Re: [Hammock Camping] Staking down

  • Harold Steele Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and driving the stakes into the ground?

      Harold

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

        > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
        > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
        > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
        > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
        stake
        > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
        cover
        > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
        > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
        > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
        >
        > What do you guys typically do?
        >
        > MEANT 2B

        Try tying a rope in the middle of a stick then bury the stick flat with
        snow covering over it. heard that it works
      • marcus_chen424
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
          try tying a rope in a middle of a stick then bury it in snow flat
          should be able to work. Else you could fill a plastic bag full of snow
          and bury it.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

          > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
          > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
          > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
          > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
          stake
          > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
          cover
          > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
          > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
          > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
          >
          > What do you guys typically do?
          >
          > MEANT 2B

        • Mark Bayern
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
            > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and
            > driving the stakes into the ground?

            When covered with snow, the ground is usually frozen. I can't speak
            for others, but I don't carry stakes or a hammer that could drive
            stakes into frozen ground.
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
              On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

              > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question
              > and driving the stakes into the ground?
              >
              > Harold

              Oftimes around here the snow will be more than 4 foot deep.... occasionally
              8 foot :]

              Actually if you have enough snow, sleeping in a snow shelter is easier and
              warmer.
              ( think of a grave :] )

              But there still needs to be some research on the best way to hang a hammock
              across an igloo

              Ralph (Pocatello, Idaho)