RE: [Hammock Camping] Staking down

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      Buy some step shingles and parachute cord looking cord at the Home Depot,
      drill a shingle top and bottom on a center line and tie a loose loop through
      them. Crease the shingle at the hole line. Shove it into the snow at an
      angle away from the tarp and tie onto the string. If it pulls out too
      easily, then bury the shingle in about 10 inches of snow and stomp it down.
      If it still pulls out too easily, bury it deeper.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and driving the stakes into the ground?

        Harold

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
          I like to use snow stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/358111
          These are beefier snow stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/474241
          ...and then there's the bag trick in commercial form: http://www.rei.com/product/725165

          If there's much wind I like to bury my sides to keep the wind off of me inside. ;o)

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009

            <http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24444?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24444>

            <http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/07/snow-anchor-options-part-i.html>

            > Sapere Aude,
            >
            > Arye P. Rubenstein

            Those will work. I have a tent that has sides that can be opened up
            as awning type windows that you can unzip, pull out at various angles,
            and then stake out. For protection from the wind, the guylines also
            have a small sack attached at the very end of the guyline that you can
            just put rocks, dirt, or whatever in.
          • marcus_chen424
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

              > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
              > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
              > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
              > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
              stake
              > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
              cover
              > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
              > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
              > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
              >
              > What do you guys typically do?
              >
              > MEANT 2B

              Try tying a rope in the middle of a stick then bury the stick flat with
              snow covering over it. heard that it works
            • marcus_chen424
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                try tying a rope in a middle of a stick then bury it in snow flat
                should be able to work. Else you could fill a plastic bag full of snow
                and bury it.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

                > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
                > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
                > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
                > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
                stake
                > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
                cover
                > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
                > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
                > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
                >
                > What do you guys typically do?
                >
                > MEANT 2B

              • Mark Bayern
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                  > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and
                  > driving the stakes into the ground?

                  When covered with snow, the ground is usually frozen. I can't speak
                  for others, but I don't carry stakes or a hammer that could drive
                  stakes into frozen ground.
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                    On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

                    > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question
                    > and driving the stakes into the ground?
                    >
                    > Harold

                    Oftimes around here the snow will be more than 4 foot deep.... occasionally
                    8 foot :]

                    Actually if you have enough snow, sleeping in a snow shelter is easier and
                    warmer.
                    ( think of a grave :] )

                    But there still needs to be some research on the best way to hang a hammock
                    across an igloo

                    Ralph (Pocatello, Idaho)