Re: [Hammock Camping] alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
      Oh! OK. I made a soda-can stove w/ a Red Bull can and it held up well, at least on 2 overnights :-) I didn't drill/punch holes in the can. I cut a top piece and a bottom piece and then crimped the top piece so it would fit into the bottom piece, ala Penny Stove (although I hadn't seen the PS method at that time), and the little spaces from the crimps served as burner holes for the flames to come up through. I liked it so well I made a larger one w/ a Pepsi can. So simple, primes almost instantly, is its own pot support once primed.

      But I still want to try a Penny Stove. Maybe I just want to try the Heineken and need an excuse to buy pricey beer....

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      From: Jeff <jwj32542@...>
      > So, what did you do with the Red Bull can? The ordinary Super Cat is
      made with just the cat-food can.

      I made one with the 3 oz can and another with the Red Bull can.  Just
      to see how it would work being that light.  It boiled but it's pretty
      flimsy.

      Jeff

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
        The tiny Vargo Triad stove has leg supports and uses alcohol or Esbit
        tab when flipped over.
        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-
        bin/backpackinglight/vargo_triad_titanium_stove.html

        sandy in miami

        <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
        wrote:

        > > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---
        I have
        > > begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
        The first
        > > step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
        leaving behind
        > > my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel tablet
        buring Esbit
        > > stove or making an alcohol stove.
        > >
        > > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
        Cool
        > > little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
        what I am
        > > planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have to
        figure where
        > > one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter handful of
        fiberglass
        > > insulation.
        > >
        > > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
        alcohol
        > > stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the aluminum
        can not take
        > > the heat too many times---long trail hikers interviewed say they
        are lucky
        > > if such a stove lasts 500 miles.
        > >
        > > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long
        a stove
        > > lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.
        > >
        > > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
        > >
        > > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its
        use is over
        > > or does it go straight from useful to gone?
        > >
        > > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ
        >

        > You might want to also consider the supercat stove.
        >
        > Simple to build, simple to use, and very light.
        >
        > And it is a little tougher than a popcan
        >

        > http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
        >
        > Ralph

      • dt51357
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
          Here's yet another stove. Easier to make than the cat or pop can.
          http://www.angelfire.com/funky/stove/index.htm

          Dean
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
            On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM, dt51357 <dt51357@...> wrote:

            > Here's yet another stove. Easier to make than the cat or pop can.
            > http://www.angelfire.com/funky/stove/index.htm
            >
            > Dean

            May I repectfully disagree. :]

            Look at the supercat again,

            one can, a dozen or so holes, all one piece, no cutting, no pot stand.

            But your mileage may vary. :]

            Ralph

          • EHamilton
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
              Oh, that's baaaaaaadddddd.....
              MacGyver

              ________________________________
              From: Blake Robert xflagstaff9@...

              One container I saw was made with the top 2" sawn off human skulls. Held together with a hinge at one end and a clasp at the other---it showed what can be accomplished when you put two heads together!

            • EHamilton
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                That's a pretty teeny pot.... doesn't all the heat go up the sides?
                MacGyver

                ________________________________
                From: Ralph Oborn Ralph.oborn@...

                The energy drink can is your pot to heat water with.
                And it seats nicely in the to of the cat stove.  :]

                Ralph

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                  On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:15 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

                  > That's a pretty teeny pot.... doesn't all the heat go up the sides?
                  > MacGyver

                  A 20 oz energy drink can.... (Carefully remove the lid center with a can
                  opener)

                  Only need 2 cups ( 16 oz) of hot water to make most meals.

                  (I make the meals in a zip lock bag) So I have no dishes to wash.

                  Surprisingly most of the heat does go the the water in the can, the supercat
                  website also comments on this.

                  And since the bottom of the energy can seats inside the super cat it is in
                  some ways more stable.

                  Ralph

                  Is it time to move this discussion over to the backpacking stoves discussion
                  list?

                • EHamilton
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 6, 2009
                    Oh, ok.... I thought you were talking about the skinny little Red Bull can.
                    MacG

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 6, 2009
                      On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

                      > Oh, ok.... I thought you were talking about the skinny little Red Bull can.
                      > MacG

                      Sorry, don't do Red Bull, so I assumed they were all the same.

