Staking down

  • m2b1997
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
      more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
      yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
      hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you stake
      down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is cover
      by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
      stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
      ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.

      What do you guys typically do?

      MEANT 2B
    • ratsmouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        I was thinking you could do the same thing we used to do when tent
        camping in sand or in snow: make a "dead man" out of sticks/brush, and
        cover it with snow. Fill a soda bottle with water, bury that. Dunno.
        Just a suggestion.

        Ratty

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
          Buy some step shingles and parachute cord looking cord at the Home Depot,
          drill a shingle top and bottom on a center line and tie a loose loop through
          them. Crease the shingle at the hole line. Shove it into the snow at an
          angle away from the tarp and tie onto the string. If it pulls out too
          easily, then bury the shingle in about 10 inches of snow and stomp it down.
          If it still pulls out too easily, bury it deeper.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
            2 options

            <http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24444?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24444>

            and

            <http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/07/snow-anchor-options-part-i.html>

            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
              How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and driving the stakes into the ground?

              Harold

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
                I like to use snow stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/358111
                These are beefier snow stakes: http://www.rei.com/product/474241
                ...and then there's the bag trick in commercial form: http://www.rei.com/product/725165

                If there's much wind I like to bury my sides to keep the wind off of me inside. ;o)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

                  > 2 options

                  <http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24444?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24444>

                  > and

                  <http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/07/snow-anchor-options-part-i.html>

                  > Sapere Aude,
                  >
                  > Arye P. Rubenstein

                  Those will work. I have a tent that has sides that can be opened up
                  as awning type windows that you can unzip, pull out at various angles,
                  and then stake out. For protection from the wind, the guylines also
                  have a small sack attached at the very end of the guyline that you can
                  just put rocks, dirt, or whatever in.
                • marcus_chen424
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

                    > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
                    > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
                    > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
                    > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
                    stake
                    > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
                    cover
                    > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
                    > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
                    > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
                    >
                    > What do you guys typically do?
                    >
                    > MEANT 2B

                    Try tying a rope in the middle of a stick then bury the stick flat with
                    snow covering over it. heard that it works
                  • marcus_chen424
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                      try tying a rope in a middle of a stick then bury it in snow flat
                      should be able to work. Else you could fill a plastic bag full of snow
                      and bury it.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "m2b1997" <m2b1997@...> wrote:

                      > Having had the first winter night out last night it has made me think
                      > more about the idea and the natural challenges. One of the simplest
                      > yet most perplexing that I can see is when you put up a tarp over the
                      > hammock. Tie the rope off to the tree is no problem. How do you
                      stake
                      > down the tarp when there are no trees available and the ground is
                      cover
                      > by snow, not ice. I can think of only one possible solution, put the
                      > stake in the snow and pour water on the stake/snow to turn it into
                      > ice. That may make removal a little interesting though.
                      >
                      > What do you guys typically do?
                      >
                      > MEANT 2B

                    • Mark Bayern
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                        > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question and
                        > driving the stakes into the ground?

                        When covered with snow, the ground is usually frozen. I can't speak
                        for others, but I don't carry stakes or a hammer that could drive
                        stakes into frozen ground.
                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                          On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Harold Steele Jr <hsteelejr@...>wrote:

                          > How about just sweeping the snow from the area of the ground in question
                          > and driving the stakes into the ground?
                          >
                          > Harold

                          Oftimes around here the snow will be more than 4 foot deep.... occasionally
                          8 foot :]

                          Actually if you have enough snow, sleeping in a snow shelter is easier and
                          warmer.
                          ( think of a grave :] )

                          But there still needs to be some research on the best way to hang a hammock
                          across an igloo

                          Ralph (Pocatello, Idaho)