Newby

  • hsteelejr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2009
      I'm new to the group. I've just recently become interested in
      hammock camping due to the fact that I'm a scooter owner and enjoy
      camping.

      While not as critical as backpacking I am interested in keeping
      packed size and weight down. I'm 6'6" and weight 220#. I live in
      South Louisiana so cold weather is few and far between. I'm looking
      for something that could stand cold weather if needed but isn't real
      critical. Something that would do good in heat and humidity, fog
      down here is a real pain, while having the ability to add for cold,
      at least in this area, mid 20's.

      In the summer nights are in the 70's with humidity in the 85 to 95%
      range isn't unusual. Vacations and now some work will be further
      north and could become cold but mainly things will be more summerlike
      most of the time.

      Also bugs are a big problem in the South. Would you believe highs
      today in the upper 50's and there were mosquitos were evident outside.

      Thanks for your assistance.

      Harold
      PS I don't feel like I've put my thoughts in any understandable
      order. If more information is needed please feel free to ask.
    • Scott Littlefield
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2009
        For someone just starting out in Hammocking, here are two sites that you
        just simply must visit.

        http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

        If bugs are a problem, I very seriously recommend you go with the Hennessy
        Hammock. They're very easy to figure out as a Hammock newbie, and have a
        built in bugnet. Fewer parts to fiddle with and mess around with. If rain
        is a major issue, you might want to upgrade the stock rainfly to their
        larger Hex fly, but it's not necessary.

        In the Hammock Forums there is a section with most of the best known and
        highest quality vendors, each having their own thread section - check those
        out to see what you like best.

        And more to your questions an heat - just about any hammock system will work
        for hot or cold weather. You will simply add an item or two for cold
        weather and not take it in warmer weather. A cheap closed cell foam pad
        really works wonders for heat in a hammock (and you will find you want
        something similar even on warm nights - a cold back is common on nights as
        warm as 65* in a hammock). Then there are more expensive things like
        underquilts, down or synthetic, and can be anywhere from $100-$400. Myself,
        I live in Maine (yup, it gets cold - was neg. 14* F today) and I only use a
        pad (but I don't hammock in the crazy cold either).

        Good luck, and once you get through the minor learning curve on Hammocking,
        you'll find you never want to go to ground again. :)