Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
      Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

      MacGyver

      ________________________________

      From: Bruce W. Calkins blackwolfe@...
      I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
      with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing.  I
      have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
      testing.  I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
      fall with moderate success.  Some trimming would help that one, especially
      after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
        <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

        > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
        send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

        > MacGyver

        You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
        tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
        cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
        ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
        reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
        insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
        thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
        get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
        uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
        comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
        but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
        proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
        I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
        challenging nights at staying warm.

        When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
        and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
        people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
        bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
        bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
        more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
        hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
        bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
        insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
        me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
        start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
        ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
        them warm.)
      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
          All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

          Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

          MacGyver

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
            That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

            Black Wolfe
            Bruce W.