Re: [Hammock Camping] Introduction

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
      Hey, Rosaleen!

      Yeah, I'm the same Ratty from WomenHikers, and I do remember you. I
      got the Safari Deluxe unused at half price, and it may prove to be too
      much hammock for me, but since I don't (yet) backpack -- just kayak and
      car camp -- its size wasn't an issue. I'm 5'8" and "substantial", and
      I wanted to be sure the hammock wouldn't strain under the weight.

      The kayak might actually be GOOD for your back, depending on the
      problem. I find that at the end of the paddling season, I have
      incredible upper body strength and lots of supportive muscle around the
      old ribcage, thanks to the double paddle. All you can do is try it
      out. Borrow one and go for some short paddles, eh?

      I see a lot of events being planned for the southern states and
      California. Anything up here? It would be great to get together.

      Ratty

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
        Thanks, Dick! I checked, and the #4 snakeskins fit this monster. I
        might hold off buying/making them until after I've decided to
        keep/sell/swap the Safari Deluxe. They really do look like they add
        some versatility and convenience to the HH. Just being able to get the
        hammock out of the way during the day would be great.

        Man, I love hearing from other 60+ year old campers!

        Ratty

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
          Hi there!

          It is odd how many Hollises are popping up. There's you, there's me...
          I'm an editor for BackpackGearTest, and we just got some reviews from a
          new tester named Hollis, too. I guess there aren't many of us, but we
          all like doing things outdoors.

          I'm a guy Hollis, named for my grandfather, who invented the machine
          that could build those Pyrex glass measuring cups that everyone has.

          > I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
          > hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
          > problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
          > make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
          > it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
          > becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

          I'm glad to help, as I said. But in case you're enjoying this
          ridiculously warm weather and want to lie in your hammock before then:

          "How far apart" is somewhat easy: the trees need to be far enough apart
          that the whole hammock body can hang between them with enough room to
          not touch the trees, and then you need enough more room that you can tie
          things up. The best way to learn this, in my experience, is to measure a
          pair of trees (for distance) with paces or trekking poles or whatever,
          then try setting up the hammock. See how it works. That'll tell you
          whether your distance is good, too large, or too small.

          As for how high: depends on how far apart your trees are, or whether
          you're trying to hang above an obstruction. I'm big and tall, so I tend
          to hang 'em about as high as I can reach.

          A related thought: resist the temptation to string up the hammock as
          tight as can be. It'll stretch like mad when you sit in it, and you may
          end up brushing the ground anyway. Instead, put it up so it doesn't
          flop too much, but leave some slack: the force angles will be much
          nicer, the ropes won't stretch as much, and you'll have an easier time.

          Fly positioning is pretty easy if you use the built-in Hennessy Prusiks
          on the support ropes. Try it in the backyard a few times; if you get
          wet, figure out why. Seems like if you consider wind direction in
          choosing your site, the tarp does a fantastic job of keeping you dry.

          I have a Hennessy Explorer UL, camp and backpack primarily in the
          Adirondacks, although I did a section of the AT/LT in Vermont last
          summer. I'm hoping to get out as much as possible. I keep hoping to find
          congenial sorts for a Northville-Placid Trail thruhike, but haven't
          gotten there yet. I'm working on the winter 46, enjoy rock climbing, and
          am learning to ice climb.

          Jeff's a great resource for everything, basically. As far as insulation
          goes: I've only recently upgraded from a closed-cell foam pad (the
          ubiquitous blue foam pad) and a pair of very light windshield reflectors
          from the dollar store. I used the windshield reflector(s) because I have
          broad shoulders.

          I'm now using a Hennessy SuperShelter, but the pad/reflector option is
          easy, very effective, and extremely economical.

          Good luck!
          Hollis
        • Tom Galvin
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
            Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

            Tom Galvin
            Commodore
            Cold Spring Kayak Club
            914-213-3421
            thebaldguyd@...
            www.cskc.org

            IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

          • ratsmouth@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
              Tom - The Long Lake trip sounds like fun. I'm consulting with my two
              camping buddies to see if we have plans for those dates. I know we've
              got a week when we're just going to hang out at Forked Lake, swim,
              kayak and eat like pigs. But if I'm free......yeah.

              Ratty

              From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>

              To: "hammockcamping" <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

                Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

                Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

                As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

                Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

                We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

                Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

                Happy New Year!

                Rosaleen

                Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

              • spidennis
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                  Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
                  on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
                  exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
                  and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
                  uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
                  day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
                  scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
                  will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
                  ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
                  training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
                  they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
                  summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
                  hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
                  not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
                  that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
                  and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
                  is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
                  yeah!

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
                  a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
                  Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
                  guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
                  finished mid January.

                  > Tom Galvin
                  > Commodore
                  > Cold Spring Kayak Club
                  > 914-213-3421
                  > thebaldguyd@...
                  > www.cskc.org

                • David Fox
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
                    Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
                    live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
                    old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
                    the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
                    but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
                    place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
                    hammockcamping group.

                    <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>