RE: [Hammock Camping] Electric heating pad or blankets

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
      Ralph, I actually do have one of those 12 volt cig lighter plug-in
      blankets-works great in the car spread over my lap & legs. But I've yet to
      try it in the hammock. I'm sure it will work just fine for hammocks-at
      least for the few hours before the battery is drained! A 110v electric
      blanket should also give great warmth, as you say, as long as the outlet is
      nearby!

      I've also checked into 12 volt wired jackets & suits (a la motorcycle &
      snowmobile riders)---but again, it's the same battery problem. I've also
      done a bit of research on a circulating hot-water system with a candle flame
      heat source-but again, weight, bulk & reliability problems make such a
      system unsuitable. So that brings us back to using our bodies as the most
      reliable heat source when away from electricity-and thus the need for
      PeaPods, SnugFit UnderQuilts, TopBlankets & insulated sleeping pads to trap
      & prevent the loss of that body heat..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
        there are different kinds of camping. my motto is "i can rough it if
        i have to".
        my wife would like this idea. usually we take the down comforter car
        camping. if it's too cold for that, we're in front of the fireplace at
        home.
        if you do consider one of these, their so called "low draw" of 4 amps
        will require a fairly good battery. any electrical device that makes
        heat needs a lot of juice. i would not recommend using your car
        battery when the car is not running! a small jumper battery, usually
        about 17 AH will last about 4 hours and a large 55 AH deep cycle will
        probably hold up for one night.
        bill keiser

        "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

        > OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about
        plugging in,
        > I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,

        <http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA>

        > Ralph
      • Blake Robert
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
          When I saw how high her standard UPS charge was-I wrote two questions to the seller-she responded to one about the item but did not address the question about a lower UPS rate for such a high shipment charges for less than 200 miles. UPS charges by distance as well as weight and size-so, she made some money there. But, she sent it out so fast, despite her site saying she sent out items one day of the week---that I gave her good feedback---but, NOT 5 stars for reasonable shipping rates.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
            I FINALLY found a Therm-A-Rest (I have regular and prolite) where I
            could feel the difference in comfort level...tho haven't tried it out
            in the field for a whole night:

            http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=130&cID=2

            Also, I love the women's length. But I forgot to order the stuff
            sack so haven't been able to see it rolled up. It will be OK for
            kayak camping, but probably too bulky for backpacking.

            sandy in miami

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
            wrote:

            > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide
            sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same
            material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the
            standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only
            thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to
            the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit
            high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

          • Arye P. R.
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
              has anyone really priced other foam pads. The final price (w/s&h) for the ebay pad really isn't that bad when you consider what you get 72x32x.5". Others elsewhere are smaller 72x~20x.5", include at least 5.00 s&h or 5.00 if you are 15-20 miles each way from a Kmart or Walmart. And if you just go out and buy closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam from a foam shop you will certinally pay MORE.

              closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam sleeping Pad / exercise mat

              From REI
              Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat 13.93 AND YOU WILL NEED ~<50% more to get 32" wide
              Dimensions 72 x 20 x 0.63 inches
              Weight 16 ounces
              Packed size 20 x 7.75 inches

              From Kmart Size not specified and find it in stock?
              Wenzel Swissgear Cross-linked Foam Camp Pad
              Kmart item# 089W848806110001 Mfr. model# SG157-222 6.99
              Get two $5 Kmart coupons When you sign up for Kmart Emails

              Sapere Aude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein