RE: [Hammock Camping] Electric heating pad or blankets

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
      Ginohav, sounds like a great idea to me! While I've never actually tried an
      electric blanket or pad, it's often crossed my mind. I don't see why it
      wouldn't work well. Hope someone on this List can give us actual
      experience..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
        OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about plugging in,
        I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,
        I was gonna gently rib him and suggest more traditional backpacking ways to
        keep warm (hot rocks) (water bottle)(companion (canine or human))(excercise)

        I was gonna make the old joke about where I go I'd need a 100 mile extension
        cord.

        The my gmail brought up this side ad........

        http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA

        Hmmmm :]

        Ralph (as always "hike your own hike")

      • Blake Robert
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
          Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
            If I'm not mistaken, Ebay sellers pay a percentage of the sale price to
            Ebay as fee for listing the item and making the sale. Some sellers
            price the item very low, but charge silly shipping prices to lower their
            exposure to these commission fees.

            Always consider the "landed" price when buying on Ebay.

            Rich

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
              Ralph, I actually do have one of those 12 volt cig lighter plug-in
              blankets-works great in the car spread over my lap & legs. But I've yet to
              try it in the hammock. I'm sure it will work just fine for hammocks-at
              least for the few hours before the battery is drained! A 110v electric
              blanket should also give great warmth, as you say, as long as the outlet is
              nearby!

              I've also checked into 12 volt wired jackets & suits (a la motorcycle &
              snowmobile riders)---but again, it's the same battery problem. I've also
              done a bit of research on a circulating hot-water system with a candle flame
              heat source-but again, weight, bulk & reliability problems make such a
              system unsuitable. So that brings us back to using our bodies as the most
              reliable heat source when away from electricity-and thus the need for
              PeaPods, SnugFit UnderQuilts, TopBlankets & insulated sleeping pads to trap
              & prevent the loss of that body heat..Ed

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                there are different kinds of camping. my motto is "i can rough it if
                i have to".
                my wife would like this idea. usually we take the down comforter car
                camping. if it's too cold for that, we're in front of the fireplace at
                home.
                if you do consider one of these, their so called "low draw" of 4 amps
                will require a fairly good battery. any electrical device that makes
                heat needs a lot of juice. i would not recommend using your car
                battery when the car is not running! a small jumper battery, usually
                about 17 AH will last about 4 hours and a large 55 AH deep cycle will
                probably hold up for one night.
                bill keiser

                "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                > OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about
                plugging in,
                > I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,

                <http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA>

                > Ralph
              • Blake Robert
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                  When I saw how high her standard UPS charge was-I wrote two questions to the seller-she responded to one about the item but did not address the question about a lower UPS rate for such a high shipment charges for less than 200 miles. UPS charges by distance as well as weight and size-so, she made some money there. But, she sent it out so fast, despite her site saying she sent out items one day of the week---that I gave her good feedback---but, NOT 5 stars for reasonable shipping rates.

                  Blake Robert wrote:
                  > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                    I FINALLY found a Therm-A-Rest (I have regular and prolite) where I
                    could feel the difference in comfort level...tho haven't tried it out
                    in the field for a whole night:

                    http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=130&cID=2

                    Also, I love the women's length. But I forgot to order the stuff
                    sack so haven't been able to see it rolled up. It will be OK for
                    kayak camping, but probably too bulky for backpacking.

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide
                    sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same
                    material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the
                    standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only
                    thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to
                    the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit
                    high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

                  • Arye P. R.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                      has anyone really priced other foam pads. The final price (w/s&h) for the ebay pad really isn't that bad when you consider what you get 72x32x.5". Others elsewhere are smaller 72x~20x.5", include at least 5.00 s&h or 5.00 if you are 15-20 miles each way from a Kmart or Walmart. And if you just go out and buy closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam from a foam shop you will certinally pay MORE.

                      closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam sleeping Pad / exercise mat

                      From REI
                      Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat 13.93 AND YOU WILL NEED ~<50% more to get 32" wide
                      Dimensions 72 x 20 x 0.63 inches
                      Weight 16 ounces
                      Packed size 20 x 7.75 inches

                      From Kmart Size not specified and find it in stock?
                      Wenzel Swissgear Cross-linked Foam Camp Pad
                      Kmart item# 089W848806110001 Mfr. model# SG157-222 6.99
                      Get two $5 Kmart coupons When you sign up for Kmart Emails

                      Sapere Aude,

                      Arye P. Rubenstein