Re: Introduction

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "holliscbarton"
      <ratsmouth@...> wrote:

      > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly
      is important to me.

      Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes
      standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has
      an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat
      has a few models you may be interested in.

      www.speerhammocks.com
      www.jacksrbetter.com
      www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

      There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor
      for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and
      12'x12'.

      Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your
      friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp
      when the site is right.

      Welcome to the gang!

      Jeff
    • ratsmouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
        Thanks, Jeff! I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp we've been using as a kitchen
        fly for a couple of seasons. Haven't had a chance to set up the HH
        yet, but if the tarp looks small, I have an alternative. Still picking
        up ideas for insulation. I'm hoping to avoid another big investment.
        In the tent, I generally sleep warm in my Cat's Meow 20 degree bag, on
        a Thermarest pad, but I'm aware that heat loss is a bigger issue in a
        hammock, so I'm looking around for some closed cell foam. Will have to
        try out the HH before deciding what to add. I haven't told the Crones
        about my new hammock. Springing this on them should be fun.

        Fascinated by the whole concept of stealth camping, too.

        Okay, I'm 60, going on 10.

        Ratty

        > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

        is important to me.

        Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

        standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

        an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

        has a few models you may be interested in.

        www.speerhammo
        cks.com

        www.jacksrbetter.com

        www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

        There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

        for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

        12'x12'.

        Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

        friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

        when the site is right.

        Welcome to the gang!

        Jeff
      • Hollis
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 27, 2008
          Hi there,

          I'm not a baby boomer, but I'm a hammocker from just north of the
          Adirondacks, and I think we share a first name: I'm Hollis, too.

          Hammocks are FANTASTIC for the Adirondacks. If there's anything I can
          do to help (including a get-together/hammock geek session), please let
          me know!

          Best,
          Hollis

          wrote:

          > Hiya!
          >
          > New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping.
          I'm a 60 year old
          > female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH
          Safari Deluxe. Not all that
          > interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent
          camping, especially as I get
          > older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's
          compact and easy to put up
          > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly
          is important to me. I camp
          > with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers,
          paddlers and "moseyers"
          > and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes.
          >
          > Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and
          convenient.
          > Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

        • Dick Dahlen
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
            Ratty: Greetings from Minnesota, 62 have been sleeping in an HH for
            four years, spring, summer, and early fall. Have not made anything for
            "winter camping".
            make or buy an pair of "snakeskins"--Dick

            > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

            is important to me.

            Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

            standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

            an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

            has a few models you may be interested in.

            www.speerhammo
            cks.com

            www.jacksrbetter.com

            www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

            There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

            for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

            12'x12'.

            Any of these will give you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

            friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

            when the site is right.

            Welcome to the gang!

            Jeff
          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
              Hiya, back!

              Are you "Ratty" form WomenHikers? If so, you may remember me, Rosaleen.

              Just south of the Adirondacks may put you within shouting distance of me, as I live a bit west of Boston.

              At anyrate, we have in common Hennessy Hammocks, moseying, and being in the same age range. (I reach 59 soon.) Hubby and I have a very rarely used canoe. I would consider getting a second-hand kayak, after I have a chance to see if my beat-up back can handle paddling one.

              I'm surprised that you went with a Safari Deluxe. They are HUGE. Even when weight is less of a consideration, an Expedition-sized hammock (same size as Asym Backpacker and Hyperlight models) is plenty for me at 5'9" and the Explorer is plenty large enough for hubby at 6'3." The Safari could fit 2 normal-sized people, but they would be smashed together... Too much "cuddling" to really sleep well for me. I can anslwer a lot of questions about Hennessy Hammocks, but my little comfort tricks for my Asym Backpacker would need to be modified to work with the much larger Safari.

              If you want to cross paths sometime, I can see about renting/borrowing a kayak, or hiking around your kayaking schedule, hooking up to camp. There may be a trail that roughly parallels one of your water trips. Alternatively, we might recruit someone to share my canoe.

              Regards,

              Rosaleen

              IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@... holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

            • ratsmouth@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                Well, how cool is that??? Are you a guy Hollis or a girl Hollis? LOL!
                I always tell people that Mom named me in a fit of post-partum
                depression, and I used to threaten her that I was gonna name her first
                grandchild Jerusha Chlorine, just for spite.

                I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
                hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
                problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
                make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
                it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
                becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

                What flavor of hammock do you have? Where do you camp/backpack? Any
                plans for spring/summer camping?

                There's somewhere north of the Adirondacks? Who knew? Yeah, I thought
                the hammock looked downright perfect for our neck of the woods. Can't
                wait to try it out. JustJeff has been a huge help with the insulation
                ideas. (Thanks, Jeff!)

