Re: [Hammock Camping] alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 3, 2009
      This thread motivated me to make my first cat stove. I made one from a
      steel 3oz can I had in the cabinet and a Red Bull can. Boiled 16 oz
      water in just over 4 min...probably the fastest I've ever had with an
      alcohol stove. I like that I don't need a pot stand with it...this may
      replace my JetBoil on some hikes. Maybe... :D

      Jeff
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
        I use a homemade alcohol stove based on the photon stove.
        Instead of 12 ounce cans, I use the smallest redbull can.
        Great thing about a homemade stove is that when you want, you make a new
        one.
        I have never had one fail on me and when I feel frisky, I simply make a new
        one.

        TV
      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
          OK, Jeff, exactly how did you make this stove? That's a great boil time. I have a JetBoil that's a gift from a friend but due to its weight and questionable availability of its fuel on the AT I'm sticking with a homemade alcohol stove. I've been planning to make a penny stove but my husband balks at buying Heineken when MGD is so much cheaper :-) I have a Pepsi-can stove that works but it takes twice as long to boil as the creation you describe. Can you steer me?

          MacGyver

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009

            On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

            > OK, Jeff, exactly how did you make this stove? That's a great boil time. I
            > have a JetBoil that's a gift from a friend but due to its weight and
            > questionable availability of its fuel on the AT I'm sticking with a homemade
            > alcohol stove. I've been planning to make a penny stove but my husband balks
            > at buying Heineken when MGD is so much cheaper :-) I have a Pepsi-can stove
            > that works but it takes twice as long to boil as the creation you describe.
            > Can you steer me?
            >
            > MacGyver

            http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

            No JB welding, no tape, no cutting, no sharp edges, no fiberglass, just a
            cat food can and some holes.

            I'm careful so I don't use his stand, just the cat food can.
            Yellow HEET is available everywhere and works great.

            A hole punch makes it easy, but if you are gonna do a lot of them, spend $12
            for a watkins punch from Harbor Freight. I took their internet ad into
            their store and they matched it. :]

            Ralph

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
              <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

              > OK, Jeff, exactly how did you make this stove?

              From the link Ralph posted.
              http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

              That 4 min was with tap water, so barely under room temp, and was in my
              garage with no wind. Still...just over 4 min is a good time.

              I usually carry the JetBoil when I hike, though. I like that I can
              cook from the hammock easily, and I can even pick it up while it's
              cooking. I could still cook in the hammock with the supercat, I
              think...wasn't comfortable doing that with my last alky setup.
              Definitely couldn't pick up the whole setup while it's lit,though.

              Jeff
            • EHamilton
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
                So, what did you do with the Red Bull can? The ordinary Super Cat is made with just the cat-food can.

                MacGyver

                ________________________________
                From: Jeff jwj32542@...

                <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                > OK, Jeff, exactly how did you make this stove?

                From the link Ralph posted.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
                  On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

                  > So, what did you do with the Red Bull can? The ordinary Super Cat is made
                  > with just the cat-food can.
                  >
                  > MacGyver

                  The energy drink can is your pot to heat water with.
                  And it seats nicely in the to of the cat stove. :]

                  Ralph

                • aethericpower
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
                    wrote:

                    > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
                    have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                    The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                    leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a
                    fuel tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

                    > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                    Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                    what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
                    to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a
                    quarter handful of fiberglass insulation.

                    > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                    alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
                    aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
                    interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

                    > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
                    stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a
                    hike.

                    > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                    >
                    > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
                    is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

                    > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

                    I made a few. I found wire hanger very difficult to bend correctly. I
                    wound up using the broken off bristles of street cleaners, found free
                    on street intersections.

                    I personally had two problems with such stoves. Likely from my
                    inexeprience using them.

                    1. They are hard to light. I used cotton balls or lint, and steel and
                    flint. I have not found a wind screen tecnique I like yet with
                    materials I have on hand.

                    2. I often get a towering inferno effect like three or five minutes
                    into it. Especially if I use a different kind of fuel like corn oil
                    (also splatters) or Tiki torch fuel (that one gets REALLY hot). I
                    have boiled water with three cat food can based ones under a soup can.

                    I don't have much expertise, but I did want to share my noice
                    experience with you.
                  • pure mahem
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 4, 2009
                      With alcohol stoves you want to stick to methenol not other fuels. Only use yellow heet and it should eliminate the flame up problems. Using other fuels than these can be very dangerous.

                      To light your stove try taking a small twig about 6 -8 inches in length about the diameter of a match and dip  the tip of it in your fuel, light the twig tip and use that like a match to light your stove. be sure to extinguish the twig properly to avoid accidental fires.

                      Hope this helps!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                        <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                        > So, what did you do with the Red Bull can? The ordinary Super Cat is
                        made with just the cat-food can.

                        I made one with the 3 oz can and another with the Red Bull can. Just
                        to see how it would work being that light. It boiled but it's pretty
                        flimsy.

                        Jeff
                      • Blake Robert
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                          Thanks for the tip.

