Re: Hennessy Hammocks

  • Austin Meyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2009
      Trying to decide on a new sleep system,for years been on the ground with the roots and the rocks, wondering if a hammock might just be, the way too go.. I'm looking at a Hennessy Hammock, the hex tarp and supershelter. this along with my down sleeping bag and bivi should suit   any ideas anyone..

      Love the rain

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
        Have you checked out the Clark hammocks?  My husband and I took a long time to decide which hammock tents to buy, and we love our Clark Hammocks.  They are super cozy and keep you dry and are designed for the pickiest people on earth (like me).  These hammocks and their large tarps have kept us dry as a bone through a few very bad thunder/rain/wind storms.  I'll never sleep on the ground again if I can help it!  As posted in a previous post we use the Big Agnes insulated sleeping pads under us and with a down sleeping bag we stay really cozy.

        If you love to camp in the rain, sleeping up off the ground is the way to go, and the Clark hammocks have pockets for all your gear within easy reach.

        Good luck in your search,

        Barb

> [...]

        > allways pitch my MC Dlx low to block the cold wind, and
        > look for big
        > trees to cover the ends.
        > >
        > > I just purchased a Speer WT to help with wind block.
        > >
        > > Rodney
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On Jan 11, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Austin Meyer
        > <austin.47905@ ...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone used the Hennessey overcover? there's a
        > claim of a 6-10
        > degree advantage in cold weather, next question With a
        > Hennessey
        > hammock, MacCat Deluxe tarp and a JBR Nest with a type 2
        > weather
        > shield in mind , Will the open ended nature of the tarp
        > system keep
        > me warm and my feet dry on windy cold wet winter nights in
        > the
        > southern Appachains Been stuck on the ground way to long!

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
          Barb, you really have me interested in the Clark Hammocks. My only
          concern is that I'm used to sleeping diagonally...finding the sweet
          spot is great! and am wondering how people don't end up with back
          pain sleeping like a banana?

          I'm only 5' so would it be possible for me to get myself on the
          diagonal?

          anyone in South Florida with a Clark Hammock I could see/try out?

          thank
          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Barb <indybarb2002@...> wrote:

          > Have you checked out the Clark hammocks?  My husband and I took a
          long time to decide which hammock tents to buy, and we love our Clark
          Hammocks.  They are super cozy and keep you dry and are designed for
          the pickiest people on earth (like me).  These hammocks and their
          large tarps have kept us dry as a bone through a few very bad
          thunder/rain/wind storms.  I'll never sleep on the ground again if I
          can help it!  As posted in a previous post we use the Big Agnes
          insulated sleeping pads under us and with a down sleeping bag we stay
          really cozy.

          > If you love to camp in the rain, sleeping up off the ground is the
          way to go, and the Clark hammocks have pockets for all your gear
          within easy reach.

          > Good luck in your search,
          >
          > Barb
          >
          > --- On
        • Barb
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
            Hi Sandy:

            Using the insulated pad helps to push the hammock apart and it can be placed sort of diagonally, but if you are a back or stomach sleeper I'm not sure how well you can make yourself flat enough.  I'm a side sleeper and I do put myself diagonally into the hammock anyway to make it flatter.  I find sleeping in the hammock so comfortable I'd really like to hang it up in my house.....which I know some people do.

            Clark Hammocks has a guarantee, I think it's for two months, so if you don't like the hammock for ANY reason you can return it and get your money back.  That's what sold me on Clark in the first place.  Needless to say Clark did not get my hammock back as I have LOVED it from day one!  I think the Clark hammocks have some interesting features, storage pouches underneath, small storage pouches up by your head in which to put your glasses, ipod, headlamp, keys or whatever, a strap up by your head to pull yourself toward the head of the hammock in the middle of the night if you slip towards the middle (I have never used this but it's a good idea).  Even though I am married and I love snuggling with my hubby at home, it's kind of nice to have the privacy of your own spot while camping and be able to keep your personal stuff separate from someone elses.  When camping with our hammocks our campsites look so organized it looks like we showed up with only
            our hammocks since you can store so much stuff in the pouches underneath you.  I love being able to sit in my hammock to take off or put on my boots.  I just slip them into a plastic garbage bag and slip them into a pouch under me.  It prevents them from getting wet and cold while I'm sleeping, and if I need to step out of the hammock in the night there is not struggle to find them as they are right beneath me within easy reach.

            Maybe I should be a spokesperson for Clark : )

            Happy camping!

            Barb

            Barb, you really have me interested in the Clark Hammocks. My only
            concern is that I'm used to sleeping diagonally.. .finding the sweet
            spot is great! and am wondering how people don't end up with back
            pain sleeping like a banana?

            I'm only 5' so would it be possible for me to get myself on the
            diagonal?

            anyone in South Florida with a Clark Hammock I could see/try out?

            thank
            sandy in miami

            --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Barb <indybarb2002@ ...> wrote:

            > Have you checked out the Clark hammocks?  My husband and I took a
            long time to decide which hammock tents to buy, and we love our Clark
            Hammocks.  They are super cozy and keep you dry and are designed for
            the pickiest people on earth (like me).  These hammocks and their
            large tarps have kept us dry as a bone through a few very bad
            thunder/rain/ wind storms.  I'll never sleep on the ground again if I
            can help it!  As posted in a previous post we use the Big Agnes
            insulated sleeping pads under us and with a down sleeping bag we stay
            really cozy.

            > If you love to camp in the rain, sleeping up off the ground is the
            way to go, and the Clark hammocks have pockets for all your gear
            within easy reach.

            > Good luck in your search,
            >
            > Barb
            >
            > --- On

          • Rodney Diseker
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
              Austin,
              I have been using a HH for over 2 years, and I am happy
              with it. There are many hammocks to choose from, and several
              cottage makers in the US. I have 3 hammocks now, and
              just bought my first Under Quilt from Speer. You can also make
              your own. This is the best way to sleep in the woods, no doubt.
              Do some research on the web, and I am sure someone will
              help with any questions you have. My address is rod_knee_d at yahoo
              if you have problems finding anything.
              Rodney
              Sent from my iPhone

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
                Sounds like the Clark Hammock would be an excellent thing to combine
                with a moonbow gearskin
                <http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Gearskins/gearskin.html>.
                That way you needn't waste time loading and unloading the pockets.
                Just pack the pockets, then pack the hammock into the gearskin.

                CL
                who does not use a gearskin, but does stuff her hammock and undercover
                straight into her backpack--saves weight on stuffsacs.