RE: [Hammock Camping] Another night out, VERY unplanned

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2009
      M2b, you are a brave one! I'd consider both options at the same time!
      Wearing insulated clothing inside a sleeping bag is wise of course, but
      don't forget that if you don't have enough room inside the sleeping bag, you
      could be stretching it with the extra thick clothes & that could cause a
      loss of loft (& a loss of warmth). Down has little to no resistance to
      compression & if you overstuff the sleeping bag, you could cause it to lose
      warmth as the inner & outer shells are stretched different amounts causing
      the down to collapse & lose loft. This isn't as big a problem with
      synthetic bags, but it can also happen to them. In general of course, the
      more layers & the more down insulation you have, the warmer you will be.
      I'm a cold sleeper & I don't like being cold, so I'd try both the insulated
      clothes & the vapor barrier sheet. Stay warm & good luck..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc