Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
      I've got the orange lightweight thermarest 4L and I used it all last year in my claytor for mountain camping in the spring while snow was still on the ground and slept completely comfy. Only issue I really had is the foot area of my pad is tapered and since I sleep on a slight diagonal the way I hang my feet tend to creep off the pad. I supplement my camp pad with some closed cell foam pads from REI and some of that reflectivix stuff (bubble-wrap covered with mylar sheeting) to achieve complete backside coverage and I like to hang my hammock low, inside my speer winter tarp, and roll out a length of that reflectivix stuff on the floor. Seems to really help keep the cold spots away for me.

      Eventually, I'll make myself a down underquilt so I can take the pads out of the equation. ;o)

      From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

      Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
      pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
      with a quilt hung under the hammock.

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
        <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

        > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
        think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
        NH and ME.

        > MacGyver

        I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
        you might realize. There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
        the amount of insulation varies between the various pads. Some might
        be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
        adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
        snow, and many fall in between.

        Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
        hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
        and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
        Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
        that.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood AT2000
        WinterTarp
      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
          I guess I meant, "Would my ThermaRest work?"  Skip the "regular" part. I  use a Women's ProLite 3. It's pretty narrow, I guess. How about a 22" wide closed-cell foam pad?

          MacGyver

          ________________________________
          From: Dave Womble dpwomble@...

          <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

          > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
          think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
          NH and ME.

          > MacGyver

          I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
          you might realize.  There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
          the amount of insulation varies between the various pads.  Some might
          be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
          adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
          snow, and many fall in between.

          Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
          hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
          and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
          Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
          that.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood AT2000
          WinterTarp

        • Bruce W. Calkins
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
            I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
            with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing. I
            have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
            testing. I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
            fall with moderate success. Some trimming would help that one, especially
            after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

            Bruce W.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
              Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

              MacGyver

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
                send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                > MacGyver

                You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
                tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
                cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
                ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
                reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
                insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
                thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
                get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
                uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
                comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
                but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
                proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
                I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
                challenging nights at staying warm.

                When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
                and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
                people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
                bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
                bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
                more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
                hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
                bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
                insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
                me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
                start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
                ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
                them warm.)
              • EHamilton
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                  All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

                  Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

                  MacGyver

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                    That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

                    Black Wolfe
                    Bruce W.