Re: [Hammock Camping] Staking down

  • Harold Steele Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and driving the stakes into the ground?

      Harold

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

        > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
        > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
        > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
        > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
        stake
        > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
        cover
        > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
        > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
        > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
        >
        > What do you guys typically do?
        >
        > MEANT 2B

        Try tying a rope in the middle of a stick then bury the stick flat with
        snow covering over it. heard that it works
      • Mark Bayern
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
          > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and
          > driving the stakes into the ground?

          When covered with snow, the ground is usually frozen. I can't speak
          for others, but I don't carry stakes or a hammer that could drive
          stakes into frozen ground.
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
            On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

            > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question
            > and driving the stakes into the ground?
            >
            > Harold

            Oftimes around here the snow will be more than 4 foot deep.... occasionally
            8 foot :]

            Actually if you have enough snow, sleeping in a snow shelter is easier and
            warmer.
            ( think of a grave :] )

            But there still needs to be some research on the best way to hang a hammock
            across an igloo

            Ralph (Pocatello, Idaho)