Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
      I hope everyone is planning to attend our annual winter hammock campout
      on Springer Mtn, GA. Here in western NC, its now turned quite cold
      with some nights in the teens, so cold weather has difinately arrived.
      The Springer Mtn campout is often a real test for winterized hammocks,
      although we've seen lows only in the 40s before. If planning to join
      us, you should keep a close eye on the weather, as the access road is
      gravel & not maintained in the winter--snow or ice can easily make it
      unpassable. In spite of the weather, we often have 10-20 hammock
      campers plus an equal number of ground sleepers for New Year's Eve on
      Springer.

      The following link provides more details:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/Springer08.htm

      Happy Hammocking....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
        Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're going to be in New Orleans.  Darn.

        I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating switching from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike starting April 1.

        My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing clothes, bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can borrow one from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one and then find I prefer tenting/tarping.

        But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its edges, and you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp, whose many uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which keeps bugs, rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one or at most two tricks.

        Decisions, decisions...

        MacGyver

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
          I don't know Ed last year New Years was well under your stated 40 degress.
          Every one seamed to have gone to warm sleeping bags or had already rith the
          road for a warm hotel when I arrived. I was cold all night with two down
          bags around me in a tent and fleece clothing.
          Everything was frozen including me.
          Rogene

        • amendment2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
            Shoot, I thought you knew to bring someone hot blooded to warm up against!
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            >I hope everyone is planning to attend our annual winter hammock campout
            > on Springer Mtn, GA. Here in western NC, its now turned quite cold
            > with some nights in the teens, so cold weather has difinately arrived.
            > The Springer Mtn campout is often a real test for winterized hammocks,
            > although we've seen lows only in the 40s before. If planning to join
            > us, you should keep a close eye on the weather, as the access road is
            > gravel & not maintained in the winter--snow or ice can easily make it
            > unpassable. In spite of the weather, we often have 10-20 hammock
            > campers plus an equal number of ground sleepers for New Year's Eve on
            > Springer.
            >
            > The following link provides more details:
            > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/Springer08.htm
            >
            > Happy Hammocking....Ed
            >
            > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
            > Author, Hammock Camping book
            > Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc

          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
              "Shoot, I thought you knew to bring someone hot blooded to warm up against!"

              LOL Hum, good in theroy but my HB is definetly a heat sink with being a much
              colder sleeper then I.
              I did try to coax the big back friendly dog running around to my tent to
              sleep on my feet. Poor Dog seamed to have other plans to stay outside runing
              around all night enjoying the cold.. I think the thermometer in our truck
              said 16 degrees the next morining in the parking lot.

              My husbands Golden Retriver slept in the truck out of the cold wind all
              wraped up as he is too old for such extreme abuse. So am I but....
              Rogene.
            • Mark Bayern
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                Good questions.

                > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
                > freezes before road surface")

                Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
                pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
                with a quilt hung under the hammock.

                > ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
                > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a

                I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
                necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my lower
                legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations where
                changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it in a
                tent or a hammock.

                > ... and whether I'd like it....

                Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
                decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping group,
                you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.

                Mark

                On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
                > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're going to be
                > in New Orleans. Darn.
                >
                > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating switching
                > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike starting
                > April 1.
                >
                > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
                > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing clothes,
                > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
                > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can borrow one
                > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one and then find
                > I prefer tenting/tarping.
                >
                > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its edges, and
                > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp, whose many
                > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which keeps bugs,
                > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one or at most
                > two tricks.
                >
                > Decisions, decisions...
                >
                > MacGyver
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Barb
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                  My husband and I both own Clark Jungle Hammocks and I can't say
                  enough good things about being up off the ground. We use Big Agnes
                  insulated sleeping bads and with down bags and the right clothes have
                  stayed pretty cozy. I wouldn't trade my Hammock for a
                  tent.....unless of course there are no trees on which to hang our
                  hammocks : )

                  Bathing might be a bit of a challenge, but you can hide yourself
                  pretty well under the tarp of the hammock.