                Ratty/Holly

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                  Hey, Rosaleen!

                  Yeah, I'm the same Ratty from WomenHikers, and I do remember you. I
                  got the Safari Deluxe unused at half price, and it may prove to be too
                  much hammock for me, but since I don't (yet) backpack -- just kayak and
                  car camp -- its size wasn't an issue. I'm 5'8" and "substantial", and
                  I wanted to be sure the hammock wouldn't strain under the weight.

                  The kayak might actually be GOOD for your back, depending on the
                  problem. I find that at the end of the paddling season, I have
                  incredible upper body strength and lots of supportive muscle around the
                  old ribcage, thanks to the double paddle. All you can do is try it
                  out. Borrow one and go for some short paddles, eh?

                  I see a lot of events being planned for the southern states and
                  California. Anything up here? It would be great to get together.

                  Ratty

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                    Thanks, Dick! I checked, and the #4 snakeskins fit this monster. I
                    might hold off buying/making them until after I've decided to
                    keep/sell/swap the Safari Deluxe. They really do look like they add
                    some versatility and convenience to the HH. Just being able to get the
                    hammock out of the way during the day would be great.

                    Man, I love hearing from other 60+ year old campers!

                    Ratty

                    Thanks, Jeff! I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp we've been using as a kitchen

                    fly for a couple of seasons. Haven't had a chance to set up the HH

                    yet, but if the tarp looks small, I have an alternative. Still picking

                    up ideas for insulation. I'm hoping to avoid another big investment.

                    In the tent, I generally sleep warm in my Cat's Meow 20 degree bag, on

                    a Thermarest pad,=2
                    0but I'm aware that heat loss is a bigger issue in a

                    hammock, so I'm looking around for some closed cell foam. Will have to

                    try out the HH before deciding what to add. I haven't told the Crones

                    about my new hammock. Springing this on them should be fun.

                    Fascinated by the whole concept of stealth camping, too.

                    Okay, I'm 60, going on 10.

                    Ratty

                    > in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly

                    is important to me.

                    Then you'll surely want a larger tarp than the one that comes

                    standard with the HH. There are several option available...Speer has

                    an 8'x10' and an 11'x10' Winter Tarp, JRB has an 11'x10', and MacCat

                    has a few models you may be interested in.

                    www.speerhammo

                    cks.com

                    www.jacksrbetter.com

                    www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                    There are also cheaper ones since weight isn't as much of a factor

                    for you...check on the Kelty Noah 9 or the Guide Gear 9'x9' and

                    12'x12'.

                    Any of these will g
                    ive you room to lounge and cook, sit with your

                    friends, etc. I usually hang my son next to me under the same tarp

                    when the site is right.

                    Welcome to the gang!

                    Jeff
                  • Hollis Easter
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                      Hi there!

                      It is odd how many Hollises are popping up. There's you, there's me...
                      I'm an editor for BackpackGearTest, and we just got some reviews from a
                      new tester named Hollis, too. I guess there aren't many of us, but we
                      all like doing things outdoors.

                      I'm a guy Hollis, named for my grandfather, who invented the machine
                      that could build those Pyrex glass measuring cups that everyone has.

                      > I have to try setting up this contraption this spring, and I'm really
                      > hoping that I can figure it out. The figure-8 hookup on the ends is no
                      > problem, but things like "how high" and "how far apart" and "how do I
                      > make sure it's level" and "how do I get my tarp centered over
                      > it"....Those are the little techie problems I gotta work out so it
                      > becomes as easy as it looks in the videos.

                      I'm glad to help, as I said. But in case you're enjoying this
                      ridiculously warm weather and want to lie in your hammock before then:

                      "How far apart" is somewhat easy: the trees need to be far enough apart
                      that the whole hammock body can hang between them with enough room to
                      not touch the trees, and then you need enough more room that you can tie
                      things up. The best way to learn this, in my experience, is to measure a
                      pair of trees (for distance) with paces or trekking poles or whatever,
                      then try setting up the hammock. See how it works. That'll tell you
                      whether your distance is good, too large, or too small.

                      As for how high: depends on how far apart your trees are, or whether
                      you're trying to hang above an obstruction. I'm big and tall, so I tend
                      to hang 'em about as high as I can reach.

                      A related thought: resist the temptation to string up the hammock as
                      tight as can be. It'll stretch like mad when you sit in it, and you may
                      end up brushing the ground anyway. Instead, put it up so it doesn't
                      flop too much, but leave some slack: the force angles will be much
                      nicer, the ropes won't stretch as much, and you'll have an easier time.

