Re: Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • Barb
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
      My husband and I both own Clark Jungle Hammocks and I can't say
      enough good things about being up off the ground. We use Big Agnes
      insulated sleeping bads and with down bags and the right clothes have
      stayed pretty cozy. I wouldn't trade my Hammock for a
      tent.....unless of course there are no trees on which to hang our
      hammocks : )

      Bathing might be a bit of a challenge, but you can hide yourself
      pretty well under the tarp of the hammock.

      I don't have any trouble dressing in my hammock, and I love that
      there are pockets outside the hammock to store anything within easy
      reach. You can sit in your hammock, slip off your boots, put them in
      a plastic bag and tuck them in a pocket on the outside of the hammock.

      Nobody should camp without a hammock. I look forward to trips so
      much more now that I found the equipment to make it more comfortable.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bayern" <plcmark@...>
      wrote:

      > Good questions.
      >
      > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
      in "Bridge
      > > freezes before road surface")
      >
      > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
      > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
      > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
      >
      > > ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
      > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
      on a

      > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
      > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my
      lower
      > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations
      where
      > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it
      in a
      > tent or a hammock.
      >
      > > ... and whether I'd like it....
      >
      > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
      > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping
      group,
      > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
      >

      > Mark
      >

      > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>
      wrote:
      > > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're
      going to be
      > > in New Orleans. Darn.
      > >
      > > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating
      switching
      > > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike
      starting
      > > April 1.
      > >
      > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
      in "Bridge
      > > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing
      clothes,
      > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
      on a
      > > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can
      borrow one
      > > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one
      and then find
      > > I prefer tenting/tarping.
      > >
      > > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its
      edges, and
      > > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp,
      whose many
      > > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which
      keeps bugs,
      > > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one
      or at most
      > > two tricks.
      > >
      > > Decisions, decisions...
      > >
      > > MacGyver
      > >
      > > ________________________________

      Eve on
      > > Springer.
      > >
      > > The following link provides more details:
      > > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/Springer08.htm
      > >
      > > Happy Hammocking....Ed
      > >
      > > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      > > Author, Hammock Camping book
      > > Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc

    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
        Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in NH and ME.

        MacGyver

        ________________________________
        From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

        Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
        pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
        with a quilt hung under the hammock.

        On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
        > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're going to be
        > in New Orleans.  Darn.
        >
        > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating switching
        > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike starting
        > April 1.
        >
        > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
        > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing clothes,
        > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
        > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can borrow one
        > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one and then find
        > I prefer tenting/tarping.
        >
        > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its edges, and
        > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp, whose many
        > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which keeps bugs,
        > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one or at most
        > two tricks.
        >
        > Decisions, decisions...
        >
        > MacGyver
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
          I use a PeaPod with an extra quilt inside for temps into the teens.
          Love it!

          You definitely give up convenience and privacy for comfort. I switched
          4 years ago and would only go to the ground if there was nothing to hang
          from.

          One thing gained, though, since I use an 8 x 10 tarp over my hammock, is
          a large covered area for several people to hang out under and cook under
          if it rains. This is something I did not have with my tent.

          Hang in there!

          Rich

          Mark Bayern wrote:
          > Good questions.
          >

          >> My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
          >> freezes before road surface")
          >>

          > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
          > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
          > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
          >

          >> ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
          >> bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
          >>

          > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
          > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my lower
          > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations where
          > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it in a
          > tent or a hammock.
          >

          >> ... and whether I'd like it....
          >>

          > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
          > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping group,
          > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
          >

          > Mark

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
            I've got the orange lightweight thermarest 4L and I used it all last year in my claytor for mountain camping in the spring while snow was still on the ground and slept completely comfy. Only issue I really had is the foot area of my pad is tapered and since I sleep on a slight diagonal the way I hang my feet tend to creep off the pad. I supplement my camp pad with some closed cell foam pads from REI and some of that reflectivix stuff (bubble-wrap covered with mylar sheeting) to achieve complete backside coverage and I like to hang my hammock low, inside my speer winter tarp, and roll out a length of that reflectivix stuff on the floor. Seems to really help keep the cold spots away for me.

            Eventually, I'll make myself a down underquilt so I can take the pads out of the equation. ;o)

            From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
              <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

              > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
              think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
              NH and ME.

              > MacGyver

              I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
              you might realize. There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
              the amount of insulation varies between the various pads. Some might
              be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
              adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
              snow, and many fall in between.

              Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
              hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
              and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
              Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
              that.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood AT2000
              WinterTarp
            • EHamilton
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                I guess I meant, "Would my ThermaRest work?"  Skip the "regular" part. I  use a Women's ProLite 3. It's pretty narrow, I guess. How about a 22" wide closed-cell foam pad?

                MacGyver

                ________________________________
                From: Dave Womble dpwomble@...

                <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
                think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
                NH and ME.

                > MacGyver

                I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
                you might realize.  There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
                the amount of insulation varies between the various pads.  Some might
                be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
                adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
                snow, and many fall in between.

                Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
                hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
                and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
                Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
                that.

                Dave Womble
                aka Youngblood AT2000
                WinterTarp

              • Bruce W. Calkins
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                  I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
                  with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing. I
                  have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
                  testing. I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
                  fall with moderate success. Some trimming would help that one, especially
                  after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

                  Bruce W.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                    MacGyver

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                      <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                      > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
                      send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                      > MacGyver

                      You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
                      tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
                      cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
                      ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
                      reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
                      insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
                      thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
                      get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
                      uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
                      comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
                      but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
                      proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
                      I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
                      challenging nights at staying warm.

                      When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
                      and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
                      people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
                      bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
                      bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
                      more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
                      hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
                      bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
                      insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
                      me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
                      start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
                      ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
                      them warm.)
                    • EHamilton
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                        All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

                        Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

                        MacGyver

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                          That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

                          Black Wolfe
                          Bruce W.