                          It was gratifying that one person has benefitted by the post about alcohol stoves.

                          My thanks to the person who suggested the cat stove. This would be a great tip for a younger person. You reach the age where you are over ten times the age of a five year old but have the dexterity of the five year old-and then you keep getting worse---soon you need a five year old to open your "child-proof" pill bottles. This is not an age where you want to have an open container type alcohol stove---such as a cat stove. If you accidentally tip or kick it over with its invisible blue flames while camping in the forest.......

                          Arizona has lost several Rhode Islands worth of ponderosa forests via careless smokers, people leaving campfires going after they left, lost "hikers" starting signal fires, etc. I don't want to be one of those people.

                          The stove constructed with the bottom 1" of two pepsi cans pressed together ("cool little miniature stove") can leak only through very small pinholes rather than splashing its entire  content out while on fire.

                          Besides, I like the similarity to a Tibetan art oject I saw in the museum at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

                          Where wood is so scarce that cooking is done over fires of dried yak dung much of the making of art or utensils is done with bone---including human bone.

                          One container I saw was made with the top 2" sawn off human skulls. Held together with a hinge at one end and a clasp at the other---it showed what can be accomplished when you put two heads together!

                          ____________ _________ _________ __

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                            Oh! OK. I made a soda-can stove w/ a Red Bull can and it held up well, at least on 2 overnights :-) I didn't drill/punch holes in the can. I cut a top piece and a bottom piece and then crimped the top piece so it would fit into the bottom piece, ala Penny Stove (although I hadn't seen the PS method at that time), and the little spaces from the crimps served as burner holes for the flames to come up through. I liked it so well I made a larger one w/ a Pepsi can. So simple, primes almost instantly, is its own pot support once primed.

                            But I still want to try a Penny Stove. Maybe I just want to try the Heineken and need an excuse to buy pricey beer....

                            MacGyver

                            ________________________________
                            From: Jeff <jwj32542@...>
                            > So, what did you do with the Red Bull can? The ordinary Super Cat is
                            made with just the cat-food can.

                            I made one with the 3 oz can and another with the Red Bull can.  Just
                            to see how it would work being that light.  It boiled but it's pretty
                            flimsy.

                            Jeff

                          • Sandy Kramer
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                              The tiny Vargo Triad stove has leg supports and uses alcohol or Esbit
                              tab when flipped over.
                              http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-
                              bin/backpackinglight/vargo_triad_titanium_stove.html

                              sandy in miami

                              <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                              > On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
                              wrote:

                              > > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---
                              I have
                              > > begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                              The first
                              > > step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                              leaving behind
                              > > my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel tablet
                              buring Esbit
                              > > stove or making an alcohol stove.
                              > >
                              > > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                              Cool
                              > > little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                              what I am
                              > > planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have to
                              figure where
                              > > one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter handful of
                              fiberglass
                              > > insulation.
                              > >
                              > > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                              alcohol
                              > > stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the aluminum
                              can not take
                              > > the heat too many times---long trail hikers interviewed say they
                              are lucky
                              > > if such a stove lasts 500 miles.
                              > >
                              > > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long
                              a stove
                              > > lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.
                              > >
                              > > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                              > >
                              > > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its
                              use is over
                              > > or does it go straight from useful to gone?
                              > >
                              > > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ
                              >

                              > You might want to also consider the supercat stove.
                              >
                              > Simple to build, simple to use, and very light.
                              >
                              > And it is a little tougher than a popcan
                              >

                              > http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
                              >
                              > Ralph

                            • dt51357
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                                Here's yet another stove. Easier to make than the cat or pop can.
                                http://www.angelfire.com/funky/stove/index.htm

                                Dean
                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                                  On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM, dt51357 <dt51357@...> wrote:

                                  > Here's yet another stove. Easier to make than the cat or pop can.
                                  > http://www.angelfire.com/funky/stove/index.htm
                                  >
                                  > Dean

                                  May I repectfully disagree. :]

                                  Look at the supercat again,

                                  one can, a dozen or so holes, all one piece, no cutting, no pot stand.

                                  But your mileage may vary. :]

                                  Ralph

                                • EHamilton
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                                    Oh, that's baaaaaaadddddd.....
                                    MacGyver

                                    ________________________________
                                    From: Blake Robert xflagstaff9@...

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                                      That's a pretty teeny pot.... doesn't all the heat go up the sides?
                                      MacGyver

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 5, 2009
                                        On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:15 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

                                        > That's a pretty teeny pot.... doesn't all the heat go up the sides?
                                        > MacGyver

                                        A 20 oz energy drink can.... (Carefully remove the lid center with a can
                                        opener)

                                        Only need 2 cups ( 16 oz) of hot water to make most meals.

                                        (I make the meals in a zip lock bag) So I have no dishes to wash.

                                        Surprisingly most of the heat does go the the water in the can, the supercat
                                        website also comments on this.

                                        And since the bottom of the energy can seats inside the super cat it is in
                                        some ways more stable.