                      Fly positioning is pretty easy if you use the built-in Hennessy Prusiks
                      on the support ropes. Try it in the backyard a few times; if you get
                      wet, figure out why. Seems like if you consider wind direction in
                      choosing your site, the tarp does a fantastic job of keeping you dry.

                      I have a Hennessy Explorer UL, camp and backpack primarily in the
                      Adirondacks, although I did a section of the AT/LT in Vermont last
                      summer. I'm hoping to get out as much as possible. I keep hoping to find
                      congenial sorts for a Northville-Placid Trail thruhike, but haven't
                      gotten there yet. I'm working on the winter 46, enjoy rock climbing, and
                      am learning to ice climb.

                      Jeff's a great resource for everything, basically. As far as insulation
                      goes: I've only recently upgraded from a closed-cell foam pad (the
                      ubiquitous blue foam pad) and a pair of very light windshield reflectors
                      from the dollar store. I used the windshield reflector(s) because I have
                      broad shoulders.

                      I'm now using a Hennessy SuperShelter, but the pad/reflector option is
                      easy, very effective, and extremely economical.

                      Good luck!
                      Hollis
                    • Tom Galvin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                        Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

                        Tom Galvin
                        Commodore
                        Cold Spring Kayak Club
                        914-213-3421
                        thebaldguyd@...
                        www.cskc.org

                        IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair, lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom Generation?

                      • ratsmouth@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 28, 2008
                          Tom - The Long Lake trip sounds like fun. I'm consulting with my two
                          camping buddies to see if we have plans for those dates. I know we've
                          got a week when we're just going to hang out at Forked Lake, swim,
                          kayak and eat like pigs. But if I'm free......yeah.

                          Ratty

                          From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>

                          To: "hammockcamping" <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                            Hi, Tom, Ratty, Et Al-

                            Tom-You and I "talked" about a possible Labor Day trip with your group, but hubby's and my timm off work did not allow as many days as we needed. We could not make it work. It would be great if we could set up something this summer.

                            Ratty-How cool! We will have some fun here.

                            As far as your Hennessy set up-I think you posted that you are fairly short. The Safari has a much deeper body as well as longer length than the other Hennessy models, so you will need to hang it proportioinally higher. You may see write-ups that say to hang the hammock ropes at about shoulder height or close to that. That is a good starting point for one sized to your height. Your shoulder height will be much lower than someone who is 6'6," a target user for the Safari. The direction to hang the hammock so the entrance is about chair height should still be close for you. It is just hard to figure that out without experience. How much everything sags will also depend on how far apart the trees are. Even with experience, you may find yourself needing to adjust things, but not to worry. If you have the straps slung around the trees, not wrapped tightly, you should be able to work the straps up or down without untying everything.

                            Your best bet for insulation might be an SPE so that you can get insulation right under you. I might also use a big tarp, slug low, and/or an outer wrapping of a space blanket. For your hammock you may need to put two together. I'm thinking that most systems would end up bing incredibly bulky to wrap around your whold hammock body.

                            We can work on this more later, since you are looking at starting with your hammock in the spring. There is a small group of Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers who get together a few time a year. Michael or someone will post whne the next event is planned. If not, I will speak up. Meeting on the Maryland AT makes it a bit of a ride for me, but it is a great group.

                            Gotta run. I'm heading off to Ohio to see my parents in few hours.

                            Happy New Year!

                            Rosaleen

                            Re: IntroductionPosted by: "Tom Galvin" thebaldguyd@... thebaldguydDate: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 pm ((PST)) Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be finished mid January.

                          • spidennis
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 29, 2008
                              Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
                              on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
                              exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
                              and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
                              uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
                              day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
                              scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
                              will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
                              ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
                              training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
                              they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
                              summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
                              hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
                              not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
                              that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
                              and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
                              is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
                              yeah!

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
                              a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
                              Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
                              guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
                              finished mid January.

                              > Tom Galvin
                              > Commodore
                              > Cold Spring Kayak Club
                              > 914-213-3421
                              > thebaldguyd@...
                              > www.cskc.org

                            • David Fox
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 6, 2009
                                Hi SPIDennis, Are you all cleaned up from the visit by Dolly this summer? I
                                live up in Dallas and have come to SPI every summer now since I was 3 years
                                old. That started 50 years ago! I missed a couple of years while I was in
                                the military and this summer since it was two days after Dolly came through
                                but I did make it down about three weeks after Dolly to check on my mothers'
                                place at the Radisson. Glad to see another person from Texas here on the
                                hammockcamping group.

                                <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>