Re: Winter hammock tents

  • hungry
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
      Here is a site that sells a very well thought out design... you can
      get a tent, netting, and cozy quilt for it. As well, they sell models
      with a sleeve for a sleeping pad insert. Roomy enough for two, very
      stable.

      http://www.newtribe.com/

      And this is a super awesome one point hammock. You can sew a sleeve
      into it. Very well thought out as well, excellent for rock climbing
      or and hardcore minimalist.

      http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html
    • hungry
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
        Also, since we are on the topic of hammock TENTS, why not hang a small
        candle lantern inside?? With a wire screen surround, even if it fell,
        it would not burn anything due to the wire surround keeping the
        distance from the fabric, etc...
      • ginohav
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 25, 2008
          I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
          tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
          novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
          are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
          winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
          and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
          luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
          elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
          outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
          trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
          > >
          > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
          > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
          >
          > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
          >
          > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
          > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
          > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
          for
          > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
          > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
          snow
          > falling from limbs.
          >
          > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
          level.
          > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
          > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
          With
          > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
          > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
          > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
          > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
          >
          > Dave Womble
          > aka Youngblood 2000AT
          > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
          and
          > WinterTarp

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
            hammocks bounce around a lot.

            Just for an experiment

            1. hang an unlit candle in your setup and see how much it moves while you
            move in and out.
            2. Light the candle on a table and put some of your fabric 4 inches or so
            above it and see if it starts to char after 15 minutes or so.
            3. Then bounce it around some to see if the melted wax is contained.

            Ralph Oborn

          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
              I have a candle lantern that I use, but I hang it outside my hammock, but inside my tarp from a guyline I run. No problems with burning even within six inches of the tarp fabric, but I watch it and usually have it hanging further away. There's always the LED laterns for folks who are worried about flaming issues!

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                Thanks,

                I'll stop worrying about you guys

                Ralph

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 28, 2008
                  I think we have similar feelings about this and that you may have
                  missed a detail in my analogy? FWIW, I was referring to making a true
                  winter tent for a hammock, where the 'for a hammock' part is an
                  important detail. Here is my statement: "I worry that if you try to
                  make true winter tent for a hammock that it might be like trying to
                  make a tank out of a sports car where you end up with something that
                  doesn't do anything well."

                  I do have what is arguable a true winter tent in a Stevenson 2R and
                  have made and used hammock tarptents. I have used both in mildish
                  winter conditions in the southeast Appalachian Mountains and can
                  easily appreciate the difference between their capabilities. In my
                  experience, the more I tried to make a winter tarptent for a hammock,
                  the more I felt like I was trying to make a tank out of a sports car
                  where I ended up with something that didn't do anything particularly
                  well. It looked impressive to those that didn't appreciate wind
                  could be setup, etc (and I didn't appreciate those myself until I got
                  field experience with it). In the end I settled for a winter tarp
                  design for a hammock that was capable of blocking direct hits from
                  moderate wind but was still sports car-ish enough to not be too
                  complex to setup and has lots of flexibility in how it can be setup.
                  I don't claim that my WinterTarp is a substitute for a true winter
                  tent-- I hope folks realize that and appreciate what tarps are capable
                  of compared to aerodynamic tents with lower profiles, no way for the
                  wind to get under them, and reinforcements by the way of poles,
                  guyouts, etc. In moderate winter conditions in a hammock, wind is a
                  major problem because of how much heat it takes away from you... that
                  is what I address with my WinterTarp for a hammock. I would never
                  suggest you can hang it on exposed ridgelines, etc like you can a true
                  winter tent when high winds or storms are expected.

                  Dave

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
                  > tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
                  > novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
                  > are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
                  > winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
                  > and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
                  > luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
                  > elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
                  > outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
                  > trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
                  > > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
                  > >
                  > > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
                  > >
                  > > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
                  > > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
                  > > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
                  > for
                  > > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
                  > > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
                  > snow
                  > > falling from limbs.
                  > >
                  > > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
                  > level.
                  > > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
                  > > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
                  > With
                  > > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
                  > > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
                  > > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
                  > > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
                  > >
                  > > Dave Womble
                  > > aka Youngblood 2000AT
                  > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
                  > and
                  > > WinterTarp

                • gilmem2
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
                    You guys are right on target with your various concerns about winter
                    hammock tents, and I really look forward to your progress. Meantime,
                    I will throw out a compromise rig I use during the winter, which has
                    worked pretty good to 20 degrees with 30+ mph winds, even with a
                    cheap wallyworld synthetic bag and no underquilt stuff. It ain't
                    great, but is works for now.

                    I use the cheap polyethelene (blue, camo, etc) tarps from the
                    lumberyard or wally world. I keep several laying around for other
                    uses anyway. Depending on whether I am car camping or backpacking, I
                    use something from 10x16 up to 12x20.

                    I throw it over a ridge line and stake both sides to the ground with
                    the ridge a couple feet off center. I rig the height so that one
                    side is just above a 10/12 pitch, the other just below. 10/12 is
                    approximately wind neutral. Flatter causes uplift, while a steeper
                    pitch catches side pressure. Staying close to a 10/12 and staking to
                    the ground minimizes wind effects to a large degree.

                    For the ends I cut a 10x12 tarp in half down the diagonal, and I hook
                    one half to each end with 4to 6 tarp clips for car camping, or the
                    same number of pebbles and mason twine if backpacking. If the wind
                    is kicking hard, I stake out the center of each end as the size of
                    the tarp allows.

                    I try to rig so that the hammock hangs crosswind to let the big tarp
                    shed the wind. The ridge line is on the hammock entry side of the
                    trees, as is the flat or wide pitch. The hammock itself is rigged to
                    the back side of the trees. This allows a pretty big space on the
                    front side for chair or stool, changing, cooking, etc.

                    Low cost and effective, but a bit heavy and inelegant. With the
                    smaller tarp, I leave the most leeward end a bit loose to discourage
                    condensation, since the poly does not breathe at all. The bigger tarp
                    is less prone to the problem.

                    I like Dave's winter tarp design for backpacking, but for under $30 I
                    am fine with my rig for all winter here in Alabama, until someone
                    comes up with a nicer nylon rig a bit bigger than Dave's at a lower
                    price. At the rate y'all are going, that should be within a couple
                    of years. Above 40 degrees, I just use a nylon hex tarp, back side
                    low, front up a bit for easier access, and don't worry about it.

                    Like everyone else, I would really like something that handles like a
                    sports car, protects like a tank, and costs near nothing. Someone
                    out there can put it together.