RE: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
      The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone who's
      tried one? How long does it burn before needing more fuel? Could you use
      charcoal instead of wood? .Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      From: ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> >
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 12:58 PM

      My son spent a couple of days in Maine camping out in 10 degree

      weather. I asked him how he keep warm and he told me he used an

      emergeny car powerstart battery assy. and plugged in his small heater

      set on 500 watts and it lasted two 8 hr nights. Here's another thought,

      use a winter tarp with a Zodi propane heater. Lugging around Powerstart

      car batteries and Zodi heaters only adds a couple of more pounds

      conpared with lugging around underquits and more padding. Each style of

      camping will have different sets of parameters. The style of camping

      using heaters and winter tents will only appeal to campers who pull

      small sleds while snowshoeing in on flat terrain and could care less

      about adding an extra couple of pounds. I think using special designed

      winter hammocks is the way to go for winter hammocking rather then

      modifing a 3 season hammock for winter conditions. Just my thoughts and

      nothing is set in stone.

    • Jim Priest
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
        > with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
        > electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
        > be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &

        I ride a motorcycle and love my electric jacket liner. One neat thing
        I have is a 'heat troller' basically instead of a simple on-off
        switch - it's a thermostat for my electric gear - it is a fancy
        electronic gizmo that controls the temp. My liner is a 65w unit and I
        rarely crank it over 1/2 way. If that keeps me warm going 65 down the
        highway I imagine you could get by with much less in a hammock.

        http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-troller_FAQ.php#1

        The manufacturer of my liner makes portable units for people in
        wheelchairs, heavy equipment users, etc who may have to work in cold
        as well as AC adaptors...

        http://www.warmnsafe.com/

        I have no idea how long one of these would last on a stand alone
        battery... but it may be an interesting thing to try...

        Jim
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
          Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation problems with
          this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

          From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
          Check out one of these wood stoves from Titanium Goat. Look at the lightest
          version. Just over 1 pound.
          http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

          If you had something like a tent around and over your hammock one of these
          might work.

          If it was setup right you might be able to feed the stove without getting
          out of your hammock.

          Bill in Texas

          --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
          <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
          From: ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
          <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> >
          To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
              Let us know if you come up with anything!

              I'm also an RC airplane enthusiast and that might be another avenue
              for lightweight power - lots of new tech battery options out there
              right now - Lipoly, A123, etc...

              Jim

              On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
              > Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                with my scouts.
                I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.

                1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold nights)
                5. No chance of an electrical.
                6. Uncomplicated
                7. Proven

                Ralph (Pocatello)

              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Hi Ed,

                  I don't know anyone that has used one of these.  I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells.  I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                  On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good.  It might be fun to do some testing with one of these.  At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                  Bill in Texas

                  --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com>

                  From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                  To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                    THe wood is going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be
                    vented outside the tent it is in. I don't think that charcoal would be
                    hotter than wood. In the wood stove that I used in my tipi, there was a
                    specific instruction not to burn cardboard or quantities of paper, as
                    they could burn through the steel.

                    I thought it was silly that cardboard would burn hotter than wood, but
                    when I tried burning up some cardboard, it was considerably hotter than
                    any of the wood fires I had made up to that point.

                    Rick

                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                      HI,

                      Yes, the vent pipe has to go out of your enclosure.

                      I just called Doug at TC.  He said one load of wood would only last 30 minutes or so before you would need to start adding some more wood.  The stove is not very large - 6.25" by 12" long.  He said he has had folks tell him they used charcoal.  He thinks your tent or what ever you were in might allow enough outside air to get in so you might be able to burn charcoal.  I would not take the chance with charcoal.

                      I could see one of these being used to dry out my clothes if they were damp and to get my space warm at the time I decide to go to sleep.  Then start it back up early in the morning and warm things up and boil some water at the same time.  All of this might be done from the hammock if you got everything ready the night before.

                      Bill in Texas

                      THe wood ian>an>s going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be

                      Bill Fornshell wrote:

                      > Hi Ed,

                      > I don't know anyone that has used one of these. I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells. I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                      > On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good. It might be fun to do some testing with one of these. At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                      > Bill in Texas

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

                        > The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
                        who's
                        > tried one?

                        Here's a write-up w/ pics by Turk...he used a TiGoat stove inside a
                        prototype JRB tarptent that he installed a stove jack in.
                        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

                        Jeff
                      • ratsmouth@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                          Glad someone else brought up the CO issue with charcoal. I lost a high
                          school friend who thought it was okay to light a hibachi in a (sort of)
                          enclosed space to keep warm one night. It was the last thing she ever
                          did. She left behind a two year old son. She was only 20.

                          Ratty

                          From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:hammockcamping@
                          yahoogroups. com]

                          On Behalf Of Bill Fornshell

                          Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:08 PM

                          To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

                          From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                          To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp
                          ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                            > Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation
                            problems with
                            > this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

                            Yeah I do and I can't get past the safely issues. I don't think
                            silnylon is flame retardant to start with, I don't think our
                            WinterTarp is large enough when closed off for a wood burning stove,
                            and I think you might want something with a shape that was more
                            accommodating and had some means of exhausting the fumes for a wood
                            burning stove.

                            Our WinterTarp is designed for backpacking and as such it was designed
                            to be flexible enough to handle a wide range of conditions. When
                            backpacking with hammocks you don't always want your shelter closed
                            off or be confined to cleared and flat tent spots with appropriate
                            trees. Sometimes you just want rain protection and as much view as
                            possible, and sometimes you might want to camp on a slope in a cove
                            protected from the wind, etc. You are looking at something pretty
                            specialized when you are talking about a hammock tent/tarptent that
                            safely accommodates a wood burning stove for warmth.

                            Dave Womble
                            aka Youngblood 2000AT
                            WinterTarp
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                              > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                              > with my scouts.
                              > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
                              >
                              > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                              > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                              > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                              > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
                              nights)
                              > 5. No chance of an electrical.
                              > 6. Uncomplicated
                              > 7. Proven
                              >
                              > Ralph (Pocatello)

                              Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
                              http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
                              products for this.

                              I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
                              the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
                              They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
                              something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
                              little more than what you have.

                              Dave
                            • Horace
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                                Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
                                burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
                                would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
                                freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
                                try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
                                hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
                                The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
                                Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
                                potentially pose a fire risk.
                                I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
                                to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

                                Nigel

                                Sent from my iPhone!