Re: [Hammock Camping] alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
      That's a pretty teeny pot.... doesn't all the heat go up the sides?
      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      From: Ralph Oborn Ralph.oborn@...

      The energy drink can is your pot to heat water with.
      And it seats nicely in the to of the cat stove.  :]

      Ralph

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
        On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:15 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

        > That's a pretty teeny pot.... doesn't all the heat go up the sides?
        > MacGyver

        A 20 oz energy drink can.... (Carefully remove the lid center with a can
        opener)

        Only need 2 cups ( 16 oz) of hot water to make most meals.

        (I make the meals in a zip lock bag) So I have no dishes to wash.

        Surprisingly most of the heat does go the the water in the can, the supercat
        website also comments on this.

        And since the bottom of the energy can seats inside the super cat it is in
        some ways more stable.

        Ralph

        Is it time to move this discussion over to the backpacking stoves discussion
        list?

      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 6, 2009
          Oh, ok.... I thought you were talking about the skinny little Red Bull can.
          MacG

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 6, 2009
            On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

            > Oh, ok.... I thought you were talking about the skinny little Red Bull can.
            > MacG

            Sorry, don't do Red Bull, so I assumed they were all the same.

            Didn't mean to confuse.

            Ralph

          • no_p55
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 18, 2009
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
              wrote:

              > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
              have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
              The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
              leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
              tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

              > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
              Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
              what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
              to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
              handful of fiberglass insulation.

              > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
              alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
              aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
              interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

              > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
              stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.

              > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
              >
              > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
              is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

              > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

              Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
              can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
              make. Check out this YouTube link
              (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
              I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
              Happy camping

              P Thomson
              Minnestoa
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                Just another place you might want to read is on the
                www.linvillegorge.net <http://www.linvillegorge.net> website under Gear
                we've been discussing Stoves
                <http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php?topic=416.0> there and
                I've been playing around with several designs and one purchased version
                from www.whitebox.com <http://www.whitebox.com>

                Also on the Hammock Forums <http://hammockforums.net/> there are more
                discussions of alcohol stoves

                Sorry if I've just repeated a bunch of links everyone has already known
                about ... new to this group.

                Michael

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "no_p55" <6thomsons@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert xflagstaff9@
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
                > have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                > The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                > leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
                > tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.
                > >
                > > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                > Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                > what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
                > to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
                > handful of fiberglass insulation.
                > >
                > > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                > alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
                > aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
                > interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.
                > >
                > > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
                > stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a
                hike.

                > > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                > >
                > > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
                > is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?
                > >
                > > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ
                > >

                > Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                > can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                > make. Check out this YouTube link
                > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                > I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                > Happy camping
                >
                > P Thomson
                > Minnestoa

              • Blake Robert
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                  Thank you PT.

                  I ended up going with a homemade Starlyte stove as per the instructions you get if you google Starlyte Knockoff. There is a set of three videos about this.

                  You take a 2" diameter wedding favor tin-remove the transparent plastic window and put a stainless steel screen disk in the lid-they come in a perfect size to dome up. Then, you cut a larger than 2" diamter of fiberglass cloth-place this on top of-and, partially around a wad of pink fiberglass insulation and place that in the wedding tin bottom smoothing the cloth so it is an even layer under the screen when you place the lid back on.

                  This makes a great stove and I found it works great with a canteen cup stand/stove. This is a lightweight "ring" that fits under a military canteen cup-with the same shape-in fact, the cup fits around the base of a military canteen and the reversed cup stand fits around the cup-so the whole assembly takes up only about 2-3% more volume than the canteen alone.

                  When used as a stove/stand-you place the Starlyte on the ground-get it going-attach the stove/stand under the cup and place the assembly over the flame. The stand/stove has holes for ventilation.

                  My main complaint about this design is you have to buy many times as much material as you need. The smallest fiberglass cloth I found was 8 sq. feet at Walmart---admitedly only about $4.50. I found the wedding tins at Michaels (arts & crafts) and had to buy 30!!!! The stainless steel disks I got via ebay and had to buy 25!!!! You are supposed to use pink insulation (no webstite says why yellow won't do) and my insulation is yellow so I had to buy some.

                  So, I ended up with enough materials to build 25 of these stoves with excess wedding tins left after I run out of stainless steel disks-not to mention fiberglass cloth and insulation.

                  But, I like the design and I am glad I made it!!!!!

                  For those interested in this-google the web with search terms: Starlyte Knockoff and also try: Starlyte alcohol stove.

                  The finnished stove weighs about 1/3rd of an ounce and the insulation holds the alcohol in if the stove is tipped.

                  I recommend these even if you are stuck with too many. I may give mine extras out at Flagstaff Hiking Club potlucks as door prizes.

                  --- On Wed, 2/18/09, no_p55 <6thomsons@...> wrote:

                  Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                  can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                  make. Check out this YouTube link
                  (http://www.youtube com/watch? v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                  I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                  Happy camping

                  P Thomson
                  Minnestoa
                • mrbyer
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 20, 2009
                    I love the Starlyte. You can't beat its fuel efficiency and it works
                    great even in sub zero temps, few alcohol stoves do.

                    rb