Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
      <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

      > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
      think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
      NH and ME.

      > MacGyver

      I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
      you might realize. There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
      the amount of insulation varies between the various pads. Some might
      be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
      adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
      snow, and many fall in between.

      Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
      hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
      and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
      Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
      that.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp
    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
        I guess I meant, "Would my ThermaRest work?"  Skip the "regular" part. I  use a Women's ProLite 3. It's pretty narrow, I guess. How about a 22" wide closed-cell foam pad?

        MacGyver

        ________________________________
        From: Dave Womble dpwomble@...

        <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

        > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
        think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
        NH and ME.

        > MacGyver

        I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
        you might realize.  There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
        the amount of insulation varies between the various pads.  Some might
        be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
        adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
        snow, and many fall in between.

        Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
        hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
        and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
        Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
        that.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood AT2000
        WinterTarp

      • Bruce W. Calkins
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
          I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
          with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing. I
          have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
          testing. I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
          fall with moderate success. Some trimming would help that one, especially
          after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

          Bruce W.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
            Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

            MacGyver

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
              <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

              > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
              send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

              > MacGyver

              You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
              tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
              cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
              ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
              reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
              insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
              thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
              get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
              uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
              comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
              but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
              proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
              I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
              challenging nights at staying warm.

              When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
              and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
              people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
              bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
              bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
              more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
              hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
              bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
              insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
              me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
              start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
              ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
              them warm.)
            • EHamilton
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

                Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

                MacGyver

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                  That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

                  Black Wolfe
                  Bruce W.