Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Introduction

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
      Thanks, Jeff! I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp we've been using as a kitchen
      fly for a couple of seasons. Haven't had a chance to set up the HH
      yet, but if the tarp looks small, I have an alternative. Still picking
      up ideas for insulation. I'm hoping to avoid another big investment.
      In the tent, I generally sleep warm in my Cat's Meow 20 degree bag, on
      a Thermarest pad, but I'm aware that heat loss is a bigger issue in a
      hammock, so I'm looking around for some closed cell foam. Will have to
      try out the HH before deciding what to add. I haven't told the Crones
      about my new hammock. Springing this on them should be fun.

      Fascinated by the whole concept of stealth camping, too.

      Okay, I'm 60, going on 10.

      Ratty

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
        Hi there,

        I'm not a baby boomer, but I'm a hammocker from just north of the
        Adirondacks, and I think we share a first name: I'm Hollis, too.

        Hammocks are FANTASTIC for the Adirondacks. If there's anything I can
        do to help (including a get-together/hammock geek session), please let
        me know!

        Best,
        Hollis

        wrote:

        > Hiya!
        >
        > New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping.
        I'm a 60 year old
        > female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH
        Safari Deluxe. Not all that
        > interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent
        camping, especially as I get
        > older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's
        compact and easy to put up
        > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly
        is important to me. I camp
        > with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers,
        paddlers and "moseyers"
        > and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes.
        >
        > Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and
        convenient.
        > Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

      • Dick Dahlen
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
          Ratty: Greetings from Minnesota, 62 have been sleeping in an HH for
          four years, spring, summer, and early fall. Have not made anything for
          "winter camping".
          make or buy an pair of "snakeskins"--Dick

          > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

          is important to me.

          Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

          standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

          an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

          has a few models you may be interested in.

          www.speerhammo
          cks.com

          www.jacksrbetter.com

          www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

          There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

          for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

          12'x12'.

          Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

          friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

          when the site is right.

          Welcome to the gang!

          Jeff
        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
            Hiya, back!

            Are you "Ratty" form WomenHikers? If so, you may remember me, Rosaleen.

            Just south of the Adirondacks may put you within shouting distance of me, as I live a bit west of Boston.

            At anyrate, we have in common Hennessy Hammocks, moseying, and being in the same age range. (I reach 59 soon.) Hubby and I have a very rarely used canoe. I would consider getting a second-hand kayak, after I have a chance to see if my beat-up back can handle paddling one.

            I'm surprised that you went with a Safari Deluxe. They are HUGE. Even when weight is less of a consideration, an Expedition-sized hammock (same size as Asym Backpacker and Hyperlight models) is plenty for me at 5'9" and the Explorer is plenty large enough for hubby at 6'3." The Safari could fit 2 normal-sized people, but they would be smashed together... Too much "cuddling" to really sleep well for me. I can anslwer a lot of questions about Hennessy Hammocks, but my little comfort tricks for my Asym Backpacker would need to be modified to work with the much larger Safari.

            If you want to cross paths sometime, I can see about renting/borrowing a kayak, or hiking around your kayaking schedule, hooking up to camp. There may be a trail that roughly parallels one of your water trips. Alternatively, we might recruit someone to share my canoe.

            Regards,

            Rosaleen

            IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@... holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

          • ratsmouth@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
              Well, how cool is that??? Are you a guy Hollis or a girl Hollis? LOL!
              I always tell people that Mom named me in a fit of post-partum
              depression, and I used to threaten her that I was gonna name her first
              grandchild Jerusha Chlorine, just for spite.

              I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
              hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
              problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
              make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
              it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
              becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

              What flavor of hammock do you have? Where do you camp/backpack? Any
              plans for spring/summer camping?

              There's somewhere north of the Adirondacks? Who knew? Yeah, I thought
              the hammock looked downright perfect for our neck of the woods. Can't
              wait to try it out. JustJeff has been a huge help with the insulation
              ideas. (Thanks, Jeff!)

              Ratty/Holly

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                Hey, Rosaleen!

                Yeah, I'm the same Ratty from WomenHikers, and I do remember you. I
                got the Safari Deluxe unused at half price, and it may prove to be too
                much hammock for me, but since I don't (yet) backpack -- just kayak and
                car camp -- its size wasn't an issue. I'm 5'8" and "substantial", and
                I wanted to be sure the hammock wouldn't strain under the weight.

                The kayak might actually be GOOD for your back, depending on the
                problem. I find that at the end of the paddling season, I have
                incredible upper body strength and lots of supportive muscle around the
                old ribcage, thanks to the double paddle. All you can do is try it
                out. Borrow one and go for some short paddles, eh?

                I see a lot of events being planned for the southern states and
                California. Anything up here? It would be great to get together.

                Ratty

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                  Thanks, Dick! I checked, and the #4 snakeskins fit this monster. I
                  might hold off buying/making them until after I've decided to
                  keep/sell/swap the Safari Deluxe. They really do look like they add
                  some versatility and convenience to the HH. Just being able to get the
                  hammock out of the way during the day would be great.

                  Man, I love hearing from other 60+ year old campers!

