here for the craic.

                                              Matthew Takeda
                                              the JOAT

                                            • Sandy Kramer
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 21, 2009
                                                jumping in late, but here are some stands from Byer's of Maine..

                                                check out the Madera wood hammock stand - not something you can take on
                                                your scooter, but interesting nevertheless.

                                                sandy in miami