Re: [Hammock Camping] Electric heating pad or blankets

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
      OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about plugging in,
      I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,
      I was gonna gently rib him and suggest more traditional backpacking ways to
      keep warm (hot rocks) (water bottle)(companion (canine or human))(excercise)

      I was gonna make the old joke about where I go I'd need a 100 mile extension
      cord.

      The my gmail brought up this side ad........

      http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA

      Hmmmm :]

      Ralph (as always "hike your own hike")

    • Blake Robert
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
        Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
          If I'm not mistaken, Ebay sellers pay a percentage of the sale price to
          Ebay as fee for listing the item and making the sale. Some sellers
          price the item very low, but charge silly shipping prices to lower their
          exposure to these commission fees.

          Always consider the "landed" price when buying on Ebay.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
            Ralph, I actually do have one of those 12 volt cig lighter plug-in
            blankets-works great in the car spread over my lap & legs. But I've yet to
            try it in the hammock. I'm sure it will work just fine for hammocks-at
            least for the few hours before the battery is drained! A 110v electric
            blanket should also give great warmth, as you say, as long as the outlet is
            nearby!

            I've also checked into 12 volt wired jackets & suits (a la motorcycle &
            snowmobile riders)---but again, it's the same battery problem. I've also
            done a bit of research on a circulating hot-water system with a candle flame
            heat source-but again, weight, bulk & reliability problems make such a
            system unsuitable. So that brings us back to using our bodies as the most
            reliable heat source when away from electricity-and thus the need for
            PeaPods, SnugFit UnderQuilts, TopBlankets & insulated sleeping pads to trap
            & prevent the loss of that body heat..Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Author, Hammock Camping book

            Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
              there are different kinds of camping. my motto is "i can rough it if
              i have to".
              my wife would like this idea. usually we take the down comforter car
              camping. if it's too cold for that, we're in front of the fireplace at
              home.
              if you do consider one of these, their so called "low draw" of 4 amps
              will require a fairly good battery. any electrical device that makes
              heat needs a lot of juice. i would not recommend using your car
              battery when the car is not running! a small jumper battery, usually
              about 17 AH will last about 4 hours and a large 55 AH deep cycle will
              probably hold up for one night.
              bill keiser

              "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

              > OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about
              plugging in,
              > I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,

              <http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA>

              > Ralph
            • Blake Robert
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                When I saw how high her standard UPS charge was-I wrote two questions to the seller-she responded to one about the item but did not address the question about a lower UPS rate for such a high shipment charges for less than 200 miles. UPS charges by distance as well as weight and size-so, she made some money there. But, she sent it out so fast, despite her site saying she sent out items one day of the week---that I gave her good feedback---but, NOT 5 stars for reasonable shipping rates.

                Blake Robert wrote:
                > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                  I FINALLY found a Therm-A-Rest (I have regular and prolite) where I
                  could feel the difference in comfort level...tho haven't tried it out
                  in the field for a whole night:

                  http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=130&cID=2

                  Also, I love the women's length. But I forgot to order the stuff
                  sack so haven't been able to see it rolled up. It will be OK for
                  kayak camping, but probably too bulky for backpacking.

                  sandy in miami

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide
                  sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same
                  material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the
                  standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only
                  thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to
                  the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit
                  high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

                • Arye P. R.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                    has anyone really priced other foam pads. The final price (w/s&h) for the ebay pad really isn't that bad when you consider what you get 72x32x.5". Others elsewhere are smaller 72x~20x.5", include at least 5.00 s&h or 5.00 if you are 15-20 miles each way from a Kmart or Walmart. And if you just go out and buy closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam from a foam shop you will certinally pay MORE.

                    closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam sleeping Pad / exercise mat

                    From REI
                    Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat 13.93 AND YOU WILL NEED ~<50% more to get 32" wide
                    Dimensions 72 x 20 x 0.63 inches
                    Weight 16 ounces
                    Packed size 20 x 7.75 inches

                    From Kmart Size not specified and find it in stock?
                    Wenzel Swissgear Cross-linked Foam Camp Pad
                    Kmart item# 089W848806110001 Mfr. model# SG157-222 6.99
                    Get two $5 Kmart coupons When you sign up for Kmart Emails

                    Sapere Aude,

                    Arye P. Rubenstein