Re: Winter hammock tents

  • gilmem2
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
      You guys are right on target with your various concerns about winter
      hammock tents, and I really look forward to your progress. Meantime,
      I will throw out a compromise rig I use during the winter, which has
      worked pretty good to 20 degrees with 30+ mph winds, even with a
      cheap wallyworld synthetic bag and no underquilt stuff. It ain't
      great, but is works for now.

      I use the cheap polyethelene (blue, camo, etc) tarps from the
      lumberyard or wally world. I keep several laying around for other
      uses anyway. Depending on whether I am car camping or backpacking, I
      use something from 10x16 up to 12x20.

      I throw it over a ridge line and stake both sides to the ground with
      the ridge a couple feet off center. I rig the height so that one
      side is just above a 10/12 pitch, the other just below. 10/12 is
      approximately wind neutral. Flatter causes uplift, while a steeper
      pitch catches side pressure. Staying close to a 10/12 and staking to
      the ground minimizes wind effects to a large degree.

      For the ends I cut a 10x12 tarp in half down the diagonal, and I hook
      one half to each end with 4to 6 tarp clips for car camping, or the
      same number of pebbles and mason twine if backpacking. If the wind
      is kicking hard, I stake out the center of each end as the size of
      the tarp allows.

      I try to rig so that the hammock hangs crosswind to let the big tarp
      shed the wind. The ridge line is on the hammock entry side of the
      trees, as is the flat or wide pitch. The hammock itself is rigged to
      the back side of the trees. This allows a pretty big space on the
      front side for chair or stool, changing, cooking, etc.

      Low cost and effective, but a bit heavy and inelegant. With the
      smaller tarp, I leave the most leeward end a bit loose to discourage
      condensation, since the poly does not breathe at all. The bigger tarp
      is less prone to the problem.

      I like Dave's winter tarp design for backpacking, but for under $30 I
      am fine with my rig for all winter here in Alabama, until someone
      comes up with a nicer nylon rig a bit bigger than Dave's at a lower
      price. At the rate y'all are going, that should be within a couple
      of years. Above 40 degrees, I just use a nylon hex tarp, back side
      low, front up a bit for easier access, and don't worry about it.

      Like everyone else, I would really like something that handles like a
      sports car, protects like a tank, and costs near nothing. Someone
      out there can put it together.

      > I think we have similar feelings about this and that you may have
      > missed a detail in my analogy? FWIW, I was referring to making a
      true
      > winter tent for a hammock, where the 'for a hammock' part is an
      > important detail. Here is my statement: "I worry that if you try to
      > make true winter tent for a hammock that it might be like trying to
      > make a tank out of a sports car where you end up with something that
      > doesn't do anything well."
      >
      > I don't claim that my WinterTarp is a substitute for a true winter
      > tent-- I hope folks realize that and appreciate what tarps are
      capable
      > of compared to aerodynamic tents with lower profiles, no way for the
      > wind to get under them, and reinforcements by the way of poles,
      > guyouts, etc. In moderate winter conditions in a hammock, wind is a
      > major problem because of how much heat it takes away from you...
      that
> [...]
      > suggest you can hang it on exposed ridgelines, etc like you can a
      true
      > winter tent when high winds or storms are expected.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into
      > > tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a
      hammock a
      > > novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock
      campers
      > > are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
      > > winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience
      counts
      > > and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a
      few
      > > luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
      > > elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent
      far
      > > outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
      > > trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go
      light.
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@>
      wrote:

      > > > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a
      true

      > > > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a
      hammock.

      > > > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to
      trees.
      > > > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a
      hammock.
      > > > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think
      of
      > > for
      > > > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to
      handle
      > > > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps
      of
      > > snow
      > > > falling from limbs.
      > > >
      > > > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
      > > level.
      > > > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along
      those
      > > > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like
      enclosure.
      > > With
      > > > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit
      your
      > > > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for
      > > > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a
      sports
      > > > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything
      well.

      > > > Dave Womble
      > > > aka Youngblood 2000AT
      > > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit
      Underquilt,