Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

      > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
      > with my scouts.
      > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
      >
      > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
      > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
      > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
      > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
      nights)
      > 5. No chance of an electrical.
      > 6. Uncomplicated
      > 7. Proven
      >
      > Ralph (Pocatello)

      Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
      http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
      products for this.

      I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
      the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
      They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
      something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
      little more than what you have.

      Dave
    • Horace
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
        Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
        burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
        would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
        freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
        try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
        hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
        The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
        Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
        potentially pose a fire risk.
        I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
        to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

        Nigel

        Sent from my iPhone!