Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
      "Shoot, I thought you knew to bring someone hot blooded to warm up against!"

      LOL Hum, good in theroy but my HB is definetly a heat sink with being a much
      colder sleeper then I.
      I did try to coax the big back friendly dog running around to my tent to
      sleep on my feet. Poor Dog seamed to have other plans to stay outside runing
      around all night enjoying the cold.. I think the thermometer in our truck
      said 16 degrees the next morining in the parking lot.

      My husbands Golden Retriver slept in the truck out of the cold wind all
      wraped up as he is too old for such extreme abuse. So am I but....
      Rogene.
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
        Good questions.

        > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
        > freezes before road surface")

        Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
        pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
        with a quilt hung under the hammock.

        > ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
        > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a

        I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
        necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my lower
        legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations where
        changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it in a
        tent or a hammock.

        > ... and whether I'd like it....

        Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
        decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping group,
        you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.

        Mark

        On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
        > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're going to be
        > in New Orleans. Darn.
        >
        > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating switching
        > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike starting
        > April 1.
        >
        > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
        > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing clothes,
        > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
        > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can borrow one
        > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one and then find
        > I prefer tenting/tarping.
        >
        > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its edges, and
        > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp, whose many
        > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which keeps bugs,
        > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one or at most
        > two tricks.
        >
        > Decisions, decisions...
        >
        > MacGyver
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Barb
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
          My husband and I both own Clark Jungle Hammocks and I can't say
          enough good things about being up off the ground. We use Big Agnes
          insulated sleeping bads and with down bags and the right clothes have
          stayed pretty cozy. I wouldn't trade my Hammock for a
          tent.....unless of course there are no trees on which to hang our
          hammocks : )

          Bathing might be a bit of a challenge, but you can hide yourself
          pretty well under the tarp of the hammock.

          I don't have any trouble dressing in my hammock, and I love that
          there are pockets outside the hammock to store anything within easy
          reach. You can sit in your hammock, slip off your boots, put them in
          a plastic bag and tuck them in a pocket on the outside of the hammock.

          Nobody should camp without a hammock. I look forward to trips so
          much more now that I found the equipment to make it more comfortable.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bayern" <plcmark@...>
          wrote:

          > Good questions.
          >
          > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
          in "Bridge
          > > freezes before road surface")
          >
          > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
          > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
          > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
          >
          > > ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
          > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
          on a

          > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
          > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my
          lower
          > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations
          where
          > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it
          in a
          > tent or a hammock.
          >
          > > ... and whether I'd like it....
          >
          > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
          > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping
          group,
          > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
          >

          > Mark
          >

          > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>
          wrote:
          > > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're
          going to be
          > > in New Orleans. Darn.
          > >
          > > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating
          switching
          > > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike
          starting
          > > April 1.
          > >
          > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
          in "Bridge
          > > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing
          clothes,
          > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
          on a
          > > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can
          borrow one
          > > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one
          and then find
          > > I prefer tenting/tarping.
          > >
          > > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its
          edges, and
          > > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp,
          whose many
          > > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which
          keeps bugs,
          > > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one
          or at most
          > > two tricks.
          > >
          > > Decisions, decisions...
          > >
          > > MacGyver
          > >
          > > ________________________________

        • EHamilton
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
            Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in NH and ME.

            MacGyver

            ________________________________
            From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

            Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
            pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
            with a quilt hung under the hammock.

            On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
            > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're going to be
            > in New Orleans.  Darn.
            >
            > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating switching
            > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike starting
            > April 1.
            >
            > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
            > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing clothes,
            > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
            > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can borrow one
            > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one and then find
            > I prefer tenting/tarping.
            >
            > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its edges, and
            > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp, whose many
            > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which keeps bugs,
            > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one or at most
            > two tricks.
            >
            > Decisions, decisions...
            >
            > MacGyver
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
              I use a PeaPod with an extra quilt inside for temps into the teens.
              Love it!

              You definitely give up convenience and privacy for comfort. I switched
              4 years ago and would only go to the ground if there was nothing to hang
              from.

              One thing gained, though, since I use an 8 x 10 tarp over my hammock, is
              a large covered area for several people to hang out under and cook under
              if it rains. This is something I did not have with my tent.

              Hang in there!

              Rich

              Mark Bayern wrote:
              > Good questions.
              >

              >> My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
              >> freezes before road surface")
              >>

              > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
              > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
              > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
              >

              >> ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
              >> bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
              >>

              > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
              > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my lower
              > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations where
              > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it in a
              > tent or a hammock.
              >

              >> ... and whether I'd like it....
              >>

              > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
              > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping group,
              > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
              >

              > Mark

            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                I've got the orange lightweight thermarest 4L and I used it all last year in my claytor for mountain camping in the spring while snow was still on the ground and slept completely comfy. Only issue I really had is the foot area of my pad is tapered and since I sleep on a slight diagonal the way I hang my feet tend to creep off the pad. I supplement my camp pad with some closed cell foam pads from REI and some of that reflectivix stuff (bubble-wrap covered with mylar sheeting) to achieve complete backside coverage and I like to hang my hammock low, inside my speer winter tarp, and roll out a length of that reflectivix stuff on the floor. Seems to really help keep the cold spots away for me.

                Eventually, I'll make myself a down underquilt so I can take the pads out of the equation. ;o)

                From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
                  <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                  > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
                  think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
                  NH and ME.

                  > MacGyver

                  I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
                  you might realize. There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
                  the amount of insulation varies between the various pads. Some might
                  be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
                  adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
                  snow, and many fall in between.

                  Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
                  hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
                  and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
                  Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
                  that.

                  Dave Womble
                  aka Youngblood AT2000
                  WinterTarp
                • EHamilton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                    I guess I meant, "Would my ThermaRest work?"  Skip the "regular" part. I  use a Women's ProLite 3. It's pretty narrow, I guess. How about a 22" wide closed-cell foam pad?

                    MacGyver

                    ________________________________
                    From: Dave Womble dpwomble@...

                    <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                    > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
                    think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
                    NH and ME.

                    > MacGyver

                    I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
                    you might realize.  There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
                    the amount of insulation varies between the various pads.  Some might
                    be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
                    adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
                    snow, and many fall in between.

                    Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
                    hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
                    and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
                    Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
                    that.

                    Dave Womble
                    aka Youngblood AT2000
                    WinterTarp

                  • Bruce W. Calkins
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                      I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
                      with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing. I
                      have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
                      testing. I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
                      fall with moderate success. Some trimming would help that one, especially
                      after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

                      Bruce W.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                        Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                        MacGyver

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                          <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                          > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
                          send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                          > MacGyver

                          You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
                          tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
                          cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
                          ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
                          reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
                          insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
                          thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
                          get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
                          uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
                          comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
                          but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
                          proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
                          I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
                          challenging nights at staying warm.

                          When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
                          and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
                          people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
                          bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
                          bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
                          more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
                          hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
                          bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
                          insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
                          me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
                          start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
                          ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
                          them warm.)
                        • EHamilton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                            All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

                            Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

                            MacGyver

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                              That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

                              Black Wolfe
                              Bruce W.