                  I don't have any trouble dressing in my hammock, and I love that
                  there are pockets outside the hammock to store anything within easy
                  reach. You can sit in your hammock, slip off your boots, put them in
                  a plastic bag and tuck them in a pocket on the outside of the hammock.

                  Nobody should camp without a hammock. I look forward to trips so
                  much more now that I found the equipment to make it more comfortable.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bayern" <plcmark@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Good questions.
                  >
                  > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
                  in "Bridge
                  > > freezes before road surface")
                  >
                  > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
                  > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
                  > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
                  >
                  > > ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
                  > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
                  on a

                  > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
                  > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my
                  lower
                  > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations
                  where
                  > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it
                  in a
                  > tent or a hammock.
                  >
                  > > ... and whether I'd like it....
                  >
                  > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
                  > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping
                  group,
                  > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
                  >

                  > Mark
                  >

                  > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're
                  going to be
                  > > in New Orleans. Darn.
                  > >
                  > > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating
                  switching
                  > > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike
                  starting
                  > > April 1.
                  > >
                  > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
                  in "Bridge
                  > > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing
                  clothes,
                  > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
                  on a
                  > > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can
                  borrow one
                  > > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one
                  and then find
                  > > I prefer tenting/tarping.
                  > >
                  > > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its
                  edges, and
                  > > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp,
                  whose many
                  > > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which
                  keeps bugs,
                  > > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one
                  or at most
                  > > two tricks.
                  > >
                  > > Decisions, decisions...
                  > >
                  > > MacGyver
                  > >
                  > > ________________________________

                • EHamilton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in NH and ME.

                    MacGyver

                    ________________________________
                    From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

                    Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
                    pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
                    with a quilt hung under the hammock.

                    On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
                    > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're going to be
                    > in New Orleans.  Darn.
                    >
                    > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating switching
                    > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike starting
                    > April 1.
                    >
                    > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
                    > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing clothes,
                    > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
                    > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can borrow one
                    > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one and then find
                    > I prefer tenting/tarping.
                    >
                    > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its edges, and
                    > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp, whose many
                    > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which keeps bugs,
                    > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one or at most
                    > two tricks.
                    >
                    > Decisions, decisions...
                    >
                    > MacGyver
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Richard Perlman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2008
                      I use a PeaPod with an extra quilt inside for temps into the teens.
                      Love it!

                      You definitely give up convenience and privacy for comfort. I switched
                      4 years ago and would only go to the ground if there was nothing to hang
                      from.

                      One thing gained, though, since I use an 8 x 10 tarp over my hammock, is
                      a large covered area for several people to hang out under and cook under
                      if it rains. This is something I did not have with my tent.

                      Hang in there!

                      Rich

                      Mark Bayern wrote:
                      > Good questions.
                      >

                      >> My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as in "Bridge
                      >> freezes before road surface")
                      >>

                      > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
                      > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
                      > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
                      >

                      >> ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
                      >> bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out on a
                      >>

                      > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
                      > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my lower
                      > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations where
                      > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it in a
                      > tent or a hammock.
                      >

                      >> ... and whether I'd like it....
                      >>

                      > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
                      > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping group,
                      > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
                      >

                      > Mark

                    • Tom Frazier
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                        I've got the orange lightweight thermarest 4L and I used it all last year in my claytor for mountain camping in the spring while snow was still on the ground and slept completely comfy. Only issue I really had is the foot area of my pad is tapered and since I sleep on a slight diagonal the way I hang my feet tend to creep off the pad. I supplement my camp pad with some closed cell foam pads from REI and some of that reflectivix stuff (bubble-wrap covered with mylar sheeting) to achieve complete backside coverage and I like to hang my hammock low, inside my speer winter tarp, and roll out a length of that reflectivix stuff on the floor. Seems to really help keep the cold spots away for me.

                        Eventually, I'll make myself a down underquilt so I can take the pads out of the equation. ;o)

                        From: Mark Bayern plcmark@...

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton
                          <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                          > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
                          think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
                          NH and ME.

                          > MacGyver

                          I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
                          you might realize. There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
                          the amount of insulation varies between the various pads. Some might
                          be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
                          adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
                          snow, and many fall in between.

