Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

      > The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
      who's
      > tried one?

      Here's a write-up w/ pics by Turk...he used a TiGoat stove inside a
      prototype JRB tarptent that he installed a stove jack in.
      http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

      Jeff
    • ratsmouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        Glad someone else brought up the CO issue with charcoal. I lost a high
        school friend who thought it was okay to light a hibachi in a (sort of)
        enclosed space to keep warm one night. It was the last thing she ever
        did. She left behind a two year old son. She was only 20.

        Ratty

        From: Ed Speer <ed@...>

        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 2:23 PM

        The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
        who's

        ried one? How long does it burn before needing more fuel? Could you
        use

        charcoal instead of wood? .Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Author, Hammock Camping book

        Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:hammockcamping@
        yahoogroups. com]

        On Behalf Of Bill Fornshell

        Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:08 PM

        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

        Hi,

        Check out one of these wood stoves from Titanium Goat. Look at the
        lightest

        version. Just over 1 pound.

        http://www.titanium goat.com/ cstove.html

        If you had something like a tent around and over your hammock one of
        these

        might work.

        If it was setup right you might be able to feed the stove without
        getting

        out of your hammock.

        Bill in Texas

        --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav%
        40yahoo.com>

        From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp
        ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

        Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 12:5
        8 PM

        My son spent a couple of days in Maine camping out in 10 degree

        weather. I asked him how he keep warm and he told me he used an

        emergeny car powerstart battery assy. and plugged in his small heater

        set on 500 watts and it lasted two 8 hr nights. Here's another thought,

        use a winter tarp with a Zodi propane heater. Lugging around Powerstart

        car batteries and Zodi heaters only adds a couple of more pounds

        conpared with lugging around underquits and more padding. Each style of

        camping will have different sets of parameters. The style of camping

        using heaters and winter tents will only appeal to campers who pull

        small sleds while snowshoeing in on flat terrain and could care less

        about adding an extra couple of pounds. I think using special designed

        winter hammocks is the way to go for winter hammocking rather then

        modifing a 3 season hammock for winter conditions. Just my thoughts and

        nothing is set in stone.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

          > Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation
          problems with
          > this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

          Yeah I do and I can't get past the safely issues. I don't think
          silnylon is flame retardant to start with, I don't think our
          WinterTarp is large enough when closed off for a wood burning stove,
          and I think you might want something with a shape that was more
          accommodating and had some means of exhausting the fumes for a wood
          burning stove.

          Our WinterTarp is designed for backpacking and as such it was designed
          to be flexible enough to handle a wide range of conditions. When
          backpacking with hammocks you don't always want your shelter closed
          off or be confined to cleared and flat tent spots with appropriate
          trees. Sometimes you just want rain protection and as much view as
          possible, and sometimes you might want to camp on a slope in a cove
          protected from the wind, etc. You are looking at something pretty
          specialized when you are talking about a hammock tent/tarptent that
          safely accommodates a wood burning stove for warmth.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000AT
          WinterTarp
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

            > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
            > with my scouts.
            > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
            >
            > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
            > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
            > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
            > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
            nights)
            > 5. No chance of an electrical.
            > 6. Uncomplicated
            > 7. Proven
            >
            > Ralph (Pocatello)

            Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
            http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
            products for this.

            I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
            the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
            They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
            something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
            little more than what you have.

            Dave
          • Horace
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
              Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
              burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
              would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
              freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
              try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
              hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
              The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
              Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
              potentially pose a fire risk.
              I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
              to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

              Nigel

              Sent from my iPhone!