Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
      I guess I meant, "Would my ThermaRest work?"  Skip the "regular" part. I  use a Women's ProLite 3. It's pretty narrow, I guess. How about a 22" wide closed-cell foam pad?

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      From: Dave Womble dpwomble@...

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
      <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

      > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
      think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
      NH and ME.

      > MacGyver

      I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
      you might realize.  There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
      the amount of insulation varies between the various pads.  Some might
      be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
      adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
      snow, and many fall in between.

      Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
      hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
      and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
      Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
      that.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp

    • Bruce W. Calkins
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
        I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
        with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing. I
        have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
        testing. I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
        fall with moderate success. Some trimming would help that one, especially
        after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

        Bruce W.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
          Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

          MacGyver

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
            <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

            > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
            send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

            > MacGyver

            You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
            tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
            cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
            ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
            reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
            insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
            thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
            get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
            uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
            comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
            but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
            proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
            I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
            challenging nights at staying warm.

            When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
            and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
            people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
            bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
            bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
            more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
            hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
            bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
            insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
            me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
            start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
            ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
            them warm.)
          • EHamilton
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
              All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

              Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

              MacGyver

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

                Black Wolfe
                Bruce W.