                                        Ralph

                                        Is it time to move this discussion over to the backpacking stoves discussion
                                        list?

                                      • EHamilton
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 6, 2009
                                          Oh, ok.... I thought you were talking about the skinny little Red Bull can.
                                          MacG

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 6, 2009
                                            On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

                                            > Oh, ok.... I thought you were talking about the skinny little Red Bull can.
                                            > MacG

                                            Sorry, don't do Red Bull, so I assumed they were all the same.

                                            Didn't mean to confuse.

                                            Ralph

                                          • no_p55
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 18, 2009
                                              wrote:

                                              > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
                                              have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                                              The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                                              leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
                                              tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

                                              > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                                              Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                                              what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
                                              to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
                                              handful of fiberglass insulation.

                                              > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                                              alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
                                              aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
                                              interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

                                              > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
                                              stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.

                                              > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                                              >
                                              > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
                                              is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

                                              > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

                                              Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                                              can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                                              make. Check out this YouTube link
                                              (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                                              I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                                              Happy camping

                                              P Thomson
                                              Minnestoa
                                            • Michael
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                                                Just another place you might want to read is on the
                                                www.linvillegorge.net <http://www.linvillegorge.net> website under Gear
                                                we've been discussing Stoves
                                                <http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php?topic=416.0> there and
                                                I've been playing around with several designs and one purchased version
                                                from www.whitebox.com <http://www.whitebox.com>

                                                Also on the Hammock Forums <http://hammockforums.net/> there are more
                                                discussions of alcohol stoves

                                                Sorry if I've just repeated a bunch of links everyone has already known
                                                about ... new to this group.

                                                Michael

                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "no_p55" <6thomsons@...> wrote:

                                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert xflagstaff9@
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
                                                > have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
                                                > The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
                                                > leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
                                                > tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.
                                                > >
                                                > > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
                                                > Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
                                                > what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
                                                > to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
                                                > handful of fiberglass insulation.
                                                > >
                                                > > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
                                                > alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
                                                > aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
                                                > interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.
                                                > >
                                                > > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
                                                > stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a
                                                hike.

                                                > > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
                                                > >
                                                > > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
                                                > is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?
                                                > >
                                                > > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ
                                                > >

                                                > Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                                                > can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                                                > make. Check out this YouTube link
                                                > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                                                > I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                                                > Happy camping
                                                >
                                                > P Thomson
                                                > Minnestoa

                                              • Blake Robert
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                                                  Thank you PT.

                                                  I ended up going with a homemade Starlyte stove as per the instructions you get if you google Starlyte Knockoff. There is a set of three videos about this.

                                                  You take a 2" diameter wedding favor tin-remove the transparent plastic window and put a stainless steel screen disk in the lid-they come in a perfect size to dome up. Then, you cut a larger than 2" diamter of fiberglass cloth-place this on top of-and, partially around a wad of pink fiberglass insulation and place that in the wedding tin bottom smoothing the cloth so it is an even layer under the screen when you place the lid back on.

                                                  This makes a great stove and I found it works great with a canteen cup stand/stove. This is a lightweight "ring" that fits under a military canteen cup-with the same shape-in fact, the cup fits around the base of a military canteen and the reversed cup stand fits around the cup-so the whole assembly takes up only about 2-3% more volume than the canteen alone.

                                                  When used as a stove/stand-you place the Starlyte on the ground-get it going-attach the stove/stand under the cup and place the assembly over the flame. The stand/stove has holes for ventilation.

                                                  My main complaint about this design is you have to buy many times as much material as you need. The smallest fiberglass cloth I found was 8 sq. feet at Walmart---admitedly only about $4.50. I found the wedding tins at Michaels (arts & crafts) and had to buy 30!!!! The stainless steel disks I got via ebay and had to buy 25!!!! You are supposed to use pink insulation (no webstite says why yellow won't do) and my insulation is yellow so I had to buy some.

                                                  So, I ended up with enough materials to build 25 of these stoves with excess wedding tins left after I run out of stainless steel disks-not to mention fiberglass cloth and insulation.

                                                  But, I like the design and I am glad I made it!!!!!

                                                  For those interested in this-google the web with search terms: Starlyte Knockoff and also try: Starlyte alcohol stove.

                                                  The finnished stove weighs about 1/3rd of an ounce and the insulation holds the alcohol in if the stove is tipped.

                                                  I recommend these even if you are stuck with too many. I may give mine extras out at Flagstaff Hiking Club potlucks as door prizes.

                                                  --- On Wed, 2/18/09, no_p55 <6thomsons@...> wrote:

                                                  Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
                                                  can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
                                                  make. Check out this YouTube link
                                                  (http://www.youtube com/watch? v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
                                                  I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
                                                  Happy camping

                                                  P Thomson
                                                  Minnestoa
                                                • mrbyer
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 20, 2009
                                                    I love the Starlyte. You can't beat its fuel efficiency and it works
                                                    great even in sub zero temps, few alcohol stoves do.

                                                    rb