Keeping warm in winter

  • ginohav
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
      My son spent a couple of days in Maine camping out in 10 degree
      weather. I asked him how he keep warm and he told me he used an
      emergeny car powerstart battery assy. and plugged in his small heater
      set on 500 watts and it lasted two 8 hr nights. Here's another thought,
      use a winter tarp with a Zodi propane heater. Lugging around Powerstart
      car batteries and Zodi heaters only adds a couple of more pounds
      conpared with lugging around underquits and more padding. Each style of
      camping will have different sets of parameters. The style of camping
      using heaters and winter tents will only appeal to campers who pull
      small sleds while snowshoeing in on flat terrain and could care less
      about adding an extra couple of pounds. I think using special designed
      winter hammocks is the way to go for winter hammocking rather then
      modifing a 3 season hammock for winter conditions. Just my thoughts and
      nothing is set in stone.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        Hi,

        Check out one of these wood stoves from Titanium Goat.  Look at the lightest version.  Just over 1 pound.
        http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

        If you had something like a tent around and over your hammock one of these might work.

        If it was setup right you might be able to feed the stove without getting out of your hammock.

        Bill in Texas

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
          Great idea! There are many ways to skin a cat & there are many ways to stay
          warm when winter camping. Of course, I make SegmentedPadExtenders, and down
          PeaPods & UnderQuilts for hammock warmth, but I'm always looking for other
          or better methods. Someday, technology will solve this problem for us.

          I'd love to have more time to experiment with alternative stay-warm systems
          for hammocks. AC or DC heaters, open or enclosed flames, chemical body
          warmers, & probably many others I've not thought of yet could each have
          legitimate uses. I know of folks who've plugged in an AC electric blanket
          with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
          electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
          be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &
          coveralls for winter warmth-wouldn't it be neat if we could adapt this for
          hammock use. Even if the heat lasted only one night, it could still be
          appropriate for many campouts.

          At this week's New Year's Eve campout atop Springer Mtn, GA, I used a 12-hr
          HotHands Body Warmer & was quite impressed! (Wal-Mart, <$2 for 3 pack; 1.3
          oz each). The heat lasted a full 10 hrs-they also come in 16 & 18 hr
          versions. There are versions for hands & feet as well. I'll gladly carry
          some on my winter campouts from now on. It's probably been 10 years or more
          since I'd tried these-they're vastly improved now..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Author, Hammock Camping book

          Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone who's
            tried one? How long does it burn before needing more fuel? Could you use
            charcoal instead of wood? .Ed

            --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
              On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
              > with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
              > electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
              > be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &

              I ride a motorcycle and love my electric jacket liner. One neat thing
              I have is a 'heat troller' basically instead of a simple on-off
              switch - it's a thermostat for my electric gear - it is a fancy
              electronic gizmo that controls the temp. My liner is a 65w unit and I
              rarely crank it over 1/2 way. If that keeps me warm going 65 down the
              highway I imagine you could get by with much less in a hammock.

              http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-troller_FAQ.php#1

              The manufacturer of my liner makes portable units for people in
              wheelchairs, heavy equipment users, etc who may have to work in cold
              as well as AC adaptors...

              http://www.warmnsafe.com/

              I have no idea how long one of these would last on a stand alone
              battery... but it may be an interesting thing to try...

              Jim
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation problems with
                this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

                From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                Check out one of these wood stoves from Titanium Goat. Look at the lightest
                version. Just over 1 pound.
                http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

                If you had something like a tent around and over your hammock one of these
                might work.

                If it was setup right you might be able to feed the stove without getting
                out of your hammock.

                Bill in Texas

                --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
                <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
                From: ginohav <ginohav@... <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com>
                <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> >
                To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Let us know if you come up with anything!

                    I'm also an RC airplane enthusiast and that might be another avenue
                    for lightweight power - lots of new tech battery options out there
                    right now - Lipoly, A123, etc...

                    Jim

                    On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks Jim, I once bought all the DIY gear to make a thermostat controlled DC hammock warmer similar to your jacket liner, but never found the time to actually finish the project. So the idea is rattling around inside my head….Ed
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                      with my scouts.
                      I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.

                      1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                      2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                      3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                      4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold nights)
                      5. No chance of an electrical.
                      6. Uncomplicated
                      7. Proven

                      Ralph (Pocatello)

                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Hi Ed,

                        I don't know anyone that has used one of these.  I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells.  I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                        On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good.  It might be fun to do some testing with one of these.  At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                        Bill in Texas

                        --- On Fri, 1/2/09, ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com>

                        From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                          THe wood is going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be
                          vented outside the tent it is in. I don't think that charcoal would be
                          hotter than wood. In the wood stove that I used in my tipi, there was a
                          specific instruction not to burn cardboard or quantities of paper, as
                          they could burn through the steel.

                          I thought it was silly that cardboard would burn hotter than wood, but
                          when I tried burning up some cardboard, it was considerably hotter than
                          any of the wood fires I had made up to that point.

