Re: [Hammock Camping] Frost free?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2009
      > Thanks Dave, your input is most valuable. You & I have discussed vapor
      > barriers many times & I know your understanding comes from
      experience plus
      > your analytical mind! Some descriptions of vapor barriers by other
      people &
      > posted on various sites are confusing or even outright wrong.
      Thanks for
      > taking the time to write down your thoughts & for sharing them with
      > I often say that all outdoor fabrics used for camping exhibit some
      form of
      > vapor barrier-some fabrics are just better than others. Even
      no-see-um bug
      > netting is a vapor barrier-just not a very good one. Bug netting
      does hold
      > in some of your body heat & blocks a bit of cold wind as seen on
      > nights. I've even had snow inside my hammock when the bug net
      trapped some
      > of my expelled breath & allowed the moisture to condense, freeze &
      fall back
      > on my face as snow. In warmer temps, the bug net can trap enough
      body heat
      > & moisture to make me uncomfortably warm & clammy. So we all deal with
      > vapor barrier fabrics each time we camp. Dave's observation is
      correct that
      > we'll be more comfortable when we understand how vapor barriers work
      & how
      > to add, remove, or vent them when needed as conditions dictate.
      > outside temperature & humidity changes during a single night might
      > the camper to make appropriate changes to maintain comfort. While I
      wish it
      > was otherwise, no one fabric or vapor barrier is magically perfect
      for all
      > conditions-so its camper be ware..Ed

      Ed, I can't agree more with you about various fabrics and descriptions
      like vapor barrier, waterproof, and breathable. Our first inclination
      is to treat those terms as absolute... if it is a vapor barrier then
      it is a VAPOR BARRIER and no vapor can pass through it, if it is
      waterproof then it is WATERPROOF and no water can pass through it, and
      if it is BREATHABLE then it is breathable and vapor will always pass
      through it. Turns out, it doesn't always work that way. In fact it
      doesn't with many of the materials we use- especially fabrics. There
      are conditions (or requirements, qualifiers, etc.) that we often
      ignore or don't even hear that affect to what degree something is a
      vapor barrier, or waterproof, or breathable. Sometimes those little
      details are inconsequential, other times they make a difference in
      whether something performs the way we expect.