RE: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
      Great idea! There are many ways to skin a cat & there are many ways to stay
      warm when winter camping. Of course, I make SegmentedPadExtenders, and down
      PeaPods & UnderQuilts for hammock warmth, but I'm always looking for other
      or better methods. Someday, technology will solve this problem for us.

      I'd love to have more time to experiment with alternative stay-warm systems
      for hammocks. AC or DC heaters, open or enclosed flames, chemical body
      warmers, & probably many others I've not thought of yet could each have
      legitimate uses. I know of folks who've plugged in an AC electric blanket
      with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
      electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
      be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &
      coveralls for winter warmth-wouldn't it be neat if we could adapt this for
      hammock use. Even if the heat lasted only one night, it could still be
      appropriate for many campouts.

      At this week's New Year's Eve campout atop Springer Mtn, GA, I used a 12-hr
      HotHands Body Warmer & was quite impressed! (Wal-Mart, <$2 for 3 pack; 1.3
      oz each). The heat lasted a full 10 hrs-they also come in 16 & 18 hr
      versions. There are versions for hands & feet as well. I'll gladly carry
      some on my winter campouts from now on. It's probably been 10 years or more
      since I'd tried these-they're vastly improved now..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone who's
        tried one? How long does it burn before needing more fuel? Could you use
        charcoal instead of wood? .Ed

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
          On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
          > with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
          > electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
          > be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &

          I ride a motorcycle and love my electric jacket liner. One neat thing
          I have is a 'heat troller' basically instead of a simple on-off
          switch - it's a thermostat for my electric gear - it is a fancy
          electronic gizmo that controls the temp. My liner is a 65w unit and I
          rarely crank it over 1/2 way. If that keeps me warm going 65 down the
          highway I imagine you could get by with much less in a hammock.

          http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-troller_FAQ.php#1

          The manufacturer of my liner makes portable units for people in
          wheelchairs, heavy equipment users, etc who may have to work in cold
          as well as AC adaptors...

          http://www.warmnsafe.com/

          I have no idea how long one of these would last on a stand alone
          battery... but it may be an interesting thing to try...

          Jim
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation problems with
            this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

            From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            Check out one of these wood stoves from Titanium Goat. Look at the lightest
            version. Just over 1 pound.
            http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

            If you had something like a tent around and over your hammock one of these
            might work.

            If it was setup right you might be able to feed the stove without getting
            out of your hammock.

            Bill in Texas

            --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
            <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
            From: ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
            <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> >
            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
              Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                Let us know if you come up with anything!

                I'm also an RC airplane enthusiast and that might be another avenue
                for lightweight power - lots of new tech battery options out there
                right now - Lipoly, A123, etc...

                Jim

                On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
                > Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                  with my scouts.
                  I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.

                  1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                  2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                  3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                  4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold nights)
                  5. No chance of an electrical.
                  6. Uncomplicated
                  7. Proven

                  Ralph (Pocatello)

                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Hi Ed,

                    I don't know anyone that has used one of these.  I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells.  I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                    On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good.  It might be fun to do some testing with one of these.  At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                    Bill in Texas

                    --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com>

                    From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                    To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                      THe wood is going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be
                      vented outside the tent it is in. I don't think that charcoal would be
                      hotter than wood. In the wood stove that I used in my tipi, there was a
                      specific instruction not to burn cardboard or quantities of paper, as
                      they could burn through the steel.

                      I thought it was silly that cardboard would burn hotter than wood, but
                      when I tried burning up some cardboard, it was considerably hotter than
                      any of the wood fires I had made up to that point.

                      Rick

                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                        HI,

                        Yes, the vent pipe has to go out of your enclosure.

                        I just called Doug at TC.  He said one load of wood would only last 30 minutes or so before you would need to start adding some more wood.  The stove is not very large - 6.25" by 12" long.  He said he has had folks tell him they used charcoal.  He thinks your tent or what ever you were in might allow enough outside air to get in so you might be able to burn charcoal.  I would not take the chance with charcoal.

                        I could see one of these being used to dry out my clothes if they were damp and to get my space warm at the time I decide to go to sleep.  Then start it back up early in the morning and warm things up and boil some water at the same time.  All of this might be done from the hammock if you got everything ready the night before.

                        Bill in Texas

                        THe wood ian>an>s going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be

                        Bill Fornshell wrote:

                        > Hi Ed,

                        > I don't know anyone that has used one of these. I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells. I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                        > On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good. It might be fun to do some testing with one of these. At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                        > Bill in Texas

                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

                          > The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
                          who's
                          > tried one?

                          Here's a write-up w/ pics by Turk...he used a TiGoat stove inside a
                          prototype JRB tarptent that he installed a stove jack in.
                          http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

                          Jeff
                        • ratsmouth@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                            Glad someone else brought up the CO issue with charcoal. I lost a high
                            school friend who thought it was okay to light a hibachi in a (sort of)
                            enclosed space to keep warm one night. It was the last thing she ever
                            did. She left behind a two year old son. She was only 20.

                            Ratty

                            From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:hammockcamping@
                            yahoogroups. com]

                            On Behalf Of Bill Fornshell

                            Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:08 PM

                            To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

                            From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                            To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp
                            ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                              > Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation
                              problems with
                              > this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

                              Yeah I do and I can't get past the safely issues. I don't think
                              silnylon is flame retardant to start with, I don't think our
                              WinterTarp is large enough when closed off for a wood burning stove,
                              and I think you might want something with a shape that was more
                              accommodating and had some means of exhausting the fumes for a wood
                              burning stove.

                              Our WinterTarp is designed for backpacking and as such it was designed
                              to be flexible enough to handle a wide range of conditions. When
                              backpacking with hammocks you don't always want your shelter closed
                              off or be confined to cleared and flat tent spots with appropriate
                              trees. Sometimes you just want rain protection and as much view as
                              possible, and sometimes you might want to camp on a slope in a cove
                              protected from the wind, etc. You are looking at something pretty
                              specialized when you are talking about a hammock tent/tarptent that
                              safely accommodates a wood burning stove for warmth.

                              Dave Womble
                              aka Youngblood 2000AT
                              WinterTarp
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                                > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                                > with my scouts.
                                > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
                                >
                                > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                                > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                                > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                                > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
                                nights)
                                > 5. No chance of an electrical.
                                > 6. Uncomplicated
                                > 7. Proven
                                >
                                > Ralph (Pocatello)

                                Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
                                http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
                                products for this.

                                I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
                                the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
                                They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
                                something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
                                little more than what you have.

                                Dave
                              • Horace
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                                  Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
                                  burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
                                  would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
                                  freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
                                  try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
                                  hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
                                  The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
                                  Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
                                  potentially pose a fire risk.
                                  I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
                                  to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

                                  Nigel

                                  Sent from my iPhone!