[Hammock Camping] Re:Is 1 stud enough?

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
      You are right. I thought about that too. I did use the same size
      eye-bolt for the top and bottom but I drilled good sized pilot holes
      for both. Now I realize that the top bolt can be pretty wimpy because
      it's only purpose is to stabilize the 2x4 and that mostly when putting
      up the beam.I have slept in the hammock 3 nights and it is VERY
      stable. Remember that the actual hammock hanging eyes are on the
      bottom of the 2x4.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, amendment2@... wrote:

      > The biggest problem I see with that is the potential for two
      eyebolts 3 1/2 to 4 inches apart to split the stud. You definitely
      want to drill a pilot hole and you want the hole centered on the
      studs. Good luck! Tell us how.it works out.
    • aethericpower
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

        > I've been out in the hammock quite a bit and want to hang a hammock in
        > a room in my house. I have a typical American house with 2x4 studs
        > that are 16" apart under gypsum board. My question is: If I screw a
        > eye-bolt with into a stud in each of the walls would it hold? Would
        > the horozontal pull possibly damage the walls. The walls are 9 feet
        > apart and non-load bearing. Would I need to structure the load over 2
        > studs? I weigh 200 lbs

        I used a metal pole hanging on window frames before. I used some
        clothing to stablize the pole from rolling on the frames. My hammock
        was tied to the pole.

        Currently I am using a stand that looks like this but cost me $19 from
        FogDog.
        http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-823104-Deluxe-Hammock-
        Stand/dp/B0019X00PC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
        goods&qid=1228778445&sr=1-6

        It works fine, just takes up a lot of space in terms of length.