Re: [Hammock Camping] Staking down

  • Harold Steele Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and driving the stakes into the ground?

      Harold

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009

        <http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24444?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24444>

        <http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/07/snow-anchor-options-part-i.html>

        > Sapere Aude,
        >
        > Arye P. Rubenstein

        Those will work. I have a tent that has sides that can be opened up
        as awning type windows that you can unzip, pull out at various angles,
        and then stake out. For protection from the wind, the guylines also
        have a small sack attached at the very end of the guyline that you can
        just put rocks, dirt, or whatever in.
      • marcus_chen424
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

          > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
          > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
          > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
          > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
          stake
          > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
          cover
          > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
          > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
          > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
          >
          > What do you guys typically do?
          >
          > MEANT 2B

          Try tying a rope in the middle of a stick then bury the stick flat with
          snow covering over it. heard that it works
        • marcus_chen424
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
            try tying a rope in a middle of a stick then bury it in snow flat
            should be able to work. Else you could fill a plastic bag full of snow
            and bury it.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

            > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
            > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
            > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
            > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
            stake
            > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
            cover
            > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
            > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
            > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
            >
            > What do you guys typically do?
            >
            > MEANT 2B

          • Mark Bayern
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
              > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and
              > driving the stakes into the ground?

              When covered with snow, the ground is usually frozen. I can't speak
              for others, but I don't carry stakes or a hammer that could drive
              stakes into frozen ground.
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

                > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question
                > and driving the stakes into the ground?
                >
                > Harold

                Oftimes around here the snow will be more than 4 foot deep.... occasionally
                8 foot :]

                Actually if you have enough snow, sleeping in a snow shelter is easier and
                warmer.
                ( think of a grave :] )

                But there still needs to be some research on the best way to hang a hammock
                across an igloo

                Ralph (Pocatello, Idaho)