Re: Introduction

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
      Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

      Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

      Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

      As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

      Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

      We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

      Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

      Happy New Year!

      Rosaleen

      Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

    • spidennis
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
        Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
        on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
        exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
        and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
        uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
        day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
        scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
        will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
        ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
        training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
        they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
        summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
        hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
        not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
        that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
        and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
        is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
        yeah!

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
        a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
        Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
        guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
        finished mid January.

        > Tom Galvin
        > Commodore
        > Cold Spring Kayak Club
        > 914-213-3421
        > thebaldguyd@...
        > www.cskc.org

        age range. (I reach 59 soon.) Hubby and I have a very rarely used canoe. I would consider
        getting a second-hand kayak, after I have a chance to see if my beat-up back can handle
        paddling one.

        > I'm surprised that you went with a Safari Deluxe. They are HUGE. Even when weight is
        less of a consideration, an Expedition-sized hammock (same size as Asym Backpacker and
        Hyperlight models) is plenty for me at 5'9" and the Explorer is plenty large enough for
        hubby at 6'3." The Safari could fit 2 normal-sized people, but they would be smashed
        together... Too much "cuddling" to really sleep well for me. I can anslwer a lot of questions
        about Hennessy Hammocks, but my little comfort tricks for my Asym Backpacker would
        need to be modified to work with the much larger Safari.

        > If you want to cross paths sometime, I can see about renting/borrowing a kayak, or
        hiking around your kayaking schedule, hooking up to camp. There may be a trail that
        roughly parallels one of your water trips. Alternatively, we might recruit someone to share
        my canoe.

        > Regards,
        >
        > Rosaleen
        >

        > IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec
        27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not
        to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a
        HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to
        tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a
        shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair,
        lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old
        crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good
        company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making
        my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom
        Generation?

      • David Fox
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
          Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
          live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
          old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
          the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
          but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
          place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
          hammockcamping group.

          <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>