Electric heating pad or blankets

  • ginohav
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2008
      Hello, I have spent many nights off the beaten track camping with a pad
      and a army extreme sleeping bag and have been toasty warm. In NE a few
      campgrounds are open all winter with electricity at each site. Why not
      just plug in a heating pad or electric blanket? This may have been
      brought up before but,if you are camping in winter at a campground that
      has electricity why not just plug in?
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
        Ginohav, sounds like a great idea to me! While I've never actually tried an
        electric blanket or pad, it's often crossed my mind. I don't see why it
        wouldn't work well. Hope someone on this List can give us actual
        experience..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Author, Hammock Camping book

        Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
          OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about plugging in,
          I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,
          I was gonna gently rib him and suggest more traditional backpacking ways to
          keep warm (hot rocks) (water bottle)(companion (canine or human))(excercise)

          I was gonna make the old joke about where I go I'd need a 100 mile extension
          cord.

          The my gmail brought up this side ad........

          http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA

          Hmmmm :]

          Ralph (as always "hike your own hike")

        • Blake Robert
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
            Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
              If I'm not mistaken, Ebay sellers pay a percentage of the sale price to
              Ebay as fee for listing the item and making the sale. Some sellers
              price the item very low, but charge silly shipping prices to lower their
              exposure to these commission fees.

              Always consider the "landed" price when buying on Ebay.

              Rich

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
                Ralph, I actually do have one of those 12 volt cig lighter plug-in
                blankets-works great in the car spread over my lap & legs. But I've yet to
                try it in the hammock. I'm sure it will work just fine for hammocks-at
                least for the few hours before the battery is drained! A 110v electric
                blanket should also give great warmth, as you say, as long as the outlet is
                nearby!

                I've also checked into 12 volt wired jackets & suits (a la motorcycle &
                snowmobile riders)---but again, it's the same battery problem. I've also
                done a bit of research on a circulating hot-water system with a candle flame
                heat source-but again, weight, bulk & reliability problems make such a
                system unsuitable. So that brings us back to using our bodies as the most
                reliable heat source when away from electricity-and thus the need for
                PeaPods, SnugFit UnderQuilts, TopBlankets & insulated sleeping pads to trap
                & prevent the loss of that body heat..Ed

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                  there are different kinds of camping. my motto is "i can rough it if
                  i have to".
                  my wife would like this idea. usually we take the down comforter car
                  camping. if it's too cold for that, we're in front of the fireplace at
                  home.
                  if you do consider one of these, their so called "low draw" of 4 amps
                  will require a fairly good battery. any electrical device that makes
                  heat needs a lot of juice. i would not recommend using your car
                  battery when the car is not running! a small jumper battery, usually
                  about 17 AH will last about 4 hours and a large 55 AH deep cycle will
                  probably hold up for one night.
                  bill keiser

                  "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                  > OK, I was gonna make fun of the gentleman's suggestion about
                  plugging in,
                  > I was gonna say if you are plugged in it wasn't "real" camping,

                  <http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html?gclid=CO6SxLqwsZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA>

                  > Ralph
                • Blake Robert
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                    When I saw how high her standard UPS charge was-I wrote two questions to the seller-she responded to one about the item but did not address the question about a lower UPS rate for such a high shipment charges for less than 200 miles. UPS charges by distance as well as weight and size-so, she made some money there. But, she sent it out so fast, despite her site saying she sent out items one day of the week---that I gave her good feedback---but, NOT 5 stars for reasonable shipping rates.

                    Blake Robert wrote:
                    > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                      I FINALLY found a Therm-A-Rest (I have regular and prolite) where I
                      could feel the difference in comfort level...tho haven't tried it out
                      in the field for a whole night:

                      http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=130&cID=2

                      Also, I love the women's length. But I forgot to order the stuff
                      sack so haven't been able to see it rolled up. It will be OK for
                      kayak camping, but probably too bulky for backpacking.

                      sandy in miami

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Re. sleeping pads: if you search ebay with the search terms: wide
                      sleeping pad---there is a seller offering a pad made of the same
                      material as a military pad but 1/2" thick, 32" wide, plus, the
                      standard 6' long and rolling to 8" wide. I bought two and the only
                      thing I did not like is that the surface is a bit smooth compared to
                      the military issue ones. I also thought the shipping charge was a bit
                      high for the Phoenix area to Flagstaff. But, it did arrive very fast.

                    • Arye P. R.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                        has anyone really priced other foam pads. The final price (w/s&h) for the ebay pad really isn't that bad when you consider what you get 72x32x.5". Others elsewhere are smaller 72x~20x.5", include at least 5.00 s&h or 5.00 if you are 15-20 miles each way from a Kmart or Walmart. And if you just go out and buy closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam from a foam shop you will certinally pay MORE.

                        closed cell cross linked polyethylene foam sleeping Pad / exercise mat

                        From REI
                        Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat 13.93 AND YOU WILL NEED ~<50% more to get 32" wide
                        Dimensions 72 x 20 x 0.63 inches
                        Weight 16 ounces
                        Packed size 20 x 7.75 inches

                        From Kmart Size not specified and find it in stock?
                        Wenzel Swissgear Cross-linked Foam Camp Pad
                        Kmart item# 089W848806110001 Mfr. model# SG157-222 6.99
                        Get two $5 Kmart coupons When you sign up for Kmart Emails

                        Sapere Aude,

                        Arye P. Rubenstein