Re: [Hammock Camping] Ebay shipping [was: Extra large + thick sleeping pads]

  • Blake Robert
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
      When I saw how high her standard UPS charge was-I wrote two questions to the seller-she responded to one about the item but did not address the question about a lower UPS rate for such a high shipment charges for less than 200 miles. UPS charges by distance as well as weight and size-so, she made some money there. But, she sent it out so fast, despite her site saying she sent out items one day of the week---that I gave her good feedback---but, NOT 5 stars for reasonable shipping rates.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
        I FINALLY found a Therm-A-Rest (I have regular and prolite) where I
        could feel the difference in comfort level...tho haven't tried it out
        in the field for a whole night:

        http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=130&cID=2

        Also, I love the women's length. But I forgot to order the stuff
        sack so haven't been able to see it rolled up. It will be OK for
        kayak camping, but probably too bulky for backpacking.

        sandy in miami

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
        wrote:

        > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide
        sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same
        material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the
        standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only
        thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to
        the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit
        high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
          has anyone really priced other foam pads. The final price (w/s&h) for the ebay pad really isn't that bad when you consider what you get 72x32x.5". Others elsewhere are smaller 72x~20x.5", include at least 5.00 s&h or 5.00 if you are 15-20 miles each way from a Kmart or Walmart. And if you just go out and buy closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam from a foam shop you will certinally pay MORE.

          closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam sleeping Pad / exercise mat

          From REI
          Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat 13.93 AND YOU WILL NEED ~<50% more to get 32" wide
          Dimensions 72 x 20 x 0.63 inches
          Weight 16 ounces
          Packed size 20 x 7.75 inches

          From Kmart Size not specified and find it in stock?
          Wenzel Swissgear Cross-linked Foam Camp Pad
          Kmart item# 089W848806110001 Mfr. model# SG157-222 6.99
          Get two $5 Kmart coupons When you sign up for Kmart Emails

          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein