Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
      THe wood is going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be
      vented outside the tent it is in. I don't think that charcoal would be
      hotter than wood. In the wood stove that I used in my tipi, there was a
      specific instruction not to burn cardboard or quantities of paper, as
      they could burn through the steel.

      I thought it was silly that cardboard would burn hotter than wood, but
      when I tried burning up some cardboard, it was considerably hotter than
      any of the wood fires I had made up to that point.

      Rick

    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        HI,

        Yes, the vent pipe has to go out of your enclosure.

        I just called Doug at TC.  He said one load of wood would only last 30 minutes or so before you would need to start adding some more wood.  The stove is not very large - 6.25" by 12" long.  He said he has had folks tell him they used charcoal.  He thinks your tent or what ever you were in might allow enough outside air to get in so you might be able to burn charcoal.  I would not take the chance with charcoal.

        I could see one of these being used to dry out my clothes if they were damp and to get my space warm at the time I decide to go to sleep.  Then start it back up early in the morning and warm things up and boil some water at the same time.  All of this might be done from the hammock if you got everything ready the night before.

        Bill in Texas

        THe wood ian>an>s going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be

        Bill Fornshell wrote:

        > Hi Ed,

        > I don't know anyone that has used one of these. I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells. I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

        > On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good. It might be fun to do some testing with one of these. At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

        > Bill in Texas

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

          > The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
          who's
          > tried one?

          Here's a write-up w/ pics by Turk...he used a TiGoat stove inside a
          prototype JRB tarptent that he installed a stove jack in.
          http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

          Jeff
        • ratsmouth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            Glad someone else brought up the CO issue with charcoal. I lost a high
            school friend who thought it was okay to light a hibachi in a (sort of)
            enclosed space to keep warm one night. It was the last thing she ever
            did. She left behind a two year old son. She was only 20.

            Ratty

            From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:hammockcamping@
            yahoogroups. com]

            On Behalf Of Bill Fornshell

            Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:08 PM

            To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

            From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

            Subject: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

            To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp
            ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

              > Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation
              problems with
              > this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

              Yeah I do and I can't get past the safely issues. I don't think
              silnylon is flame retardant to start with, I don't think our
              WinterTarp is large enough when closed off for a wood burning stove,
              and I think you might want something with a shape that was more
              accommodating and had some means of exhausting the fumes for a wood
              burning stove.

              Our WinterTarp is designed for backpacking and as such it was designed
              to be flexible enough to handle a wide range of conditions. When
              backpacking with hammocks you don't always want your shelter closed
              off or be confined to cleared and flat tent spots with appropriate
              trees. Sometimes you just want rain protection and as much view as
              possible, and sometimes you might want to camp on a slope in a cove
              protected from the wind, etc. You are looking at something pretty
              specialized when you are talking about a hammock tent/tarptent that
              safely accommodates a wood burning stove for warmth.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood 2000AT
              WinterTarp
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                > with my scouts.
                > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
                >
                > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
                nights)
                > 5. No chance of an electrical.
                > 6. Uncomplicated
                > 7. Proven
                >
                > Ralph (Pocatello)

                Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
                http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
                products for this.

                I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
                the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
                They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
                something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
                little more than what you have.

                Dave
              • Horace
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
                  burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
                  would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
                  freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
                  try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
                  hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
                  The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
                  Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
                  potentially pose a fire risk.
                  I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
                  to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

                  Nigel

                  Sent from my iPhone!