Re: [Hammock Camping] Introduction

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
      Tom - The Long Lake trip sounds like fun. I'm consulting with my two
      camping buddies to see if we have plans for those dates. I know we've
      got a week when we're just going to hang out at Forked Lake, swim,
      kayak and eat like pigs. But if I'm free......yeah.

      Ratty

      From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>

      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Introduction

      To: "hammockcamping" <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 10:29 AM

      Hiya, back!

      Are you "Ratty" form WomenHikers? If so, you may remember me, Rosaleen.

      Just south of the Adirondacks may put
      you within shouting distance of
      me, as I live a bit west of Boston.

      At anyrate, we have in common Hennessy Hammocks, moseying, and being in
      the same age range. (I reach 59 soon.) Hubby and I have a very rarely
      used canoe. I would consider getting a second-hand kayak, after I have
      a chance to see if my beat-up back can handle paddling one.

      I'm surprised that you went with a Safari Deluxe. They are HUGE. Even
      when weight is less of a consideration, an Expedition-sized hammock
      (same size as Asym Backpacker and Hyperlight models) is plenty for me
      at 5'9" and the Explorer is plenty large enough for hubby at 6'3." The
      Safari could fit 2 normal-sized people, but they would be smashed
      together... Too much "cuddling" to really sleep well for me. I can
      anslwer a lot of questions about Hennessy Hammocks, but my little
      comfort tricks for my Asym Backpacker would need to be modified to work
      with the much larger Safari.

      If you want to cross paths sometime, I can see about renting/borrowing
      a kayak, or hiking around your kayaking schedule, hooking up to camp.
      There may be a trail that roughly parallels one of your water trips.
      Alternatively, we might recruit someone to share my canoe.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com
      holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member
      here, and new to
      hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old
      female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari
      Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an
      alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier.
      Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put
      up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly
      is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones.
      We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each
      other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to
      picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody
      else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
        Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

        Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

        Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

        As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

        Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

        We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

        Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

        Happy New Year!

        Rosaleen

        Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

      • spidennis
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
          Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
          on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
          exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
          and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
          uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
          day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
          scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
          will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
          ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
          training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
          they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
          summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
          hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
          not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
          that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
          and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
          is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
          yeah!

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
          a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
          Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
          guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
          finished mid January.

          > Tom Galvin
          > Commodore
          > Cold Spring Kayak Club
          > 914-213-3421
          > thebaldguyd@...
          > www.cskc.org

        • David Fox
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
            Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
            live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
            old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
            the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
            but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
            place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
            hammockcamping group.

            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>