Ripstop?

  • m2b1997
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009
      Just checking. Aren't the hammocks built by Ed and Hennessey normally
      made from ripstop nylon. They aren't using the sport nylon are they?
      I bought some ripstop last night and I'm little surprised by the BIG
      differences I noticed between the nylon hammock and the cotton
      hammock. Yeah, for outdoor use not much could beat nylon but indoor
      use...I'll take the cotton any day. It is so much better in many ways
      its incredible.

      I can use the cotton hammock for a chair(sitting with my legs crossed
      in the hammock, the backrest is great), but I wouldn't want to try it
      with the nylon, it's not rigid/stiff enough to allow you to lean back
      like the cotton is. The one annoying thing about nylon is how easily
      the foam pad slids around. That's going to take some getting used to.

      Admittedly, nylon does have the extra bit of water repellancy that
      cotton doesn't. Hence why I said for outdoor use nylon rules.

      MEANT 2B
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009
        m2b1997 wrote:
        > The one annoying thing about nylon is how easily
        > the foam pad slids around. That's going to take some getting used to.

        2 words: UNDER QUILT

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009
          Yeah, my Speer Hammocks are made from ripstop nylon. One wouldn't want to
          use cotton outside-absorbs water, stays wet & rots quickly. But it's easy
          to prevent nylon sleeping pads from sliding around inside a nylon hammock by
          using a 12"x12" square of shelf liner-yeah, the same stuff used to line
          kitchen shelves. A 5' piece at Wal-Mart is about 1$. Placed beneath the
          sleeping pad, it will prevent slipping & sliding. Of course, many folks do
          move on to underquilts for hammock warmth since they can eliminate the
          sleeping pads altogether..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Author, Hammock Camping book

          Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009
            I have also used 4-6 smears of silicone on the pad
            to prevent movement. You only need it on the torso
            half.

            Sent from my iPhone