Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

  • Jim Priest
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
      On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
      > with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
      > electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
      > be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &

      I ride a motorcycle and love my electric jacket liner. One neat thing
      I have is a 'heat troller' basically instead of a simple on-off
      switch - it's a thermostat for my electric gear - it is a fancy
      electronic gizmo that controls the temp. My liner is a 65w unit and I
      rarely crank it over 1/2 way. If that keeps me warm going 65 down the
      highway I imagine you could get by with much less in a hammock.

      http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-troller_FAQ.php#1

      The manufacturer of my liner makes portable units for people in
      wheelchairs, heavy equipment users, etc who may have to work in cold
      as well as AC adaptors...

      http://www.warmnsafe.com/

      I have no idea how long one of these would last on a stand alone
      battery... but it may be an interesting thing to try...

      Jim
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation problems with
        this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Author, Hammock Camping book

        Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
        From: ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
        <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> >
        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter
        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

        Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 12:58 PM

        My son spent a couple of days in Maine camping out in 10 degree

        weather. I asked him how he keep warm and he told me he used an

        emergeny car powerstart battery assy. and plugged in his small heater

        set on 500 watts and it lasted two 8 hr nights. Here's another thought,

        use a winter tarp with a Zodi propane heater. Lugging around Powerstart

        car batteries and Zodi heaters only adds a couple of more pounds

        conpared with lugging around underquits and more padding. Each style of

        camping will have different sets of parameters. The style of camping

        using heaters and winter tents will only appeal to campers who pull

        small sleds while snowshoeing in on flat terrain and could care less

        about adding an extra couple of pounds. I think using special designed

        winter hammocks is the way to go for winter hammocking rather then

        modifing a 3 season hammock for winter conditions. Just my thoughts and

        nothing is set in stone.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
          Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            Let us know if you come up with anything!

            I'm also an RC airplane enthusiast and that might be another avenue
            for lightweight power - lots of new tech battery options out there
            right now - Lipoly, A123, etc...

            Jim

            On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
            > Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
              Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
              with my scouts.
              I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.

              1. Cheap (50 cents each)
              2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
              3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
              4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold nights)
              5. No chance of an electrical.
              6. Uncomplicated
              7. Proven

              Ralph (Pocatello)

            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                Hi Ed,

                I don't know anyone that has used one of these.  I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells.  I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good.  It might be fun to do some testing with one of these.  At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                Bill in Texas

                --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com>

                From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                  THe wood is going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be
                  vented outside the tent it is in. I don't think that charcoal would be
                  hotter than wood. In the wood stove that I used in my tipi, there was a
                  specific instruction not to burn cardboard or quantities of paper, as
                  they could burn through the steel.

                  I thought it was silly that cardboard would burn hotter than wood, but
                  when I tried burning up some cardboard, it was considerably hotter than
                  any of the wood fires I had made up to that point.

                  Rick

                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                    HI,

                    Yes, the vent pipe has to go out of your enclosure.

                    I just called Doug at TC.  He said one load of wood would only last 30 minutes or so before you would need to start adding some more wood.  The stove is not very large - 6.25" by 12" long.  He said he has had folks tell him they used charcoal.  He thinks your tent or what ever you were in might allow enough outside air to get in so you might be able to burn charcoal.  I would not take the chance with charcoal.

                    I could see one of these being used to dry out my clothes if they were damp and to get my space warm at the time I decide to go to sleep.  Then start it back up early in the morning and warm things up and boil some water at the same time.  All of this might be done from the hammock if you got everything ready the night before.

                    Bill in Texas

                    THe wood ian>an>s going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be

                    Bill Fornshell wrote:

                    > Hi Ed,

                    > I don't know anyone that has used one of these. I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells. I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                    > On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good. It might be fun to do some testing with one of these. At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                    > Bill in Texas

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

                      > The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
                      who's
                      > tried one?

                      Here's a write-up w/ pics by Turk...he used a TiGoat stove inside a
                      prototype JRB tarptent that he installed a stove jack in.
                      http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

                      Jeff
                    • ratsmouth@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Glad someone else brought up the CO issue with charcoal. I lost a high
                        school friend who thought it was okay to light a hibachi in a (sort of)
                        enclosed space to keep warm one night. It was the last thing she ever
                        did. She left behind a two year old son. She was only 20.

                        Ratty

                        From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:hammockcamping@
                        yahoogroups. com]

                        On Behalf Of Bill Fornshell

                        Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:08 PM

                        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

                        From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp
                        ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                          > Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation
                          problems with
                          > this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

                          Yeah I do and I can't get past the safely issues. I don't think
                          silnylon is flame retardant to start with, I don't think our
                          WinterTarp is large enough when closed off for a wood burning stove,
                          and I think you might want something with a shape that was more
                          accommodating and had some means of exhausting the fumes for a wood
                          burning stove.

                          Our WinterTarp is designed for backpacking and as such it was designed
                          to be flexible enough to handle a wide range of conditions. When
                          backpacking with hammocks you don't always want your shelter closed
                          off or be confined to cleared and flat tent spots with appropriate
                          trees. Sometimes you just want rain protection and as much view as
                          possible, and sometimes you might want to camp on a slope in a cove
                          protected from the wind, etc. You are looking at something pretty
                          specialized when you are talking about a hammock tent/tarptent that
                          safely accommodates a wood burning stove for warmth.

                          Dave Womble
                          aka Youngblood 2000AT
                          WinterTarp
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                            > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                            > with my scouts.
                            > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
                            >
                            > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                            > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                            > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                            > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
                            nights)
                            > 5. No chance of an electrical.
                            > 6. Uncomplicated
                            > 7. Proven
                            >
                            > Ralph (Pocatello)

                            Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
                            http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
                            products for this.

                            I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
                            the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
                            They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
                            something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
                            little more than what you have.

                            Dave
                          • Horace
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                              Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
                              burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
                              would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
                              freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
                              try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
                              hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
                              The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
                              Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
                              potentially pose a fire risk.
                              I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
                              to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

                              Nigel

                              Sent from my iPhone!