Re: [Hammock Camping] Electric heating pad or blankets

  • Bill Keiser
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
      there are different kinds of camping. my motto is "i can rough it if
      i have to".
      my wife would like this idea. usually we take the down comforter car
      camping. if it's too cold for that, we're in front of the fireplace at
      home.
      if you do consider one of these, their so called "low draw" of 4 amps
      will require a fairly good battery. any electrical device that makes
      heat needs a lot of juice. i would not recommend using your car
      battery when the car is not running! a small jumper battery, usually
      about 17 AH will last about 4 hours and a large 55 AH deep cycle will
      probably hold up for one night.
      bill keiser

      <http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA>

      > Ralph
    • Blake Robert
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
        When I saw how high her standard UPS charge was-I wrote two questions to the seller-she responded to one about the item but did not address the question about a lower UPS rate for such a high shipment charges for less than 200 miles. UPS charges by distance as well as weight and size-so, she made some money there. But, she sent it out so fast, despite her site saying she sent out items one day of the week---that I gave her good feedback---but, NOT 5 stars for reasonable shipping rates.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
          I FINALLY found a Therm-A-Rest (I have regular and prolite) where I
          could feel the difference in comfort level...tho haven't tried it out
          in the field for a whole night:

          http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=130&cID=2

          Also, I love the women's length. But I forgot to order the stuff
          sack so haven't been able to see it rolled up. It will be OK for
          kayak camping, but probably too bulky for backpacking.

          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
          wrote:

          > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide
          sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same
          material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the
          standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only
          thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to
          the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit
          high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
            has anyone really priced other foam pads. The final price (w/s&h) for the ebay pad really isn't that bad when you consider what you get 72x32x.5". Others elsewhere are smaller 72x~20x.5", include at least 5.00 s&h or 5.00 if you are 15-20 miles each way from a Kmart or Walmart. And if you just go out and buy closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam from a foam shop you will certinally pay MORE.

            closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam sleeping Pad / exercise mat

            From REI
            Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat 13.93 AND YOU WILL NEED ~<50% more to get 32" wide
            Dimensions 72 x 20 x 0.63 inches
            Weight 16 ounces
            Packed size 20 x 7.75 inches

            From Kmart Size not specified and find it in stock?
            Wenzel Swissgear Cross-linked Foam Camp Pad
            Kmart item# 089W848806110001 Mfr. model# SG157-222 6.99
            Get two $5 Kmart coupons When you sign up for Kmart Emails

            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein