Re: [Hammock Camping] Winter hammock tents

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 23, 2008
      I've seen a lot of adaptations of using a tarp-tent with a hammock....similar to the speer winter tarp, but with a stove-pipe insert and a ti-goat woodstove. Eventually, I'd like to do this, but I have no issues winter camping in the mountains with just my speer winter tarp, a few camp pads (closed cell and a self inflating)..but I also like to add some of that reflectivix stuff (bubble wrap w/mylar on either side) as an extra "stuffer" (I have a claytor w/ a camp pad pocket) and as a "floor", which may be one reason why I don't get cold in my hammock. ?? 'Course, having plenty of hand and food warmers don't hurt either!

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
        http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm

        sandy in miami

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
          I just googled hammock tents and came up with the Siam Hammock Tent,
          that has, apparently been around for some time . comments going back
          to 03, and it is in the index for Ed Speer's book, so I'll go back
          and take a look.

          ...it was referred to as cheap in Thailand, but I find it on sale for
          $179 http://ovck.com/3AccessoreisF1.htm

          I love my el cheapo Byer's of Maine Moskito Traveller, but don't
          always find trees in the right spot in florida.

          has anyone modified a hammock so you could use as a tent? Mine has
          lots of string - as opposed to a gathered hammock.

          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"
          <sandykayak@...> wrote:

          > http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm
          >
          > sandy in miami
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Winter hammock camping is great except for wind chill (known by
          > other
          > > names as well). While a rain fly will reduce wind chill it
          doesn't
          > > eliminate it and if the temp. drops low enough even the most
          > hardened
          > > winter hammock camper (if you don't build snow walls ect.)will go
          > to a
          > > tent. Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a
          true
          > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent. I
          > snowshoe
          > > into camp pulling a small sled and an extra 5 lbs means nothing
          > me.
          > > I'd rather be warm and comfortable then try a save a couple of
          oz's
          > off
          > > my gear weight.I work outside in minus temp. everyday and wind is
          > the
          > > biggest killer of all. I would design this tent without a floor
          so
          > > can add a small tent (fold up type) wood burning stove. I'm
          talking
          > > real winter camping and not going out for a night or two in clear
          > > weather. While we are at it why not design a true winter hammock
          > with
          > > insulation built into the hammock? Just my thoughts.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
            Here's a hammock tent with a built-in stove jack for a TiGoat
            woodburning stove. I think he's been to -40F in this one.
            http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?
            t=2244&highlight=stove+jack

            And here's Grizz's DIY tarptent for his bridge hammock.
            http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?
            i=2494&catid=searchresults&searchid=11334

            Here's a hammock with insulation built in. There are several of these
            projects around, but PandaHammock is the only commercial one and it's
            no good.
            http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html

            Hope this helps!

            Jeff
          • hungry
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
              I am currently building a hammock with a tent attachment. The hammock
              has 3/4" PVC tubing as spreader bars, to a width of about 30". The
              hammock is 7'4" long and can transform into a BAT hammock ( single
              point attachment) when the spreader bars are removed from their velcro
              sleeves. It has been a huge pain in the butt to build. :D But it
              looks fantastic. Building the rain fly/ tent today...it too must
              transform for the BAT mode...!

              I added a sleeve to the floor of the hammock for the insertion of a
              sleeping pad. I can fit a full sized foam-style inflatable pad and a
              thing reflective pad as well, for colder weather.

              So far, so good...Wish me luck. :D
            • hungry
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
                Here is a site that sells a very well thought out design... you can
                get a tent, netting, and cozy quilt for it. As well, they sell models
                with a sleeve for a sleeping pad insert. Roomy enough for two, very
                stable.

                http://www.newtribe.com/

                And this is a super awesome one point hammock. You can sew a sleeve
                into it. Very well thought out as well, excellent for rock climbing
                or and hardcore minimalist.

                http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html
              • hungry
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 24, 2008
                  Also, since we are on the topic of hammock TENTS, why not hang a small
                  candle lantern inside?? With a wire screen surround, even if it fell,
                  it would not burn anything due to the wire surround keeping the
                  distance from the fabric, etc...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 25, 2008
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

                    ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
                    > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...

                    I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.

                    Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
                    Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
                    All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of for
                    a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
                    serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of snow
                    falling from limbs.

                    Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully level.
                    Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
                    lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure. With
                    hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
                    exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
                    hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
                    car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.

                    Dave Womble
                    aka Youngblood 2000AT
                    WinterTarp
                  • ginohav
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 25, 2008
                      I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
                      tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
                      novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
                      are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
                      winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
                      and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
                      luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
                      elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
                      outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
                      trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
                      > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
                      >
                      > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
                      >
                      > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
                      > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
                      > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
                      for
                      > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
                      > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
                      snow
                      > falling from limbs.
                      >
                      > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
                      level.
                      > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
                      > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
                      With
                      > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
                      > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
                      > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
                      > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
                      >
                      > Dave Womble
                      > aka Youngblood 2000AT
                      > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
                      and
                      > WinterTarp

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                        hammocks bounce around a lot.

                        Just for an experiment

                        1. hang an unlit candle in your setup and see how much it moves while you
                        move in and out.
                        2. Light the candle on a table and put some of your fabric 4 inches or so
                        above it and see if it starts to char after 15 minutes or so.
                        3. Then bounce it around some to see if the melted wax is contained.

                        Ralph Oborn

                      • Tom Frazier
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                          I have a candle lantern that I use, but I hang it outside my hammock, but inside my tarp from a guyline I run. No problems with burning even within six inches of the tarp fabric, but I watch it and usually have it hanging further away. There's always the LED laterns for folks who are worried about flaming issues!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 27, 2008
                            Thanks,

                            I'll stop worrying about you guys

                            Ralph

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 28, 2008
                              I think we have similar feelings about this and that you may have
                              missed a detail in my analogy? FWIW, I was referring to making a true
                              winter tent for a hammock, where the 'for a hammock' part is an
                              important detail. Here is my statement: "I worry that if you try to
                              make true winter tent for a hammock that it might be like trying to
                              make a tank out of a sports car where you end up with something that
                              doesn't do anything well."

                              I do have what is arguable a true winter tent in a Stevenson 2R and
                              have made and used hammock tarptents. I have used both in mildish
                              winter conditions in the southeast Appalachian Mountains and can
                              easily appreciate the difference between their capabilities. In my
                              experience, the more I tried to make a winter tarptent for a hammock,
                              the more I felt like I was trying to make a tank out of a sports car
                              where I ended up with something that didn't do anything particularly
                              well. It looked impressive to those that didn't appreciate wind
                              could be setup, etc (and I didn't appreciate those myself until I got
                              field experience with it). In the end I settled for a winter tarp
                              design for a hammock that was capable of blocking direct hits from
                              moderate wind but was still sports car-ish enough to not be too
                              complex to setup and has lots of flexibility in how it can be setup.
                              I don't claim that my WinterTarp is a substitute for a true winter
                              tent-- I hope folks realize that and appreciate what tarps are capable
                              of compared to aerodynamic tents with lower profiles, no way for the
                              wind to get under them, and reinforcements by the way of poles,
                              guyouts, etc. In moderate winter conditions in a hammock, wind is a
                              major problem because of how much heat it takes away from you... that
                              is what I address with my WinterTarp for a hammock. I would never
                              suggest you can hang it on exposed ridgelines, etc like you can a true
                              winter tent when high winds or storms are expected.

                              Dave

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

                              > I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
                              > tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
                              > novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
                              > are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
                              > winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
                              > and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
                              > luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
                              > elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
                              > outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
                              > trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
                              > > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
                              > >
                              > > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
                              > >
                              > > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
                              > > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
                              > > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
                              > for
                              > > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
                              > > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
                              > snow
                              > > falling from limbs.
                              > >
                              > > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
                              > level.
                              > > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
                              > > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
                              > With
                              > > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
                              > > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
                              > > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
                              > > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
                              > >
                              > > Dave Womble
                              > > aka Youngblood 2000AT
                              > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
                              > and
                              > > WinterTarp

                            • gilmem2
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
                                You guys are right on target with your various concerns about winter
                                hammock tents, and I really look forward to your progress. Meantime,
                                I will throw out a compromise rig I use during the winter, which has
                                worked pretty good to 20 degrees with 30+ mph winds, even with a
                                cheap wallyworld synthetic bag and no underquilt stuff. It ain't
                                great, but is works for now.

                                I use the cheap polyethelene (blue, camo, etc) tarps from the
                                lumberyard or wally world. I keep several laying around for other
                                uses anyway. Depending on whether I am car camping or backpacking, I
                                use something from 10x16 up to 12x20.

                                I throw it over a ridge line and stake both sides to the ground with
                                the ridge a couple feet off center. I rig the height so that one
                                side is just above a 10/12 pitch, the other just below. 10/12 is
                                approximately wind neutral. Flatter causes uplift, while a steeper
                                pitch catches side pressure. Staying close to a 10/12 and staking to
                                the ground minimizes wind effects to a large degree.

                                For the ends I cut a 10x12 tarp in half down the diagonal, and I hook
                                one half to each end with 4to 6 tarp clips for car camping, or the
                                same number of pebbles and mason twine if backpacking. If the wind
                                is kicking hard, I stake out the center of each end as the size of
                                the tarp allows.

                                I try to rig so that the hammock hangs crosswind to let the big tarp
                                shed the wind. The ridge line is on the hammock entry side of the
                                trees, as is the flat or wide pitch. The hammock itself is rigged to
                                the back side of the trees. This allows a pretty big space on the
                                front side for chair or stool, changing, cooking, etc.

                                Low cost and effective, but a bit heavy and inelegant. With the
                                smaller tarp, I leave the most leeward end a bit loose to discourage
                                condensation, since the poly does not breathe at all. The bigger tarp
                                is less prone to the problem.

                                I like Dave's winter tarp design for backpacking, but for under $30 I
                                am fine with my rig for all winter here in Alabama, until someone
                                comes up with a nicer nylon rig a bit bigger than Dave's at a lower
                                price. At the rate y'all are going, that should be within a couple
                                of years. Above 40 degrees, I just use a nylon hex tarp, back side
                                low, front up a bit for easier access, and don't worry about it.

                                Like everyone else, I would really like something that handles like a
                                sports car, protects like a tank, and costs near nothing. Someone
                                out there can put it together.