Re: Winter hammock tents

  • hungry
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
      I am currently building a hammock with a tent attachment. The hammock
      has 3/4" PVC tubing as spreader bars, to a width of about 30". The
      hammock is 7'4" long and can transform into a BAT hammock ( single
      point attachment) when the spreader bars are removed from their velcro
      sleeves. It has been a huge pain in the butt to build. :D But it
      looks fantastic. Building the rain fly/ tent today...it too must
      transform for the BAT mode...!

      I added a sleeve to the floor of the hammock for the insertion of a
      sleeping pad. I can fit a full sized foam-style inflatable pad and a
      thing reflective pad as well, for colder weather.

      So far, so good...Wish me luck. :D
    • hungry
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
        Here is a site that sells a very well thought out design... you can
        get a tent, netting, and cozy quilt for it. As well, they sell models
        with a sleeve for a sleeping pad insert. Roomy enough for two, very
        stable.

        http://www.newtribe.com/

        And this is a super awesome one point hammock. You can sew a sleeve
        into it. Very well thought out as well, excellent for rock climbing
        or and hardcore minimalist.

        http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html
      • hungry
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
          Also, since we are on the topic of hammock TENTS, why not hang a small
          candle lantern inside?? With a wire screen surround, even if it fell,
          it would not burn anything due to the wire surround keeping the
          distance from the fabric, etc...
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 25, 2008
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

            ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
            > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...

            I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.

            Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
            Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
            All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of for
            a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
            serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of snow
            falling from limbs.

            Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully level.
            Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
            lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure. With
            hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
            exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
            hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
            car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood 2000AT
            WinterTarp
          • ginohav
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 25, 2008
              I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
              tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
              novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
              are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
              winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
              and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
              luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
              elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
              outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
              trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
              > >
              > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
              > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
              >
              > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
              >
              > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
              > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
              > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
              for
              > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
              > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
              snow
              > falling from limbs.
              >
              > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
              level.
              > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
              > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
              With
              > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
              > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
              > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
              > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
              >
              > Dave Womble
              > aka Youngblood 2000AT
              > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
              and
              > WinterTarp

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                hammocks bounce around a lot.

                Just for an experiment

                1. hang an unlit candle in your setup and see how much it moves while you
                move in and out.
                2. Light the candle on a table and put some of your fabric 4 inches or so
                above it and see if it starts to char after 15 minutes or so.
                3. Then bounce it around some to see if the melted wax is contained.

                Ralph Oborn

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                  I have a candle lantern that I use, but I hang it outside my hammock, but inside my tarp from a guyline I run. No problems with burning even within six inches of the tarp fabric, but I watch it and usually have it hanging further away. There's always the LED laterns for folks who are worried about flaming issues!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                    Thanks,

                    I'll stop worrying about you guys

                    Ralph

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 28, 2008
                      I think we have similar feelings about this and that you may have
                      missed a detail in my analogy? FWIW, I was referring to making a true
                      winter tent for a hammock, where the 'for a hammock' part is an
                      important detail. Here is my statement: "I worry that if you try to
                      make true winter tent for a hammock that it might be like trying to
                      make a tank out of a sports car where you end up with something that
                      doesn't do anything well."

                      I do have what is arguable a true winter tent in a Stevenson 2R and
                      have made and used hammock tarptents. I have used both in mildish
                      winter conditions in the southeast Appalachian Mountains and can
                      easily appreciate the difference between their capabilities. In my
                      experience, the more I tried to make a winter tarptent for a hammock,
                      the more I felt like I was trying to make a tank out of a sports car
                      where I ended up with something that didn't do anything particularly
                      well. It looked impressive to those that didn't appreciate wind
                      could be setup, etc (and I didn't appreciate those myself until I got
                      field experience with it). In the end I settled for a winter tarp
                      design for a hammock that was capable of blocking direct hits from
                      moderate wind but was still sports car-ish enough to not be too
                      complex to setup and has lots of flexibility in how it can be setup.
                      I don't claim that my WinterTarp is a substitute for a true winter
                      tent-- I hope folks realize that and appreciate what tarps are capable
                      of compared to aerodynamic tents with lower profiles, no way for the
                      wind to get under them, and reinforcements by the way of poles,
                      guyouts, etc. In moderate winter conditions in a hammock, wind is a
                      major problem because of how much heat it takes away from you... that
                      is what I address with my WinterTarp for a hammock. I would never
                      suggest you can hang it on exposed ridgelines, etc like you can a true
                      winter tent when high winds or storms are expected.

                      Dave

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

                      > I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
                      > tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
                      > novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
                      > are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
                      > winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
                      > and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
                      > luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
                      > elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
                      > outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
                      > trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
                      > > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
                      > >
                      > > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
                      > >
                      > > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
                      > > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
                      > > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
                      > for
                      > > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
                      > > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
                      > snow
                      > > falling from limbs.
                      > >
                      > > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
                      > level.
                      > > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
                      > > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
                      > With
                      > > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
                      > > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
                      > > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
                      > > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
                      > >
                      > > Dave Womble
                      > > aka Youngblood 2000AT
                      > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
                      > and
                      > > WinterTarp

                    • gilmem2
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
                        You guys are right on target with your various concerns about winter
                        hammock tents, and I really look forward to your progress. Meantime,
                        I will throw out a compromise rig I use during the winter, which has
                        worked pretty good to 20 degrees with 30+ mph winds, even with a
                        cheap wallyworld synthetic bag and no underquilt stuff. It ain't
                        great, but is works for now.

                        I use the cheap polyethelene (blue, camo, etc) tarps from the
                        lumberyard or wally world. I keep several laying around for other
                        uses anyway. Depending on whether I am car camping or backpacking, I
                        use something from 10x16 up to 12x20.

                        I throw it over a ridge line and stake both sides to the ground with
                        the ridge a couple feet off center. I rig the height so that one
                        side is just above a 10/12 pitch, the other just below. 10/12 is
                        approximately wind neutral. Flatter causes uplift, while a steeper
                        pitch catches side pressure. Staying close to a 10/12 and staking to
                        the ground minimizes wind effects to a large degree.

                        For the ends I cut a 10x12 tarp in half down the diagonal, and I hook
                        one half to each end with 4to 6 tarp clips for car camping, or the
                        same number of pebbles and mason twine if backpacking. If the wind
                        is kicking hard, I stake out the center of each end as the size of
                        the tarp allows.

                        I try to rig so that the hammock hangs crosswind to let the big tarp
                        shed the wind. The ridge line is on the hammock entry side of the
                        trees, as is the flat or wide pitch. The hammock itself is rigged to
                        the back side of the trees. This allows a pretty big space on the
                        front side for chair or stool, changing, cooking, etc.

                        Low cost and effective, but a bit heavy and inelegant. With the
                        smaller tarp, I leave the most leeward end a bit loose to discourage
                        condensation, since the poly does not breathe at all. The bigger tarp
                        is less prone to the problem.

                        I like Dave's winter tarp design for backpacking, but for under $30 I
                        am fine with my rig for all winter here in Alabama, until someone
                        comes up with a nicer nylon rig a bit bigger than Dave's at a lower
                        price. At the rate y'all are going, that should be within a couple
                        of years. Above 40 degrees, I just use a nylon hex tarp, back side
                        low, front up a bit for easier access, and don't worry about it.

                        Like everyone else, I would really like something that handles like a
                        sports car, protects like a tank, and costs near nothing. Someone
                        out there can put it together.