Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: The crazy junk you can use

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
      Could it be that the socks inside the vapor barrier were too thick and
      the ones outside the vapor barrier were too thin? In other words, how
      damp were the socks inside the vapor barrier when you removed them? All
      your other inside layers were quite thin and the outside ones varied in
      thickness. All sock layers were reasonably loose, right?

      CL

      Dave Womble wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:
      >> 1. Why did the feet fail when I was doing the same exact thing to the
      >> feet that I did to the rest of the body??? This really has me
      >> stumped.
      >>

      > That is perplexing to me. I often just use vapor barriers on my feet
      > and they have always helped with me. My guess would be that maybe you
      > flexed your feet enough when you removed them to improve circulation?
      > But I can't figure why you were warmer when you removed them if
      > everything was working as it should.
      >
      > Dave
    • m2b1997
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
        Dave,

        I agree on the perplexing part. It doesn't seem like their should
        have been any difference. I still can't figure out any kind of
        logical, or illogical reason for why things went the way they did.

        Cara,

        Both layers of socks were the same make. They were a thermal work
        sock. Hence why I thought about and went out and bought a pair of
        nylon socks yesterday to give them a try as the under VB layer and
        see if that would change things around. I'm not sure how wicking
        nylon is versus maybe being more VB sided. Anyone care to take a
        stab at it, I am curious. I guess I'm too use to hanging around hot
        air balloons and always feeling ripstop nylon which is designed
        essentially as a VB.

        The socks were dry as far as I know when I removed the VB. I didn't
        really think to feel but since they had only been on a little over
        and hour and my feet had been in a cold environment the whole time
        that should have pretty much kept any kind of moisture to a bare
        minimum/unnoticible.

        I remember someone talking about the hand situation/comparison.
        Normally it seems like I sleep in one of three or four ways.
        Occasionally I sleep with my hands laying right next to the body,
        especially more so when I'm sleeping indoor/warm temps. If I'm
        laying on my side I normally raise both hands up and use them as
        a 'pillow' under the ear that facing down. Otherwise I can find
        myself with my arms crossed, quite often I have noticed this outside
        this past week. I'll have the arms crossed with the hands tucked
        inside, hence the ability of the hands to stay warm that way. The
        other method I have caught myself doing is to cross the hands and put
        them in the center of my chest. This wouldn't help to keep them
        warm. It seems like outside I have noticed a split between the hands
        crossed and placed on the chest and having the arms crossed and the
        hands laying by the opposite ribcage.

        How do you guy manage to keep batteries from dying on you almost
        instantly when winter hiking? LOL!!! I have had such bad luck
        recently, granted with a cell phone, keeping the batteries charged
        it's unbelievable. I was working shoveling snow all day today and
        the boss called. I had only had the phone turned on for about two
        hours since I last recharged it. By the time the two minute
        conversation was over the darn thing was already beeping at me
        telling me the battery was low. I kept the phone on the rest of the
        day, another 4 hours or so. When I got home the battery was showing
        fully charged. Then again it had been in my pocket the whole time
        other than when I pulleed it out to talk to the boss.

        I could see the mp3 player but reading would be difficult as the
        tendency to want to stay as much in the sleeping bag as possible to
        stay warm would make reading rather unpleasant I would think. I'm
        going to have to try that tonight here in the house and see what I
        think. That could be an option since I do have a wind up light that
        requires no batteries. Anymore I think I would use the wind up light
        versus using a Petzel headlamp. It may weigh slightly more but I
        don't have to worry about batteries running dead when I need them the
        most.

        MEANT 2B