                  Ratty

                  Thanks, Jeff! I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp we've been using as a kitchen

                  fly for a couple of seasons. Haven't had a chance to set up the HH

                  yet, but if the tarp looks small, I have an alternative. Still picking

                  up ideas for insulation. I'm hoping to avoid another big investment.

                  In the tent, I generally sleep warm in my Cat's Meow 20 degree bag, on

                  a Thermarest pad,=2
                  0but I'm aware that heat loss is a bigger issue in a

                  hammock, so I'm looking around for some closed cell foam. Will have to

                  try out the HH before deciding what to add. I haven't told the Crones

                  about my new hammock. Springing this on them should be fun.

                  Fascinated by the whole concept of stealth camping, too.

                  Okay, I'm 60, going on 10.

                  Ratty

                  > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

                  is important to me.

                  Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

                  standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

                  an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

                  has a few models you may be interested in.

                  www.speerhammo

                  cks.com

                  www.jacksrbetter.com

                  www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                  There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

                  for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

                  12'x12'.

                  Any of these will g
                  ive you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

                  friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

                  when the site is right.

                  Welcome to the gang!

                  Jeff
                • Hollis Easter
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                    Hi there!

                    It is odd how many Hollises are popping up. There's you, there's me...
                    I'm an editor for BackpackGearTest, and we just got some reviews from a
                    new tester named Hollis, too. I guess there aren't many of us, but we
                    all like doing things outdoors.

                    I'm a guy Hollis, named for my grandfather, who invented the machine
                    that could build those Pyrex glass measuring cups that everyone has.

                    > I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
                    > hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
                    > problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
                    > make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
                    > it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
                    > becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

                    I'm glad to help, as I said. But in case you're enjoying this
                    ridiculously warm weather and want to lie in your hammock before then:

                    "How far apart" is somewhat easy: the trees need to be far enough apart
                    that the whole hammock body can hang between them with enough room to
                    not touch the trees, and then you need enough more room that you can tie
                    things up. The best way to learn this, in my experience, is to measure a
                    pair of trees (for distance) with paces or trekking poles or whatever,
                    then try setting up the hammock. See how it works. That'll tell you
                    whether your distance is good, too large, or too small.

                    As for how high: depends on how far apart your trees are, or whether
                    you're trying to hang above an obstruction. I'm big and tall, so I tend
                    to hang 'em about as high as I can reach.

                    A related thought: resist the temptation to string up the hammock as
                    tight as can be. It'll stretch like mad when you sit in it, and you may
                    end up brushing the ground anyway. Instead, put it up so it doesn't
                    flop too much, but leave some slack: the force angles will be much
                    nicer, the ropes won't stretch as much, and you'll have an easier time.

                    Fly positioning is pretty easy if you use the built-in Hennessy Prusiks
                    on the support ropes. Try it in the backyard a few times; if you get
                    wet, figure out why. Seems like if you consider wind direction in
                    choosing your site, the tarp does a fantastic job of keeping you dry.

                    I have a Hennessy Explorer UL, camp and backpack primarily in the
                    Adirondacks, although I did a section of the AT/LT in Vermont last
                    summer. I'm hoping to get out as much as possible. I keep hoping to find
                    congenial sorts for a Northville-Placid Trail thruhike, but haven't
                    gotten there yet. I'm working on the winter 46, enjoy rock climbing, and
                    am learning to ice climb.

                    Jeff's a great resource for everything, basically. As far as insulation
                    goes: I've only recently upgraded from a closed-cell foam pad (the
                    ubiquitous blue foam pad) and a pair of very light windshield reflectors
                    from the dollar store. I used the windshield reflector(s) because I have
                    broad shoulders.

                    I'm now using a Hennessy SuperShelter, but the pad/reflector option is
                    easy, very effective, and extremely economical.

                    Good luck!
                    Hollis
                  • Tom Galvin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                      Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

                      Tom Galvin
                      Commodore
                      Cold Spring Kayak Club
                      914-213-3421
                      thebaldguyd@...
                      www.cskc.org

                      IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

                    • ratsmouth@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                        Tom - The Long Lake trip sounds like fun. I'm consulting with my two
                        camping buddies to see if we have plans for those dates. I know we've
                        got a week when we're just going to hang out at Forked Lake, swim,
                        kayak and eat like pigs. But if I'm free......yeah.

                        Ratty

                        From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>

                        To: "hammockcamping" <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                          Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

                          Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

                          Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

                          As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

                          Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

                          We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

                          Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

                          Happy New Year!

                          Rosaleen

                          Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

                        • spidennis
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                            Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
                            on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
                            exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
                            and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
                            uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
                            day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
                            scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
                            will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
                            ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
                            training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
                            they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
                            summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
                            hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
                            not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
                            that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
                            and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
                            is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
                            yeah!

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
                            a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
                            Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
                            guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
                            finished mid January.

                            > Tom Galvin
                            > Commodore
                            > Cold Spring Kayak Club
                            > 914-213-3421
                            > thebaldguyd@...
                            > www.cskc.org

                          • David Fox
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
                              Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
                              live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
                              old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
                              the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
                              but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
                              place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
                              hammockcamping group.

                              <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>