                          Rick

                        • Bill Fornshell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                            HI,

                            Yes, the vent pipe has to go out of your enclosure.

                            I just called Doug at TC.  He said one load of wood would only last 30 minutes or so before you would need to start adding some more wood.  The stove is not very large - 6.25" by 12" long.  He said he has had folks tell him they used charcoal.  He thinks your tent or what ever you were in might allow enough outside air to get in so you might be able to burn charcoal.  I would not take the chance with charcoal.

                            I could see one of these being used to dry out my clothes if they were damp and to get my space warm at the time I decide to go to sleep.  Then start it back up early in the morning and warm things up and boil some water at the same time.  All of this might be done from the hammock if you got everything ready the night before.

                            Bill in Texas

                            THe wood ian>an>s going to create carbon monoxide as well. The vent has to be

                            Bill Fornshell wrote:

                            > Hi Ed,

                            > I don't know anyone that has used one of these. I talked to Doug last week about something and just had a look over the things he sells. I was really surprised at the low weight of his lightest stove.

                            > On the question about using charcoal, I think charcoal puts of carbon monoxide which would not be so good. It might be fun to do some testing with one of these. At 17 ounces for his lightest stove a light hiker could about carry one of these and still be under 25 pounds.

                            > Bill in Texas

                          • Jeff
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009

                              > The Titanium Goat stove does look good Bill. Do you know of anyone
                              who's
                              > tried one?

                              Here's a write-up w/ pics by Turk...he used a TiGoat stove inside a
                              prototype JRB tarptent that he installed a stove jack in.
                              http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

                              Jeff
                            • ratsmouth@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Glad someone else brought up the CO issue with charcoal. I lost a high
                                school friend who thought it was okay to light a hibachi in a (sort of)
                                enclosed space to keep warm one night. It was the last thing she ever
                                did. She left behind a two year old son. She was only 20.

                                Ratty

                                From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:hammockcamping@
                                yahoogroups. com]

                                On Behalf Of Bill Fornshell

                                Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:08 PM

                                To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

                                From: ginohav <ginohav@yahoo. com <mailto:ginohav% 40yahoo.com> >

                                To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:hammockcamp
                                ing%40yahoogroup s.com>

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                                  > Youngblood, do you have any thoughts on safety or condensation
                                  problems with
                                  > this stove & the WinterTarp? ..Ed

                                  Yeah I do and I can't get past the safely issues. I don't think
                                  silnylon is flame retardant to start with, I don't think our
                                  WinterTarp is large enough when closed off for a wood burning stove,
                                  and I think you might want something with a shape that was more
                                  accommodating and had some means of exhausting the fumes for a wood
                                  burning stove.

                                  Our WinterTarp is designed for backpacking and as such it was designed
                                  to be flexible enough to handle a wide range of conditions. When
                                  backpacking with hammocks you don't always want your shelter closed
                                  off or be confined to cleared and flat tent spots with appropriate
                                  trees. Sometimes you just want rain protection and as much view as
                                  possible, and sometimes you might want to camp on a slope in a cove
                                  protected from the wind, etc. You are looking at something pretty
                                  specialized when you are talking about a hammock tent/tarptent that
                                  safely accommodates a wood burning stove for warmth.

                                  Dave Womble
                                  aka Youngblood 2000AT
                                  WinterTarp
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009

                                    > Ed, I've been using the "hot hands" warmers for years while snow camping
                                    > with my scouts.
                                    > I would vote for them as the way to go over an electrical sytem.
                                    >
                                    > 1. Cheap (50 cents each)
                                    > 2. Reliable (keep them in your winter pack)
                                    > 3. Light weight (couple of oz each)
                                    > 4. Flexible (don't use for warm nights, use two or three for cold
                                    nights)
                                    > 5. No chance of an electrical.
                                    > 6. Uncomplicated
                                    > 7. Proven
                                    >
                                    > Ralph (Pocatello)

                                    Thanks Ralph... I just looked over their site
                                    http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm and they have a variety of
                                    products for this.

                                    I can see why you like them so much, with the climate you are in and
                                    the Boy Scouts. I suspect they are required safety items for you?
                                    They make a lot of sense for those just in case situations where
                                    something happens you weren't prepared for or when you just need a
                                    little more than what you have.

                                    Dave
                                  • Horace
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                                      Hi I just spent 3 nights in a tipi style tent with a larger wood
                                      burning stove. Banked up with 3-4 arm to leg thick pieces of wood it
                                      would stay warm for about 2-3 hours. Outside temperatures where around
                                      freezing and it meant I could relax in comfort. Would be intresting to
                                      try the stove out near to the hammock setup with additional tarps to
                                      hold the heat a bit. Would certainly be warner than an open fire.
                                      The sides can glow with wood so would be reluctant to try cardboard.
                                      Also paper and cardboard throw out more ash and that which could
                                      potentially pose a fire risk.
                                      I only burnt wood and with doors closed it seemed ok for CO? May have
                                      to get a CO tester to be sure next time.

                                      Nigel

                                      Sent from my iPhone!