                          Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
                          hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
                          and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
                          Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
                          that.

                          Dave Womble
                          aka Youngblood AT2000
                          WinterTarp
                        • EHamilton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                            I guess I meant, "Would my ThermaRest work?"  Skip the "regular" part. I  use a Women's ProLite 3. It's pretty narrow, I guess. How about a 22" wide closed-cell foam pad?

                            MacGyver

                            ________________________________
                            From: Dave Womble dpwomble@...

                            <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                            > Would putting my regular ThermaRest inside it be adequate, you
                            think? I'm only expecting cold nights at the start and then again in
                            NH and ME.

                            > MacGyver

                            I don't think there is a regular ThermaRest, there is more to it than
                            you might realize.  There are quite a variety of ThermaRest pads and
                            the amount of insulation varies between the various pads.  Some might
                            be enough by themselves while others might not... some are only
                            adequate for summer temperatures, others are adequate for sleeping on
                            snow, and many fall in between.

                            Most people do find that they need something wider using pads in
                            hammocks because of the wrapping nature of a hammock on your shoulders
                            and how that tends to compress sleeping bags or quilts in that area.
                            Well placed clothes, stuff sacks or a segmented pad extender help with
                            that.

                            Dave Womble
                            aka Youngblood AT2000
                            WinterTarp

                          • Bruce W. Calkins
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                              I find that a crossed pair of 3 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch closed cell pads
                              with a 3/4 length thermarest on top of that might get me to freezing. I
                              have a few ideas for colder, but at this point, I have little time to spend
                              testing. I did try a twin sized mattress pad slung under the hammock last
                              fall with moderate success. Some trimming would help that one, especially
                              after the cat sharpened her claws on it last summer.

                              Bruce W.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                                Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                                MacGyver

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                                  <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

                                  > Kinda sounds like, if I want to try a hammock, I'll have my  husband
                                  send it to me with my summer sleeping bag...

                                  > MacGyver

                                  You can get cold from underneath with pads sleeping in shelters or
                                  tents as well. The ProLite3 might not be enough by itself in the
                                  cooler months even when used on the ground. That is basically
                                  ThermaRest's lightest and less insulating self inflating mat. The
                                  reason it is the lightest is because it doesn't have as much
                                  insulation as say the ProLite4 does or even some of the other
                                  thicker/heavier models. That said, a lot of AT thru hikers probably
                                  get by with using it the whole way, but they might have some
                                  uncomfortably cool nights because of it. I started out with their
                                  comparable 1" model that predated the ProLite3 when I did my thru hike
                                  but I was able to avoid most of the cold conditions... I wasn't too
                                  proud to stay in motels and such when storms where about. Other folks
                                  I hiked around/with weren't always so fortunate and they had some real
                                  challenging nights at staying warm.

                                  When you get cold sleeping outdoors, you need to try and pay attention
                                  and see if you can localize where you are getting cold at. Sometimes
                                  people blame their top side insulation when their issue is their
                                  bottom side insulation. If you are cold because you don't have enough
                                  bottom side insulation, you aren't going to be okay by just adding
                                  more top side insulation. That holds true in shelters, tents, tarps,
                                  hammocks, etc. What you can do in those situations is get cold on the
                                  bottom and be too hot and sweating on top if you mismatch your
                                  insulation too much. In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to
                                  me to use a 0F sleeping bag with just a ProLite3 when a ProLite3 might
                                  start being insufficient for 'you' at 30 to 40F when sleeping on the
                                  ground. (I emphasised 'you' because individuals can vary on what keeps
                                  them warm.)
                                • EHamilton
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    All good info. Actually I've been thinking of getting a second pad anyway, just a $6 closed-cell from Wal-Mart, for the extra cushioning. Bones getting a little creaky here, I ain't a young'un.

                                    Now we're getting back into the advantages of a hammock.... no hard surfaces.

                                    MacGyver

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                                      That is what it took for my wife to get comfortable sleeping on the ground.

                                      Black Wolfe
                                      Bruce W.