                      Didn't mean to confuse.

                      Ralph

                    • no_p55
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 18, 2009
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
                        wrote:

                        > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
                        have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                        The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                        leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
                        tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

                        > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                        Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                        what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
                        to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
                        handful of fiberglass insulation.

                        > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                        alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
                        aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
                        interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

                        > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
                        stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.

                        > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                        >
                        > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
                        is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

                        > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

                        Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                        can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                        make. Check out this YouTube link
                        (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                        I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                        Happy camping

                        P Thomson
                        Minnestoa
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                          Just another place you might want to read is on the
                          www.linvillegorge.net <http://www.linvillegorge.net> website under Gear
                          we've been discussing Stoves
                          <http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php?topic=416.0> there and
                          I've been playing around with several designs and one purchased version
                          from www.whitebox.com <http://www.whitebox.com>

                          Also on the Hammock Forums <http://hammockforums.net/> there are more
                          discussions of alcohol stoves

                          Sorry if I've just repeated a bunch of links everyone has already known
                          about ... new to this group.

                          Michael

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "no_p55" <6thomsons@...> wrote:

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert xflagstaff9@
                          > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
                          > have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                          > The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                          > leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
                          > tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.
                          > >
                          > > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                          > Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                          > what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
                          > to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
                          > handful of fiberglass insulation.
                          > >
                          > > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                          > alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
                          > aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
                          > interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.
                          > >
                          > > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
                          > stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a
                          hike.

                          > > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                          > >
                          > > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
                          > is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?
                          > >
                          > > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ
                          > >

                          > Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                          > can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                          > make. Check out this YouTube link
                          > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                          > I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                          > Happy camping
                          >
                          > P Thomson
                          > Minnestoa

                        • Blake Robert
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                            Thank you PT.

                            I ended up going with a homemade Starlyte stove as per the instructions you get if you google Starlyte Knockoff. There is a set of three videos about this.

                            You take a 2" diameter wedding favor tin-remove the transparent plastic window and put a stainless steel screen disk in the lid-they come in a perfect size to dome up. Then, you cut a larger than 2" diamter of fiberglass cloth-place this on top of-and, partially around a wad of pink fiberglass insulation and place that in the wedding tin bottom smoothing the cloth so it is an even layer under the screen when you place the lid back on.

                            This makes a great stove and I found it works great with a canteen cup stand/stove. This is a lightweight "ring" that fits under a military canteen cup-with the same shape-in fact, the cup fits around the base of a military canteen and the reversed cup stand fits around the cup-so the whole assembly takes up only about 2-3% more volume than the canteen alone.

                            When used as a stove/stand-you place the Starlyte on the ground-get it going-attach the stove/stand under the cup and place the assembly over the flame. The stand/stove has holes for ventilation.

                            My main complaint about this design is you have to buy many times as much material as you need. The smallest fiberglass cloth I found was 8 sq. feet at Walmart---admitedly only about $4.50. I found the wedding tins at Michaels (arts & crafts) and had to buy 30!!!! The stainless steel disks I got via ebay and had to buy 25!!!! You are supposed to use pink insulation (no webstite says why yellow won't do) and my insulation is yellow so I had to buy some.

                            So, I ended up with enough materials to build 25 of these stoves with excess wedding tins left after I run out of stainless steel disks-not to mention fiberglass cloth and insulation.

                            But, I like the design and I am glad I made it!!!!!

                            For those interested in this-google the web with search terms: Starlyte Knockoff and also try: Starlyte alcohol stove.

                            The finnished stove weighs about 1/3rd of an ounce and the insulation holds the alcohol in if the stove is tipped.

                            I recommend these even if you are stuck with too many. I may give mine extras out at Flagstaff Hiking Club potlucks as door prizes.

                            --- On Wed, 2/18/09, no_p55 <6thomsons@...> wrote:

                            Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                            can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                            make. Check out this YouTube link
                            (http://www.youtube com/watch? v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                            I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                            Happy camping

                            P Thomson
                            Minnestoa
                          • mrbyer
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 20, 2009
                              I love the Starlyte. You can't beat its fuel efficiency and it works
                              great even in sub zero temps, few alcohol stoves do.

                              rb