Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
      All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

      Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      From: Dave Womble <dpwomble@...>
      You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
      tents as well.  The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
      cooler months even when used on the ground.  That is basically
      ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat.  The
      reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
      insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
      thicker/heavier models.  That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
      get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
      uncomfortably cool nights because of it.  I started out with their
      comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
      but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
      proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about.  Other folks
      I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
      challenging nights at staying warm.

      When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
      and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at.  Sometimes
      people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
      bottom side insulation.  If you are cold because you don't have enough
      bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
      more top side insulation.  That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
      hammocks, etc.  What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
      bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
      insulation too much.  In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
      me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
      start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
      ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
      them warm.)

    • Bruce W. Calkins
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
        That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

        Black Wolfe
        Bruce W.