Re: [Hammock Camping] Staking down

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      I was thinking you could do the same thing we used to do when tent
      camping in sand or in snow: make a "dead man" out of sticks/brush, and
      cover it with snow. Fill a soda bottle with water, bury that. Dunno.
      Just a suggestion.

      Ratty

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        Buy some step shingles and parachute cord looking cord at the Home Depot,
        drill a shingle top and bottom on a center line and tie a loose loop through
        them. Crease the shingle at the hole line. Shove it into the snow at an
        angle away from the tarp and tie onto the string. If it pulls out too
        easily, then bury the shingle in about 10 inches of snow and stomp it down.
        If it still pulls out too easily, bury it deeper.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
          2 options

          <http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24444?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24444>

          and

          <http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/07/snow-anchor-options-part-i.html>

          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
            How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and driving the stakes into the ground?

            Harold

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
              I like to use snow stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/358111
              These are beefier snow stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/474241
              ...and then there's the bag trick in commercial form: http://www.rei.com/product/725165

              If there's much wind I like to bury my sides to keep the wind off of me inside. ;o)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

                > 2 options

                <http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24444?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24444>

                > and

                <http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/07/snow-anchor-options-part-i.html>

                > Sapere Aude,
                >
                > Arye P. Rubenstein

                Those will work. I have a tent that has sides that can be opened up
                as awning type windows that you can unzip, pull out at various angles,
                and then stake out. For protection from the wind, the guylines also
                have a small sack attached at the very end of the guyline that you can
                just put rocks, dirt, or whatever in.
              • marcus_chen424
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

                  > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
                  > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
                  > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
                  > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
                  stake
                  > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
                  cover
                  > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
                  > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
                  > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
                  >
                  > What do you guys typically do?
                  >
                  > MEANT 2B

                  Try tying a rope in the middle of a stick then bury the stick flat with
                  snow covering over it. heard that it works
                • marcus_chen424
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                    try tying a rope in a middle of a stick then bury it in snow flat
                    should be able to work. Else you could fill a plastic bag full of snow
                    and bury it.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

                    > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
                    > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
                    > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
                    > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
                    stake
                    > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
                    cover
                    > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
                    > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
                    > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
                    >
                    > What do you guys typically do?
                    >
                    > MEANT 2B

                  • Mark Bayern
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                      > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and
                      > driving the stakes into the ground?

                      When covered with snow, the ground is usually frozen. I can't speak
                      for others, but I don't carry stakes or a hammer that could drive
                      stakes into frozen ground.
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                        On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

                        > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question
                        > and driving the stakes into the ground?
                        >
                        > Harold

                        Oftimes around here the snow will be more than 4 foot deep.... occasionally
                        8 foot :]

                        Actually if you have enough snow, sleeping in a snow shelter is easier and
                        warmer.
                        ( think of a grave :] )

                        But there still needs to be some research on the best way to hang a hammock
                        across an igloo

                        Ralph (Pocatello, Idaho)