Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Introduction

  • Hollis Easter
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
      Hi there!

      It is odd how many Hollises are popping up. There's you, there's me...
      I'm an editor for BackpackGearTest, and we just got some reviews from a
      new tester named Hollis, too. I guess there aren't many of us, but we
      all like doing things outdoors.

      I'm a guy Hollis, named for my grandfather, who invented the machine
      that could build those Pyrex glass measuring cups that everyone has.

      > I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
      > hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
      > problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
      > make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
      > it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
      > becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

      I'm glad to help, as I said. But in case you're enjoying this
      ridiculously warm weather and want to lie in your hammock before then:

      "How far apart" is somewhat easy: the trees need to be far enough apart
      that the whole hammock body can hang between them with enough room to
      not touch the trees, and then you need enough more room that you can tie
      things up. The best way to learn this, in my experience, is to measure a
      pair of trees (for distance) with paces or trekking poles or whatever,
      then try setting up the hammock. See how it works. That'll tell you
      whether your distance is good, too large, or too small.

      As for how high: depends on how far apart your trees are, or whether
      you're trying to hang above an obstruction. I'm big and tall, so I tend
      to hang 'em about as high as I can reach.

      A related thought: resist the temptation to string up the hammock as
      tight as can be. It'll stretch like mad when you sit in it, and you may
      end up brushing the ground anyway. Instead, put it up so it doesn't
      flop too much, but leave some slack: the force angles will be much
      nicer, the ropes won't stretch as much, and you'll have an easier time.

      Fly positioning is pretty easy if you use the built-in Hennessy Prusiks
      on the support ropes. Try it in the backyard a few times; if you get
      wet, figure out why. Seems like if you consider wind direction in
      choosing your site, the tarp does a fantastic job of keeping you dry.

      I have a Hennessy Explorer UL, camp and backpack primarily in the
      Adirondacks, although I did a section of the AT/LT in Vermont last
      summer. I'm hoping to get out as much as possible. I keep hoping to find
      congenial sorts for a Northville-Placid Trail thruhike, but haven't
      gotten there yet. I'm working on the winter 46, enjoy rock climbing, and
      am learning to ice climb.

      Jeff's a great resource for everything, basically. As far as insulation
      goes: I've only recently upgraded from a closed-cell foam pad (the
      ubiquitous blue foam pad) and a pair of very light windshield reflectors
      from the dollar store. I used the windshield reflector(s) because I have
      broad shoulders.

      I'm now using a Hennessy SuperShelter, but the pad/reflector option is
      easy, very effective, and extremely economical.

      Good luck!
      Hollis
    • Tom Galvin
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
        Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

        Tom Galvin
        Commodore
        Cold Spring Kayak Club
        914-213-3421
        thebaldguyd@...
        www.cskc.org

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
          Tom - The Long Lake trip sounds like fun. I'm consulting with my two
          camping buddies to see if we have plans for those dates. I know we've
          got a week when we're just going to hang out at Forked Lake, swim,
          kayak and eat like pigs. But if I'm free......yeah.

          Ratty

          From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>

          To: "hammockcamping" <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
            Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

            Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

            Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

            As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

            Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

            We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

            Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

            Happy New Year!

            Rosaleen

            Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

          • spidennis
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
              Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
              on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
              exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
              and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
              uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
              day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
              scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
              will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
              ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
              training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
              they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
              summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
              hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
              not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
              that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
              and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
              is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
              yeah!

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

              > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
              a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
              Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
              guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
              finished mid January.

              > Tom Galvin
              > Commodore
              > Cold Spring Kayak Club
              > 914-213-3421
              > thebaldguyd@...
              > www.cskc.org

            • David Fox
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
                Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
                live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
                old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
                the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
                but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
                place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
                hammockcamping group.

                <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>